Flying after a shunt

Hi Everyone, has anyone ran into any problem. I haven't flown yet, but hoping too in June, that is after my 3 month FU with Neuro.

Please share what your experience has been.

Thanks,

Sandra

Hi Sue,

Thank you for the reply, and what a good answer! So glad. I did hear we don't go thru regular security. I have the card, with shunt name, my doctors name and number and other info.

Sandra

Sandra, I have flown several times. I went through regular security all times, no problems there or in the air at all with my shunt.
Shelly

That's great Shelly. May I ask what kind of shunt you have? My doctor gave me the card with all the info on it and his cell number in case something happens and especificaly for when flying. Today I have an MRI and they had to change location because of the type of shunt I have. The place I thought I was going to can't see me because of the type of shunt.

I also spoke with US Air and they told me that I wouldn't be able to go through regular security, and that the pilot when he gets his manifest, needs to know if any passengers have a shunt, or heart issues. I think for us with shunt, they can't desend too fast, apparently it can do something to it. I'm new with this...and everyone is different. Thanks for responding, I'm one that plans on not having any issues. I love to travel! Make it a great day.

Sandra

Hi Sandra, sounds like you have an awesome doctor. I was not told of any restrictions at all. My shunt is an Integra NeuroSciences Hydrocephalus Valve and it was put in 6/13/07. I know that it is safe for MRI’s as I have had a few. Where are you from? I am in Pittsburgh PA
Shelly

Hi Shelly, I think they are...I have the Codman Hakim shunt. 5 yrs can make a difference. I'm very cautious and I do ask questions. I wouldn't want to go through this again if I can help it. Where does your drain to?

We live in Gilbert, AZ

I'm originaly from Brazil, but grew up in Ct...we have lived in PA, a town called Landsdale, close to Philly. Out favorite team. Make it a great day!

Sandra

Sandra, mine drains to my stomach. When I lay in bed, if my stomach gurgles I can feel it (or hear it-not really sure which) in my head. That’s kind of wierd. I have learned to get used to it, I just make sure to let the salon know if someone new washes my hair, would probably creep someone out if I didn’t warn them. Sue, the medical advances are amazing and we are all fortunate for it.
Shelly