Does alcohol effect aneurysms?

i saw a post earlier about smoking and its affect on annies any advice on alcohol? I don’t drink had stuff but I do like to have beers. Having my clipping tomorrow and want to make sure I make the right decisions when it is all done and in recovery.

Hi Troy, alcohol is not supposed to cause aneurysms but can increase risk of rupture(from what I’ve read). Regardless- you generally can’t drink anything within 48 hours of surgery- very dangerous with general anesthesia! Best of luck with your surgery. I had mine on the 28th and I’m getting better each day:)

Sorry one other thing- I haven’t yet asked about after but definitely you don’t want to be drinking on narcotics or Tylenol. Very hard on your liver.

Troy,

At first I though man Troy, you want a beer in recovery???
Alcohol effects everything, it is a depressant. It messes with the way your brain sends signals. But talk to your doctor - mine gave me blessings for a glass or two of wine with dinner once or twice a week. This was after my rupture and follow up coiling. I had been drinking red wine for my tachycardia per cardiologist with dinner when I was not working nights. As with anything in life, I thinks it’s all about moderation. Talk to your doctor!

I found this http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Hangovers/beyondHangovers.htm. It doesn’t answer your question directly but it talks about drinking in general and its effects on the body.

Kit34 is absolutely correct - don’t drink alcohol while taking acetaminophen. Liver will not tolerate it.

I almost laughed well I did about beer in recovery. Heck no! Just enjoy social drinking and love my Sunday’s watch football with a brew and some wings. I had just read about smoking which I quit 4 years ago and did not want to slow down my recovery. Thanks for sharing.

Moltroub said:

Troy,

At first I though man Troy, you want a beer in recovery???

Alcohol effects everything, it is a depressant. It messes with the way your brain sends signals. But talk to your doctor - mine gave me blessings for a glass or two of wine with dinner once or twice a week. This was after my rupture and follow up coiling. I had been drinking red wine for my tachycardia per cardiologist with dinner when I was not working nights. As with anything in life, I thinks it’s all about moderation. Talk to your doctor!

I found this http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Hangovers/beyondHangovers.htm. It doesn’t answer your question directly but it talks about drinking in general and its effects on the body.

I’m glad you laughed, I was laughing. I’m still laughing! I could almost envision it and thought what would Dr. Wolfe do if I had a bottle with me??? Good luck with the clipping tomorrow. Let us know how you pull through.

Thanks 9:30 am tomorrow and it this time tomorrow all should be on the down side. Appreciate the kinds words.

Barb said:

Troy, wishing you all the best for tomorrow!!! You have a lot of friends here that will definitely be with you in spirit as you have your procedure tomorrow and we will also be anxious to hear from you when it is over, but only when you are up to it. Oh, and Cheers to your first post beer!!

Warm Regards,

Barb

Thanks again for the good laugh! Tomorrow at this time all show be on the recovery side ! Operation scheduled for 9:30 am est.

Moltroub said:

I’m glad you laughed, I was laughing. I’m still laughing! I could almost envision it and thought what would Dr. Wolfe do if I had a bottle with me??? Good luck with the clipping tomorrow. Let us know how you pull through.

I’ll be thinking of you Troy! Just don’t forget the doctors bottle, even if it’s a picture:)

I had a rupture aneurysm which was coiled in June 2014 followed by further coiling and stent in Oct 2015 to deal with the wide neck on my aneurysm. The literature they gave me on discharge in June 2014 said that it was best to wait about 2 - 3 months after coiling / clipping before drinking alcohol again and limiting intake to 1 or 2 drinks per week. I drink about 4 - 5 pints of beer or cider per week on the weekend but I avoid going over that limit as that would probably start to raise my blood pressure. Before my rupture I used to binge drink sometimes which I think was definitely a contributing factor to my aneurysm rupture, probably more so than smoking to my mind as binge drinking sends your blood pressure through the roof!

I think alcohol is ok as long as you are sensible about it and do it in moderation - 4 or 5 drinks in a weekend maybe?

Ok, I’ve got to ask…how is one or two drinks a week, the same as 4-5 pints in a weekend? TTiger, no offense, I have problems with math now, at one time I was very good; now, not so much. Is it like me telling the waiter not to let the glass run dry so I can count it as one?

They are not the same, I know I drink slightly more than the advice but it is not enough to get me anywhere close to being drunk which I think would be the most dangerous thing to do with an aneurysm. Anyway, you have to have some sort of life and I had to give up my smokes :(