Conflicting Information

I was originally told I had a 1mm infundibulum (MRI/MRA with contrast). They then did a CT of carotids which said it was a 2mm PCOM aneurysm. I met with neurosurgeon a few days back when he said it was either a large infundibulum or small aneurysm. He wasn’t able to answer my questions as he said I need digital subtraction angiography before they can answer with certainty. I accept that. What I cannot understand is - if the type of lesion is in question, how can one be large and the other small? Surely they’d be the same size?
He left the report on the screen and I read it. It said - large infundibulum with small aneurysm but when I queried this, he said, ‘it’s either one or other not both’ …
If I get the DSA done and it’s an aneurysm, I’ve to get a shunt. I saw the following - ‘‘FDA Cautions on Stents for Unruptured Brain Aneurysms’’.
If it’s an aneurysm (and they’re sure it’s small), why the need for a stent and not coil? I know I’m jumping ahead but I need to make sure the dsa will be worthwhile before I agree. I think, like the written report said, that I have a large infundibulum which is turning into an aneurysm.

The choices are usually based on the surgeon’s knowledge and ability. It seems that you would be on the watch and wait to see if it grows. The differences in sizes is not unusual. It’s sorta like two people seeing the same accident and though stories are similar, they’re never exactly the same. My MRAs are always read differently than what the angiogram sees. It’s frustrating and I’d sure like to see a radiologist so they could explain how they measure. It’s a good question to ask my neurosurgeon next time I see her, thanks! I had never heard of a DSA and had to look it up. Maybe get a second opinion? I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of anyone having any procedure for something as small as yours, I can’t recall any. What I have always heard and read is that an angiogram is the best way to see what’s going on. Personally, I don’t believe I would take the risk. I’d have them watch it.

I thought they were the same test but see they are not.
I’ll have to read up on it, thanks

1 Like

Hi Moltroub,

My 22 year old daughter freaked out when I told her and she doesn’t want me to get the digital subtraction angiography. I hate drs keeping info from me. I was at the BP clinic 2 days ago and was told - your heart doesnt relax so isn’t getting enough nutrients. The checks (heart ultrasound etc) were done 6 months ago and at the time she said it was all ok!! Then she’s forcing me, at the appointment 2 days ago, to get on medication and says ‘well, we found your heart doesn’t relax…’
Just plain nasty. It’s my body, I need to know so I can make an informed decision. So just hope it’s just a 2mm one. But thinking there might be something else that they aren’t telling me, for them to talk about a stent.

Is it possible that with the stress of your daughter’s reaction and the not knowing what’s going on in the artery that your heart is reacting to all of it? In the States, there’s a Federal law from back in the ‘70’s that says a person has the right to refuse any and all medication. Doctors don’t like it when a patient decides to take meds their way before talking to the doctor. Maybe make an appointment with your doctor and see why she wants you on the medication. Find out if it’s a forever drug or if you will be on it for a short time. Weigh the side effects and decide with your doctor if it’s a good fit. After I restopped my heart medication, everything in my body became happier. Also make sure you get exactly what the issue is with your heart and maybe ask for a second test.