Don't think the worst

Easier said than done, I know. When they told me it looked like I might have a 1mm aneurysm or could just be an infundibulum, my life spiraled. I have never experienced fear like that. But the fear didn’t come from hearing this from the doctors. The fear came from going to Dr. Google and getting consumed by it. Learning about “blister” aneurysms about did me in. I was consumed by the numbers, by the locations, by the studies. Constantly looking at my 3D MRA on my computer and dwelling on it. I genuinely believed I could die if I sneezed. The start of every headache raised my blood pressure. Even to this day, I can barely even visit this website. Certain smells from that time in my life can push me down that path if I let it. I imagine others have been in my boat and stopped coming here too.

What I needed was to read good stories. So this isn’t the first time I’ve came back and posted mine. But I felt like I should do it again in case someone else needs to see it.

I’m happy to say that was almost 3 years and 4 scans ago. Nothing has changed. I won’t need another scan until 3 more years now. My headaches ended up being caused by Sucralose and my migraines were caused by a DHEA supplement.

My story won’t be the same as yours. But I just want to share some good news to those newly diagnosed. Don’t let your mind be betrayed by reading all the negative stories on this website. That’s just the nature of the beast. Those that things work out for tend to not stick around and finish their story. So you only get exposed to the worst cases and it took me a while to understand and believe that. I’d notice someone hadn’t posted in a long time and thought the worst. I thought my story was going to be terrible. As dramatic as it is, I told myself that if I made it past a year or so, I’d make sure to update the website.

So live your life any way you can. Don’t let it consume you. Know that there are many many more success stories out there than bad ones. And just be thankful we live in a time where we can get effective treatment and support.

I’m here if anyone needs me.

7 Likes

@JFAR Its so great you came back and posted an update, thanks so much! I love reading positive stories. You’re getting a happy dance for sure! It’s also nice to read your discovery and sharing the causes of your headaches. So many people on here do think the worse and I’m afraid it’s the nature of the beast. But again it’s really good to read about alternative reasons.

Thank you also for sharing that actually getting on the internet and researching aneurysms can create an abundance of fear in itself. It’s one of the reasons we caution people to stay with the latest research. Statistics change all the time, medical science changes all the time. It’s hard enough to learn statistics never mind all the parts of the brain with the Circle of Willis being a focus, and then we have to learn to decipher “medical speak”. Doctors don’t always use the same language and things get lost in the translation.

It’s fantastic to read that you’re now on a three year sabbatical from imaging. Good for you! I truly hope your aneurysm never grows. Thank you also for the great reminder on living life. Sometimes we forget that life is defined by ourselves and our ability to enjoy it. I hope you see the awe in nature everyday, the beauty of love that surrounds as all, even a butterfly or a deer with a set of twins…Life is good and I hope you are fulfilled each and every day.

Thanks again for posting your success!
Moltroub

2 Likes

Awesome testimony!
Thanks. I totally agree. My personal story is similar to yours. The only difference is that I now have a son who was diagnosed and treated for an unstable aneurysm. My family was very well informed and able to make quick decisions because I was well informed. That all started with this organization. Thank you for the great advice.
Sincerely
Lyd

3 Likes

Don’t go crazy self diagnosing, it can drive you nuts. Listen to your doctors, do your research. Sometimes it’s not as bad as we, as patients, interpret it.

2 Likes