Dr. Recommendation

Nice to hear your comments. Initially, when the doctor was talking with me he said, “It’s either an aneurysm or a pituitary tumor/cyst. The worst case scenario is the pituitary lesion.” Huh? I didn’t query why he said that but later did a lot of reading, and I learned that it is a master gland and can affect many other glands. I also read that 1 in 5 people have one (found incidentally like aneurysms) and that only around 1 in 1,000 are actually operated on. Additional reading told me that a lot depends on age. Younger more likely to start treatment. Older? Well, there are some benefits of age, it seems. At 77, with no symptoms related to a tumor/cyst, I think I am a prime candidate to wait it out. If the DSA does not verify an aneurysm he will turn me over to their pituitary neurosurgeon for evaluation. “Neurosurgeon.” Scary word. Thank you for the hydration tips!

1 Like

Of all the residents at the teaching hospital my Neurosurgeon works out of, and the anesthesiologists, not to mention the radiologists, they all use different words for the same thing. It’s very confusing…but it boils down to there’s something 5-8 mm on or near my pituitary gland. My Neurosurgeon said unless it gets growing, she isn’t going to worry about it, so I don’t. There’s much more in life that I can focus my attention on rather than worrying. I ruptured when I was 53, I told her she better not retire until I’m 75. She said that at that age, I wouldn’t have to be concerned about any more surgeries or procedures. And yes that little gland is responsible for many, many things. I understand from my musing over the Internet, that there are blood tests that can check on the pituitary gland as well as different techniques other than a craniotomy that can be performed if removal is even necessary. Good luck and let us know what your Dr has decided.

1 Like

SUCH helpful information. Your comments answer a lot of questions and confirm my belief that a pituitary ‘something’ is not necessarily cause for worry. Thank you so much. I’ll know “what’s what” after the 26th. (I wanted to “like” your comments but haven’t figured out how to do so!) Thanks again.

2 Likes

Joyejoy, thank you! If you want to like someone’s post, just click on the heart, it will turn red :smile:

Well, 26th has come and gone and my angiogram got cancelled. I was in the hospital, prepped and ready to go, but I had been feeling ill the night before and was still under the weather. Dr. E said “I am a doctor first and a surgeon second and this procedure will enhance your nausea plus have its own after effects. If you were my mother I would not do it…” It was a 2-1/2 hour trip there and I didn’t want a delay, but the next day I was very glad as I felt rotten. 48-hour bug. What bad timing! Question: What are your thoughts on MRA versus cerebral angiogram? I had seen my ENT 2 days prior and he was surprised the neurosurgeon wasn’t doing a less invasive MRA. I did ask the surgeon and he said “MRI’s, CT’s, and MRA’s are basically pictures. I want a real-time view.” Earlier his NP had said they didn’t think it was an aneurysm but needed clarification. If they could see blood flowing through it that said “aneurysm.” Thanks again.

1 Like

I’m so glad you’ve got a great surgeon! The angiogram is the gold standard to see what’s happening. They usually start with the CTA or MRA and then do the angiogram as it allows them to really see what’s going on. Here’s a little description https://med.nyu.edu/radiology/about-us/subspecialties/neuro-interventional/our-services/patient-information-brain-angiogram

1 Like

Thank you. Makes sense. It’s been 3 months since the MRI and I have felt quite comfortable about the procedure, until — my ENT sounded pretty adamant: “What! Why?” I had a strong thought, “is Someone trying to warn me to think a little more about this?” Then as I was feeling ill the night before the procedure, I thought: “Really?! Sick at just the wrong time? IS Someone trying to tell me something?” I had not spoken with the neurosurgeon (only his NP) until right before the cancelled procedure. I liked him a lot and I liked his response: “I love what I do, I love surgery … but, I’m a doctor first.” He had 5 angiograms scheduled that day and schedules them every Thursday unless it’s an emergency. That experience gives me even more confidence. Your article is helpful. Its good to have moderators to walk us through the nervous moments. Thanks again.

1 Like

You’re more than welcome! Thank you so much for the kind words! I’m glad I could help.

1 Like

My Neurovascular Surgeon is Dr. Aman B. Patel, Director at MGH, Boston, MA. His NP is Amanda Scott 617-726-3303. He treated and fixed my large, wide-neck Aneurysm behind my right eye and a smaller one behind my left ear. He calmed my fears and gave me my sight back, he is the best!!!
My Neruo-Ophtalmolgist is Dr. Joseph R. Rizzo, at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA.
617-573-3412. He is the Director of that Service and helped with my vision recovery and is tops in his field.

1 Like