Can you rule out an Aneurysm 100%?

Hi, uh.. my grade school friend had an aneurysm, not much to be said about that, he was there one day and gone the next, the class was told it was an aneurysm.

Ever since then I knew what aneurysms were though, and I've been deathly afraid. I have anxiety and I'm a severe hypochondriac, so I'm always going to the hospital for something, but aneurysms are the worst fear I have. I'm entirely convinced I have one. I'm not sure if they run in my family, two strokes do, my maternal grandmothers mother around 80, bleeding in the brain but they don't know if it was an aneurysm, and my maternal uncle who had aids and did drugs, had a stroke, didn't die, but they never said what type.

I've had 16 cat scans in the past 3 years from fear (going to the hospital every few days) And a CTA the other day. I have a Neurology appointment, but it's not till Tuesday. I get bad headaches, light sensitivity, dizziness and faintness at times, really bad neck pain in neck and traps with tension (probably posture), electrical shock sensations in my neck into my head when I move my head or eyes, like something just zapped me in the brain. Pops in the head (I hear them), and sensitive hearing (hypersensitive hearing) that makes me want to run from the sounds. Warm fluid feeling and sensations in my head all the time.

All scans have been negative, but I've read survival stories and such that say scans can be wrong all the time. The hospitals are sick of seeing me and say I don't have one, but with all my head problems I just don't know whether to trust them.

They said the CTA should have ruled any small unruptured or anything out completely, but reading here, even that can be wrong.

Can anyone help me from this fear? I know I don't have a story of an aneurysm, except my friend, but I can hardly sleep anymore or stay home without going to the hospital with all this fear of having one, thinking it'll rupture, I'll die in seconds with a huge headache, or it'll be a silent no symptom one and I'll die, etc.

I am glad you are going to a neurologist but truthfully two bits of advice I can offer...when you let "fear and anxiety" live your life...you aren't living...so almost no difference whether you have an aneurysm or not...you have already let fear take over your life...I feel one of the things you can definitely benefit from is going to Therapy for your particular illness...and it is an illness when you are a hypochondriac and have fear and anxiety...Life is too short...go get help ... so you can start living your life...I don't want to sound harsh, but many of us have those symptoms and more and yet we live life...because we know how close to death we have been...my thoughts and prayers go out to you ~ Colleen

Hi,

I agree with Colleen %100...Getting treatment for your particular issue is paramount to you living a normal, fulfilling life, one without fear and anxiety (which is running the show right now.) Peace to you as you get thru this, Janet

Great advice Colleen, Nirex speaking as someone has been plagued with fear and anxiety on and off from early teens and now am 62, listen to what Colleen is saying or it will destroy your life and put so many limitation on you, you must get some help so you can get out there and live life or you will miss out on so much. best wishes John and Sue

I understand I need to bring the anxiety under control, that's why I seek reassurance. Not sure if you know but can it be ruled out 100%? Does it sound like an aneurysm? I mean can I trust the ER doctors that there isn't anything? Or will it be a false negative like I've read about so many times? I looked at the CTA scan after getting a copy, those pictures are no clearer than a regular CT scan and the veins/arteries barely visible. I also saw several artifacts and bulges that look like photos of aneurysms on ct scans... Can the doctors be wrong?

Nirex, I think you should read all of those that wrote above me...especially Liam's post...

I wanted to add...many of us misdiagnosed, me included, but that was once ... the 2nd time I was in ER, my 2 brain aneurysm's were found...you have had 16 CT scan's...you need to really seek help ... and then pursue your diagnosis with a neurologist...~ Colleen

Nirex, fear and worry will ruin your life, it's spoiling every moment and it seems like it is totally unfounded from the results of your tests. Listen to the others, take all your energy and put it towards therapy to change your way of thinking so you can enjoy life. We're here for such a short time, live it well, loose the fear!! I wish you well.

I know you guys aren't doctors, or radioologists, but since you guys have had aneurysms and know what they look like on your own scans, can you please tell me if this is or not? The fact it's giant and just there, is kind of freaking me out... http://i.imgur.com/j0eGJJr.jpg

Nirex...you had so much initial input...I did not add at that time...

Your images you attached note MRI...not CT... MRI's are the magnetic...not radiologic...

RE: MRIs... (a doc may also use angios w/MR...an MRA...

RE: MRI/As: a term commonly used is hyperintensities ...I expect if that is what your circled area is, your docs would have explained... For your comfort....you may want to ask your doc ..

A friend and I recently shared...the CDC.gov annual number of deaths...highest is heart disease; next is cancers; to chronic lower respiratory diseases; to stroke...where those of us w/ruptures are likely numbered...there's another half dozen diseases at lower levels...

Best wishes for your comfort...and, that you will ask your docs..

Pat

Nirex,

Why is it that you're trying so hard to HAVE an aneurysm?? Each one of here on this Site can tell you very plainly that not one of us ever made it a point to acquire our aneurysms, this is not something anyone would want to have in their skulls--ever--and considering the fact that you've had ..how many scans to date?? and an aneurysm has been ruled out on every single scan? Not one of us here are qualified to give you medical advice....a doctor or Radiologist can give you his advice and tell you more then any of us here ever could when looking at a CT scan....I clearly understand that you have issues related to hypochondria , but really, thank your lucky star's that you've been given a clean bill of health related to this very serious medical issue. No one wants to have an aneurysm, believe me, and i'm sure %100 of the people here who do have or have had aneurysms will tell you the same. Take these scans to a qualified Radiologist (again). Why you find it so hard to believe a tried and true professional is another issue altogether. --although I'm sure you seek answers, the problem lies elsewhere, like in the office of a well qualified Phsyciatrist.

Janet

Hi Nirex. You seem to want an aneurysm. Most of the people on this site are survivors or relatives of survivors. Do you think we want an aneurysm? Speaking for myself. It is the most horrendous trauma I’ll ever experienced. This journey I am on. I won’t wish it on any one. I had a ruptured aneurysm 2 years ago. And still suffering from the residues. I have balance issues and have nerve damage in my arms from my shoulder blades to the tips of my fingers. I lived with chronic pain. Do you want this illness? You have done how many CT scans- 16. And the hospital have given you a clean bill of health - no sign of an aneurysm. But it seems you want one. You have posted relatives that had a stroke. Distant relatives . Nirex you need help. You have to see a therapist, to help with your fear and anxiety of having an aneurysm, They would be able to help you.Nothing anybody post on this forum is going to solve your problems, or symptoms of an aneurysm you want. Seek help. My prayers and thoughts are with you Nirex

Nirex, having a classmate pass awAy with little explanation can be terrifying as a child. You've received some really good advice from the others. I am a mental health professional who just happened to have a ruptured brain aneurysm. I've got to be honest....in reading your post, an aneurysm wasn't what immediately came to mind. Anxiety can cause some mighty powerful symptoms and these symptoms can mimic that which we fear the most. I strongly encourage you to seek counseling to address your level of anxiety. For whatever reason, it is more acceptable for many to have a physical illness versus an emotional one so our bodies tend to adapt what is more acceptable. Believe me when I tell you that looking for physical reasons that aren't there is only going to increase your anxiety (and most likely depression). You seem to already have some insight in that you recognise the death of your classmate as a contributing factor. Good insight most often forecasts a good outcome in therapy. You didn't mention your age but you deserve to enjoy your life not worry about things that most likely will never happen. I wish you the best of luck!!!