Anyone take supplements for things like anti-inflammatory or vascular health?

Just wondered if anyone had tried supplements to try to help their annies either heal - which I’m told is impossible, or at least avoid growth/slow any growth?

Caveat: The below is just conjecture & ‘mind ramblings’, I’m not qualified in ANY way with this stuff, it’s more for my own knowledge and I’m now wondering if anyone has tried any of this.

I’ve read about how Lysyl Oxidase (LOX) helps Collagen & Elastin crosslink to improve strength of the Extra Cellular Matrix (ECM) of arteries etc, and how copper and vitamin C are vital for LOX.

I’ve also read that reduced collagen production is seen in aneurysm walls and is thought to maybe be linked to rupture risk

I’ve also read that MMPs & macrophages are thought to contribute towards aneurysm wall degradation (degrading the aneurysm wall & collagen/elastin) & potentially worsen rupture chance…

So, has anyone here tried taking things like Vitamin C, copper, and Collagen supplements, to try to increase collagen production, interlacing of collagen & elastin, and also fight inflammatory agents like MMPs and macrophages?

I’m currently taking a few supplements whilst waiting for a referral - I’ve managed to drop my blood pressure (mainly through diet changes, trying to be less work-stressy, and breathing exercises 2 or 3 times every day), though it’s still higher than I’d like - from the previous 135 to 140 / 90, down to 116 to 125 / 75 to 82 depending on time/activity.

I thought about coQ10, which can be great for dropping blood pressure, BUT it’s a vasodilator, and I’m concerned what effect dilation would have on arteries :S So until I speak to a neuro, I’m holding off on that one.

Anyone else have thoughts or experiences to share?

I haven’t taken these for the aneurysm, but I take vitamins and minerals for a malabsorption in the small intestine. Every action has a reaction somewhere else. The brain is particularly vulnerable to damage from metals such as copper and iron, and, while these are necessary, they should be supplemented only when deficient, as measured by blood test. Copper might be helpful to the arteries in elasticity, I don’t know, but it is definitely harmful to the brain in excess. Also, I learned from a broken bone that anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or naproxen are best avoided in the setting of injury, because they interfere with healing. Don’t know if that would apply to natural anti inflammatory agents as well. Inflammation is one of the body’s mechanisms to heal an injury, said my orthopedist. Calcium in excess of what is needed goes straight to the arterial wall as in atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), so blood tests are needed for anything but small doses. I applaud you for thinking this scientifically about elasticity of the blood vessels. You might want to consult with a nutritionist (not a dietician), who can guide you. I am also not a medically trained expert, but having an intestinal issue means I am under the care of a nutritionist. High blood pressure is certainly important, but you don’t want to lift anything heavy or strain with constipation, because those stress the arteries too.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Good idea re: blood tests - I think I’ll get some done by Mdichecks, to make sure I’m not overdoing any supplements! I’ve read a few studies that say copper is essential (along with Vit C) for interlacing Collagen & Elastin, which is needed for good extra cellular matrix formation - but very good point re: not taking too much! I’ll get some tests to be sure :wink:

Also, good idea about a nutritionist. I think I’ll try to find one that’s really well qualified, as have heard mixed results depending on how good they are… I think there’s quite a difference in skill levels of different ones?

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

You definitely run the risk of finding someone who will not go beyond cholesterol, red meat and salt. Maybe look into this organization, The International & American Associations of Clinical Nutritionists and see if any of these leading, more holistic nutritionists on their board is in your area. If not, one of them might be able to refer you to a skilled local person. https://www.iaacn.org/board-of-directors/. Vitamin B12 is the other one recommended for me.

Mike, I was taking Vit C before I ruptured along with a multi vitamin. The neurologist limited me on any anti inflammatory type of anything to twice a week. Now when my arthritis acts up, I use a peppermint oil with carrier.

1 Like

Hi Moltroub, sorry to hear about your rupture. Were you on watch & wait, or was it an unknown aneurysm at the time of rupture?

How much vit c were you having?

Did they say why you couldn’t take too many anti inflammatories at all? Wondering if I’m doing the wrong thing now!

Thanks - Really appreciate any info :slight_smile:

Mike.
Ps. Sorry for all the questions!

This article may help explain how complicated the use of anti inflammatory drugs with aneurysms can be. https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/ben/cds/2012/00000007/00000003/art00003?crawler=true

No watch and wait for me, just a surprise and my first helicopter ride. It was a Fisher Level 3 bleed. Inflammation is the way a body tries to heal itself. Acetominophen is very bad for ones liver and I had taken too much of it in my late teens and twenties, my liver didn’t like it, won’t touch the stuff now. As for all the NSAIDs (and the Tylenol) the Neurologist said they give secondary headaches so limited me on them. The article Kate provided is very good.

I took Vitamin C because I smoked and the Nutritionist advised it, about 500 mg, during the cold and flu season I upped it to 1000 because of my job.

I would caution taking anything that your body can’t purge when it has enough. Even prolonged use of benedryl can cause dementia. I doubted my new neurologist, asked my allergist (hadn’t heard that) and pharmacist (who said all the pharmaceuticals that have been in use for along are being found to cause issues) so I goggled it and there are numerous papers and several studies.

My advice is to speak with your doctor, your pharmacist and a nutritionist/dietician. Don’t self medicate. Do research whatever it is you think you need by looking at long term effects on viable websites. Stay away from the ads where a company or person is pushing product x and just looking for money.