Aneurysm and Stenosis

Hi,

My father (Age:60) has been recently diagnosed for the following:

Wide necked sacular aneurism on the left supraclinoid ICA (P-common origin)
Significant (80%) focal stenosis of the mid basilar artery.
The right PCA has a foetal origin via a large P-common.

He has had a history of 2 strokes in 2002 and 2010 each, which have resulted in 3 infarcts in the left side of the brain. There were 2 recent small strokes where he suffered from loss of balance, numbness on the right side of the lips and right arms. He recovered from them in a couple of minutes.

Attached is a report from the MRI Angio. He is currently on anti-coagulants and blood thinners, diabetes and blood pressure medicines.

Other details:

1. Diabetic (since 10 yrs)
  2. Hyper-tension (since 10 yrs)
  3. Chain Smoker till date (20 a day)

I would like to know:

1. Between the stenosis of the mid basilar artery and the aneurism which one should be treated first.
  2. Would a clipping or a coiling be advisable in this scenario - for the aneurism.

Thanks,

Ravi Ganatra.

366-SatishGanatra1.doc (80 KB)

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your response. We were a little confused since we got different opinions from several doctors. We will keep looking and try and get the best treatment possible.

Hi Ravi...I think only your surgeon can answer these questions best...what has been advised for your dad ?

~ Colleen

Hi Colleen,

My Dad's sugreon has advised a stented coiling of the aneurism. However, I got a second opinion from another doctor that the aneurism is in such a part of the brain that it will not affect anything even if it ruptures. Which sounded strange to me. Also, their opinion was to stent the stenosis (blockage) first.

Ravi

I had stenosis 83% blocked and they found the aneurysm at the same time. My doctor told me the stenosis was there first concern so they already put a stent in for that. Still waiting on my surgery date for anni.

Hi Dawn,

thanks for the info. can I know the place where the stenosis was?

It was in my left carotid artery.