Due to have a pipeline embolization on oct 6th

Hi, I am due to have a flow diverting stent as treatment to prevent and make safe my aneurysm which is a cavernous segment right ica aneurysm about 2cm in size. I am wondering if anyone has had this procedure and could give me an insight into what I’m about to go through? I am terrified and have no one to talk to (I am a single mum my son is only 7) and I was diagnosed the day before my mum died and the last six months have been a whirlwind of scans and angiograms but mostly fear. Any advice would be great

Hi my name is Jeanne and I had a pipeline embolization in 2012. I was diagnosed with the aneurysm in 2007. It was small then and grew over the years. I had constant migraine headaches and then double vision. After several cat scans and angiograms my doctor decided it was time to do surgery. Surgery went well then I had to stay a few days in intensive care unit. Once i could walk the corridor back and forth a couple of times the doctor released me to go home. I want to wish you the best of luck and I will pray for your speedy recovery.

Hi tracy, I’ve had this procedure last year. It went very well and it’s been a year later and I’m perfectly ok own. It’s a lot more scarier then it actually is. After the procedure I had to be on blood thinners and asprin for 6 months after and had to have another angiography as a check up. I haven’t had any side effects since and have recovered well after it. If you need any advice or have any questions, I’ll be happy to help.

Hi Tracy

I had the same procedure just over two weeks ago in Perth, Western Australia. Whilst not a single mum, I share the joys of a seven-year-old child - although I have a daughter. The whole process for me has been very quick - only weeks between seeing my GP with double vision/headaches to having the flow diverting stent procedure. My aneurysm was sort of between the left ICA and the left Posterior Communicating Artery and was treated so quickly because the doctors believed it was growing. I was also scared before the procedure - which I think is completely normal. That said, I was far more petrified walking around with an untreated aneurysm - very frightened that it would rupture in the presence of my daughter.

The outcome? I was home 24 hours after the procedure. I would not have been able to totally care for my child for three or four days after that, which I suspect was more about the anaesthetic than the stent.

What else would I liked to have known? The vision and headaches take a while to disappear - even though the aneurysm has a stent, it still takes time to shrink. The blood thinners mean that the bruise on your leg (assuming they go through your femoral artery) is BIG!

My main struggle has been emotional - because it all happened so quickly, I am still dealing with the fact that I feel as though I have survived a life-threatening experience and I’m still trying to work out what that means for me.

My best part for me is the enormous relief I feel that the aneurysm has been treated - and with a minimally-invasive procedure that research shows is safe and has excellent outcomes.

Feel free to ask any questions! All the best, Melissa

Hi Tracy. I had a Pipeline stent placed just this past April. It went very well. I was in ICU for one night, in a regular room the next, and back home on the third day. I had some bad headaches the first couple days, but they subsided quickly and now I rarely have any. I am on the Plavix and baby aspirin for at least six months, but I go in for my 6-month follow-up angiogram in about a month, so I'm hoping I can go off of the meds by then.

It is frightening to face something like this alone, but there are quite a few of us on this forum who have PEDs and we can help you through. It seems scarier than it really is. And the recovery is so much quicker than having a craniotomy. It's amazing, really!

Hi Tracy. I am waiting for the same procedure...had my angiogram, folliw up with neurosurgeon is booked for 2nd November. From the research I have done it seems all will be ok -I hope so as neither craniotomy nor coiling are options for me because of location....my boys are 9 and 11 and I get how scary this is because you fear for them. Best of luck with it all

Hi Tracy, I, too had double vision in the summer of 2011. My Aneurysm was found by accident. In Jan. 2012, I was the first one in my area to receive the Pipeline Embolization Device. Like you I was full of fear. I had a fantastic team working with me. In June of 2012, I went in for my six month check up. It was at this time that I found out that it hadn't worked the way it should have( but then I have never been normal)! On June 8,2012, I went back in to the hospital. My Neurosurgeon implanted a second device inside of the first one and it worked perfectly! Ten days later it was gone!

What really amazed me was the fact that the only pain that I had was in my groin and that went away within a few days. Has your surgeon explained to you how he does this surgery?

You will most likely be put on Plavix, a blood thinner, before your implant. During this time you MAY have such things as a bloody nose, if you can not stop the bleeding, go directly to your nearest ER. Be sure to tell them that you are on a blood thinner. You will also bruise! You will be put on aspirin. I am taking 325mg aspirin for the rest of my life! When you are done with all of this you will most likely will go in for a six month and then a one year check up.

I send you my sympathies on your Mothers death.

I do hope that this will be of some help to you. My best advice is stay busy, enjoy your son, go for long peaceful walks with him, stay positive. Most of all have faith in yourself and your surgeon. If you want and/or need someone to talk to, contact me! I'll try to help as much as I can.

Hi Tracy-----This was one of the scariest things I have ever been through. It is all that more difficult when you don't have any one to talk to. I advise you to use this site or talk to someone you are close with. I did not do this and was a basket case by the time surgery came. I have always been the strong one that every one else leans on and was not used to having to lean on others.

My aneurysm was discovered November 2012. it was right ICA as well. I had the surgery December 28, 2012 and went home the next morning. They did not prepare me for the after effects. Those being headaches. I also had some memory issues----I could not remember names of things, but that cleared up in a couple of weeks. Also, I had just gotten a new ipad. Using that was a mistake. It was too much brain stimulation and was actually the cause of the headaches. It has been almost three years now and I have had no problems. My aneurysm was totally gone within 6 months.

Good luck to you!

Lisa

I had a pipeline surgery July of 2014 after two unsuccessful coilings. I too was rather nervous because all surgery is scary and the coilings weren’t working, so why would this? At the 6 month check up it was doing its job.
I get your angst over all the angios! Two and a half years after my rupture I’ve finally gotten to go more than 6 months without getting an angio. Take heart. It WILL get better. Just come here to talk to folks who have been there. I only wish I had found this site sooner than a few weeks ago.

Had two done … One giant, one large. Bad headaches for three months but no other issues. Should be fine if good doc

I would just like to say thank you very much for all your responses and sharing so much. When I am feeling worried or low I have a little read and they make me feel more positive. I can’t thank you all enough x

Hi Tracy,

I haven't had this procedure, although I just wanted to let you know that I was just diagnosed and I completely understand your fear, after having so many tests, the uncertainties, the fear of having the actual procedure done, etc. Even though I haven't had any procedure yet, the fear is still there in anticipation of having any procedure, if I am a candidate.

Having a son and your mom passing away the day after you were diagnosed I imagine adds to the anxiety and I'm so sorry you are going through all of this.

My positive thoughts and prayers are with you for the best possible outcome and the fastest recovery possible!

Mike