Flow diverter/stent 5 years after coiling. Please share your experiences

Dear @Longbeard: I love your mantra and I’ll make it mine too :slight_smile:

And dear @Julie2022 thank you so much for your answer: I do think the same, I trust my doc and his team and since they already saved my life once, well… I can only think positive!

Fingers crossed and all the best to all of you! Good luck to us!

Ciao!
Iris

2 Likes

Hi there! I am about 7 weeks out from having a PED(Pipeline Embolism Device) placed. I was dx on May 3rd with an unruptured fusiform PCA 7mm aneurysm. I am VERY lucky and blessed this was found prior to rupture. This was a rare and hard to treat aneurysm. There also was a little bulging sac off the vessel. I had an angiogram and balloon occlusion test at the end of May to see if they could sacrifice the parent vessel, but they couldn’t due to loss of vision and loss of motor movement during the balloon test. Mid June I had a flow diverter pipeline stent put in. I had to take baby aspirin and plavix for 2 weeks prior to the surgery and am still on both. Not sure how long I will be on the plavix but the baby aspirin for life. As far as we can tell the surgery went pretty well, will know more in December when I have an angiogram. I am having fatigue, headaches and vestibular issues but for the most part doing pretty good, considering. I only spent one night in the ICU. No big scars or major deficits. I hope this helps and good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you so much and sorry to reply only now …in December! How are you?
All my best wishes :green_heart:
Iris :sun_with_face:

Dear @restolz, I finally talked to my neurosurgeon again and as promised I asked the question if the diverter has to be replaced after 20-30 years and the answer is… NO :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed: So no worries at all. He said after 6 months from the implant of the diverter there’s going to be a check and then an angiogram that should define if the aneurysm finally is completely cured/closed/not dangerous any more and then, if so, that’s it and I can go on with my life and not worry about it anymore. We’ll check of course which medicines I’ll have to take and for how long and basta/finito/no worries and big smiles!
I hope this helps and sorry to have made you worry for nothing!
With all my best wishes :green_heart:
Iris

1 Like