Expert Witness

Does anyone know of an expert witness, preferable in the NYC area? I feel that I am alive because of my incredible medical team. They were brilliant.

Now that I have the strength, I have to fight the insurance companies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dancer

Dancer,

There are many different types of expertise, is there some type that you specifically need?

Not sure what is meant by fighting with your insurance company...Are they not paying, etc,?

More information needed...~ Colleen

I am sorry that you need to fight. I have been there it took almost 3 years before my surgery to got covered. Between my insurance horizon bcbs and my husbands empire bcbs they argued over if the surgery was emergent or not. Also who should cover what. My aneurysm ruptured and was to large to coil (they tried). Don’t pay anything. Try calling your state insurance board and look for an advocate. Best of luck to you

Dancer...welcome...I went to your member site and read your intro...

To begin...my computer techie stuff is so similar to yours...others have helped me here...and, I so rely on my local tech...Also, I am a naturalist...acupuncture, craniosacral therapy, activator (mild touch) chiropractic, vision therapy...decades long co-op member...

Your member intro notes you changed insurance...my first question...

Did you change policies and/or insurance companies?

Were there any restrictions on time for coverage? There has been a lot of news about changes in insurance company requirements and coverage by time / pre-existing conditions...I do not know any detail of that...I have one of those long-standing employer provided policies and its now the back-up to my Medicare...

Have you talked to an attorney? Before an expert?

What kind of expert are you attempting to find? One w/expertise in the terminology of your insurance policy?

Or in the various billing codes being accepted or rejected by your insurance company?

Prayers for your results...

Pat

Hello again. I was thinking-if your aneurysm ruptured and treated as emergent they have to cover, just like if you had no insurance the hospital can’t turn you away. Some lawyers won’ t even charge you for a consultation , just a percentage of your settlement. I agree with the others find out your legal standing.

Thanks so much for your reply. I was not sure that I was responding properly. I will get used to the technology for site so I can participate more.

My aneurysm was the result of a car accident. I had damage to my back and my head trauma. The auto insurance companies are trying to get out of paying for damages. I am taking the auto insurance companies to court. The case will come down to the Auto Insurance Company experts, who are stating that they can't tell what the cause of the aneurysm was. And an expert witness for my side rebutting their findings.

Due to this accident and 18 month recovery, my savings were wiped out. I hope that explains the situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dancer

Thanks so much for your reply. I was not sure that I was responding properly. I will get used to the technology for site so I can participate more.

My aneurysm was the result of a car accident. I had damage to my back and my head trauma. The auto insurance companies are trying to get out of paying for damages. I am taking the auto insurance companies to court. The case will come down to the Auto Insurance Company experts, who are stating that they can't tell what the cause of the aneurysm was. And an expert witness for my side rebutting their findings.

Due to this accident and 18 month recovery, my savings were wiped out. I hope that explains the situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dancer

Dancer

Dancer

I'm fighting insurance too. $60,000 worth

Dancer,

Can you put into date order when the aneurysm was diagnosed and MVA occurred?

Did your aneurysm rupture immediately after the MVA like during testing/diagnosis of your injuries immediately following the MVA? Or some time after?

Did the MVA cause a rupture instantly?

Ironically, I have talked a lot w/my auto insurance on this issue....not for a lawsuit...Eventually (I am soooo slow) I will be sending them my data /story... because...

I was in two MVAs four months apart...the headaches began...likely development of the aneurysm following those two...The first, at a stop light, rear-ended, thrown into the one in front of me... Four months later, I was hit broad-side on my driver's side...My aneurysm is on my left internal carotid artery (L ICA) ...at the origin of the posterior communicating artery (PCoA)...(supraclinoid segment)...

My docs did no testing on me when the headaches were of record post-MVAs...did prescribe Xanax and then referred me to a psychiatrist...Likely as a menopausal must be depressed female patient... this was all at the facility/clinic of years of my records...which were minimal...to no profit...

My aneurysm, even five years later, was small...the neck space apx 1/8th of an inch on the wall of the artery... I believe that the weak spot is congenital; aneurysms are known to be near the bifurcation of an artery or where the others branch off...This type of data is available...

One place you may want to view for finding an expert is PubMed...at that site, search for brain aneurysm (other terminology of choice) and, pursue the names of the doctors on the various studies/research...Pick the ones w/the highest numbers of studies/opinions/results...then, which organizational involvement similar/same as those serving on the Medical Advisory Board here at our BAF site...then, would suggest your lawyer make the formal connection/request...

I have a vague memory of one of the med authored books in on aneurysms referencing the potential of injury...I am slow to find anything...

Please remember, I have no expertise...medically or legally...tho I do have my personal opinions... based on my personal experiences...

Prayers for your success...and, getting more input here...because I am aware of a number of others who had MVAs related in timeframes to their aneurysm treatments...

Pat

Dancer,

There was some discussion at another site (research document) that suggested a relationship between head injury and formation of aneurysms. I'll have to look around to find it again. Also I can suggest a potential Doctor you could contact who does testify in court actions. I can provide it if you send me a email at this site or I guess you may have to friend me to send a email. I'd rather not publicly announce his name because I don't have permission to so. But it just might be a lead and I know you will have to make an appointment either by yourself or through an Attorney.

Lily, what is being challenged / denied?

Do you have help with it?

Pat

They are saying no pre certification but procedures were one after the other. They are reviewing it.