Ear congestion/clogged

Has anyone experienced a clogged ear feeling after coil and stent procedure. I am 3 weeks post surgery and my right ear is feeling very clogged and uncomfortable. I’m not sure if it is related or just something else. I’m
not even sure if it is a good idea to take antihistamines or decongestants with a repaired aneurysm while being on Plavix and aspirin. I can contact my doctor but I was curious if anyone has experienced this post surgery. I’ve tried drops, hydrogen peroxide, irrigation and nothing is helping.

1 Like

@joycelee
I recommend that you reach out to your physician and ask if the medications you are wondering about is safe to take while on Plavix and Aspirin. A pharmacist should also know. To my knowledge, there are many medications that interfere with Plavix and should be avoided.

3 Likes

I have really bad allergies, really bad. When my Allergist tested me the first time, I was allergic to everything except animals strangely enough. I wasn’t allowed to do both house and yard work so we had to pick one or the other. I got the yard work lol. After I ruptured I found some different things were going on and she tested me again. I had decreased what I was allergic to enough to try the shots again. I used local honey as my Allergist suggested. I also use a heating pad set on warm for that clogged ear feeling, as my Allergist suggested, it seems to help.

Please follow @oct20 advice and do call your doctor. You may end up being told to follow through with your PCP. If I remember correctly there was one I couldn’t take for a few weeks. I can’t recall which but I do have a prescription and a couple OTC’s. Fortunately it was winter when my reactions are at their lowest.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have been trying the heating pad and steam until I can find out what OTC meds I can take. I’m
on Singulair but that isn’t helping.
I plan to cal the PCP today.

1 Like

I don’t AT ALL know if it’s related, but what brought me in to have my MRI *which is how my aneurysm was discovered) was a clogged ear. My flow diverter procedure was in my left anterior inferior cerebellar artery, which is somewhat near the trigeminal nerve. And I had a feeling like I had water stuck in my ear.
The radiologist thought the ringing and clogged feeling were definitely due to the aneurysm, which was rather large (17 mm), but the neurosurgeon said the didn’t think so. Too distant.
The thing is, after the procedure, I still feel like I have water stuck in my ear. Also, my left ear is still prone to clog up with wax. I can tell it is producing more wax than the other ear.
I am kind of thinking that what I really have is “Covid Ear.” See: What Are COVID-19's Long-Term Effects on the Ears, Nose, and Throat? - Dr. Rande Lazar. I don’t think in my case it had anything to do with Plavix or Brillinta because mine ear stuff started 6 months before my surgery.

3 Likes

Thanks. My neurosurgeon doesn’t think it has anything to do with my aneurysm either. I will go to my ENT and see what he can do. Sure is annoying.

3 Likes

Hi Joycelee! I’m finishing up my last year of nursing school and as you hopefully know, you are at an increased bleeding risk while taking aspirin and plavix. As our others friends have recommended, definitely talk to your family physician, ENT doc or neurologist. Due to the increased risk of bleeding, it may be a good idea not to insert anything into the ear canal incase you do incidentally cause a bleed of some sort.

Just a thought! God bless,

Jessica

3 Likes

Thanks for thinking of this. Trying to get an ENT appointment here is crazy. I am currently on a cancellation list.

1 Like

I had that clogged ear feeling in my left ear after my surgery. I also have a vp shunt on that side. My sisters could always tell if I was laying down or standing when I spoke on the phone as that clogged feeling seemed to be positional and I sounded congested. I used to be able to clear it by putting my head between my knees. After a few years this feeling stopped. I never took any OTC meds. I learned to live with it.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this information!

Feeling like my ear was clogged and vestibular issues is how my aneurysm was detected and then stented. Luckily mine was only 6mm on my left internal carotid artery. My neurosurgeon still doesn’t believe the two are connected but I feel like they are. I have seen both ENT’s and Allergists all who say that there is nothing wrong with my ears. I still suffer from bouts of ear fullness and vestibular symptoms. My aunt had a ruptured aneurysm 5 years ago and still suffers from vestibular issues as well. I think more research needs to be done about the connection between aneurysm and ear/vestibular symptoms.

3 Likes

I think it is almost comical the number of people with similar symptoms and neurosurgeons that always say our symptoms are likely unrelated to our aneurysms. I do think more research needs to be done. I also had dizziness and unusual headaches prior to finding the aneurysm. After the surgery the headaches and dizziness had just about disappeared. I was told most likely the symptoms were unrelated to the aneurysm. Now my ear being blocked right after the stents and coils procedure they say the same thing.

2 Likes

I found this site that may help https://vestibular.org/ though I couldn’t find anything with aneurysms in the search feature.

2 Likes