Flying with coils and stents

I had 2 coils and stents on each side done 2 years ago. At the time and to this day my doctor felt very strong as not to fly anymore. My husband, being a pilot got into a heated debate with the doctor. My husband still believes he is right and the doctor is wrong. He has made plans for us to go to Hawaii next week. I'm very nervous but he assures me everything will be fine (and yes, I believe he loves me and there are no insurance policies lol). Anyone have any input, could really use some feedback. Thank you.

I had my proceedure done in September. Since then I have flown to Germany and back

and this month I flew to the Domincan Republic. Other then a few panick attacks, I had

no big problem. However, if you do not feel comfortable flying, you must decide............

Dont put your life on hold and have an amazing time

Thanks Christa, does put my mind at ease.

I had my procedure done 7 years (Coils ) and 6 years (PED stent ) and I travelled a lot by flight ,almost 4 time Months with doctor green light.
I hope to get my next SAH /Coils anniversary next february ,16.
Take care

My doctor says the cabin pressure can cause problems, so apparently this is not an issue for either of you. He is a renowned doctor in this field so I would think he knows what he is talking about. But it does put my mind at ease knowing that others have flown without issues. Thank you both for taking the time with me, it helps. All the best!! And good luck Giovanni on the 16th!!

Renee, we have had this question come up many times. Perhaps do a search for more answers… I remember finding something from the Aviation people. Sorry I can’t be more concrete. It might be on Christa’s page…But this is what BAF has on their website. http://www.bafound.org/post-treatment-and-outcome

You might want to ask the doctor what he is basing his opinion on. I flew about a year out from rupture, just Charlotte to Reagan, I had no problems. My doctor even said I could hang glide but it rained the day we were going to go, or should I say I was going to go?



Moltroub said:

Renee, we have had this question come up many times. Perhaps do a search for more answers... I remember finding something from the Aviation people. Sorry I can't be more concrete. It might be on Christa's page...But this is what BAF has on their website. http://www.bafound.org/post-treatment-and-outcome

You might want to ask the doctor what he is basing his opinion on. I flew about a year out from rupture, just Charlotte to Reagan, I had no problems. My doctor even said I could hang glide but it rained the day we were going to go, or should I say I was going to go?

Thanks Moltroub. Doctor says it has to do with cabin pressurization that could cause the coils to compact or expand. Threw this out there just to see if anyone else has been told this. So far, positive responses and we will see this Tuesday. Have to admit I am a bit anxious and I did miss my one year angio due to having to have neck surgery which I think is just adding to this but I certainly appreciate everyone's feedback.

I flew 8 hours to Hawaii 17 months after my clipping and have flown at least 50 times since. No problem at all for me.

This is a new one for me and goes against everything I have previously read which all seems to indicate that it is ok to fly with coiling. However, when my aneurysm first ruptured it could only be partly coiled and they had to leave the neck uncoiled. I had a holiday booked to New York prior to the rupture and my doctor told me I would not be able to fly with the neck of the aneurysm untreated but he seemed to be saying that this was more because I would not be able to get any travel insurance if I told the insurance companies about the neck of my aneurysm. Has your doctor said whether this advice not to fly is specific to your case only or everyone who has a coiled aneurysm?

I really hope your doctor is wrong because now I have had my coiling completed with a stent I really want to fly to NY to have the holiday I missed out on!!

TTiger...and all...

A number of times...I have said I am looking for the pilot of the angio-craft who is highly skilled in take-off and landing... and, to remember the initial take-off begins in the groin / femoral artery...up the aorta..

The major take-off begins in one of the three major branches off the aortic arch: left common carotid, the left subclavian artery and the one brachiocephalic (aka innominate) to the' right' arteries...on up the neck and into whichever cerebral hemisphere

The devices implanted...should have the 'warnings / whatever'...addressed in the patient data that should have been provided to patient/spouse/partner/ whoever is w/the patient...

Hopefully that "patient data" is provided to anyone "waiting" for a procedure...and, not have it delivered when the storage/shipping 'box' of the device is opened to begin a procedure...for the patient to make a decision...

IF that is in the 'patient data' we'd know if the FDA has addressed these issues in their review / approval of corporate applications of any device / product...

At this time...only the neuro-docs really-really-really know the status of their procedure results and whatever exists on discharge... and, may choose/select displaying the angio images to support their recommendation/decision...