General Info for New People

I was just diagnosed Last Monday and next Tuesday I go to my Neurosurgeon. What am I to expect. Does everyone have to have surgery??

Hi Vickie-

There are many factors that go into deciding the course of treatment. What size is the annie? What shape is it? Where is it located?

I will try to give you a brief view of what led me to surgery. I was diagnosed via an MRA. It was for something unrelated to my annie. I met with the 1st surgeon. Just based on the MRA, he thought the annie was 3-4 mm and could probably be coiled. He referred me to another surgeon who specializes in coiling. He looked at the MRA and thought it was a wait and see or possibly coiling. He ordered and angiogram. Based on the angiogram, things changed. The annie was actually 5.9 mm, bulged out in two places, and had a very wide neck. No more wait and see. It was now possibly pipeline (coiling with stent) but more likely clipping.

I met with several neurosurgeons and did lots of research. In the end I decided the best treatment for me was clipping. My suggestion to you is ask lots of questions, get lots of information, do tons of research, get a second and even third opinion, and make the best choice for YOU.

Terri

Hi Vickie...There are different procedures that may be offered...to help give you more information...click below and it will bring you to the Actual Home page of BAF ... and there is so much information...on brain aneurysm's and seeking medical help, procedures, etc.,

For example...my aneurysm was 9mm leaking on my basilar artery tip...I had a Neurosurgeon there for clipping if that would have to happen, but going into surgery I pretty well knew they were going to coil with a Interventionalist...take deep breaths...this is a long journey and takes "one step at a time"...start by writing down your questions for the surgeon...

http://www.bafound.org/

Hope this will help you out ... Colleen

Hi Vickie,

definately write down questions for the Neurosurgeon and bring someone with you perhaps, as having two sets of ears listening can be really beneficial (as when they're talking about YOUR brain, its easy to forget what has been said and freak out a little!)

Was the find an incidental find? did you have an Angiogram or MRA? Like Terri and Colleen said, there are so many variables that will be taken into account as everyone is different and where the annie is located, etc. Best of luck to you ! Peace to you as you wind your way thru it all, Janet

I went to the Neurosurgeon today. I actually have 2 Annies,,they found the other one today when they did an additional test on me. Both are behind my right eye. One is 10.6 mm and the other one is about 7mm. He called them Posterior Carotid Arterial. I am scheduled for a craniotomy on 10/9. I first have to go to my Primary care doctor a get a Cardiac Release. Have never had any heart problems so that is kind of confusing. Maybe he just wants to make sure because of my other symptoms I have been having.

Hey Vickie,

Glad you went to the Neurosurgeon today and got more info...i'm sorry to hear you've got 2 annies, hopefully though they'll both be fixed at the same time since they seem to be in the same area..What symptoms are you having (headaches, vision proplems?) They say many poeple never have any symptoms but I know I had symptoms with mine...I hope for nothing but peace as you wind your way thru all this, for a very ho-hum surgery and excellent recovery, if you have any questions about what to expect, etc. feel free to ask! Janet

Hi Vickie...You will be in my thoughts and prayers for the upcoming craniotomy...Ask your primary care Doctor why the release? It could be standard for surgery...

Take care of YOU...right now...it is important...this can be along journey, but we are all here for you ~ wishing you a beautiful day ~ Colleen

Yeah, I have to get a bunch of tests done before my coiling. I believe it’s standard procedure, so I wouldn’t worry about the cardiac release. Want to make sure your body is healthy for surgery, I’m sure.

Hi Vicki, It seems to me that there are different options for different people. The need for surgery depends on size, type and location of the aneurysm and the likelihood of rupture. The type of surgery again depends on location, size and feasibility. My aneurysm is 28mm and unruptured but couldn't be coiled- too big or clipped- too inaccessible so I had option of endovascular stenting or balloon occlusion. I chose stenting as I am 49 and didn't want the risk of losing 1 artery to the brain in case I get another aneurysm on another artery at a later date. So basically you just need to be guided by your surgeons. Sometimes they just wait and monitor.

Well, I am scheduled for a craineotomy on Friday the 11th. It was suppose to be Wednesday the 9th but they called today and changed it. I will have the clipping procedure done on both annies and since they are close together it will all be done at the same incision. Anyone out there who has had a clipping surgery done, please let me know what side affects to expect, if any.

Hi Vicki … I had my aneurysm clipped almost 13 years ago. It was an was an emergency surgery as it had ruptured. The surgery itself went well. My recovery seemed to take a long time. That said: I was back to work in 7 weeks and had no negative results if surgery. My biggest complaint was the fatigue. Brain surgery takes a toll on your body. But once I was weaned off the anti-seizure meds, I perked right up. This was long ago, so things might be easier now. Best of luck to you. I’m glad they caught yours early!

Good Luck! The anxiety leading up to the surgery was way worse then the actual surgery for me!

I had my surgery back in February. I was a little sick to my stomach after surgery but was up and walking the next day and home within 48 hours. I was on steroids for brain swelling for 5 days and had a headache on day 6 but that subsided next day. Biggest pain was not washing my hair for 10 days. Had to do the head tilt wash in the tub! I needed lots of rest and took 6 weeks off from work. First day home I was up at 6 am making coffee for the family then back to bed for naps all day. Listen to your body and resist pushing yourself.

You will do great!

Hi vickie I’m new to this site so I hope that this message will reach you ok. As some survivors from this discussion already said that “every case is different” that is so true. What we all have in common is the fact that we survived and getting on with our life as best as we could. We all had different treatmens and sideffects and we all heal in our own pace . The main thing to remember is to get to know what your body is telling you. Do not push yourself for anyone. In time you’ll feel better and stronger. Please avoid stressful situations and focus on the beauty around you. It helped me a great deal. Good luck.

Wishing you the very best on Friday!!

My surgeon went through my forehead, so my head was numb from my eyebrows up. It was easier for me to keep my eyes closed for a bit. I felt nauseous. I also could not keep down any oral pain meds they gave me. They finally found a pill that I could tolerate. I could only keep down a few sips of water and apply juice for the first 3 day. After that I was finally able to tolerate small bites of food. Applesauce and jello were my friends. :) I was pretty dizzy for the first 3 or 4 days. That made it hard to get up and walk like they wanted. The pain for me was actually not horrible. I think my biggest issue was not being able to get comfortable to get sleep. I am more of a side sleeper, and that made it difficult when I couldn't put pressure on the sides of my head.

When I got home, my husband kept track of my medication and dispense when it was time. Everyone would help me walk and I had family come to take care of my kids and help out.

Sending prayers for all to go well with your surgery tomorrow!

Prayers and positive thoughts for you and your surgical team tomorrow.

Terri

Hi Vickie

I am praying for your surgery and know an awesome recovery will bless you.

Sal