39 and Newly Diagnosed

Good Morning! Congrats on being in grad school! First of all breathe. If you don’t know relaxation or mindfulness breathing yet, now’s the time to start learning and practicing all the time so it becomes second nature to you.

I ruptured and it was painful to say the least. Personally I’m not into pain, even with my high tolerance, so I’d try to avoid it if at all possible. That being said, a few things I would suggest - get another opinion or three if you can, learn all you can about the brain, ignore most of the statistics unless the entity quoting them can back them up, and wait until after the semester is over. Unless your surgeon is planning on installing the stent on Tuesday of course. Some members are gifted with that, my surgeon doesn’t do that usually. I would get a diagnostic angiogram and then a week later or so, get the procedure and six months later another angiogram.

Start hydrating now as it makes all the needles going in easier for you and the RNs sticking you. I imagine you already know to do it but it never hurts to be reminded.

Many of our members have no lasting side effects from their procedures for non ruptured aneurysms. Not rupturing is really on anyone’s side. I imagine besides the CT scan ER’s always do for stroke like symptoms, you’ve also had your MRI/A?

I practice what I call getting my house and House in order before any type of angiogram. I take the anesthesia and angiogram warnings seriously. I do not like it when anesthesiologists don’t tell patients all the warnings. I used to have them memorized lol. So I do all the heavy cleaning and yard work prior to any angiogram. We also had our wills updated on the one that my surgeon said to be prepared for a craniotomy but she used a balloon assist. I don’t remember why I’m not a good candidate for a craniotomy just that I’m not. My personal belief is wills should be updated as the need arises and there should always be a will. We never know when a Mack truck is going to hit us, best to be prepared. Also have easy to prepare meals and snacks for after the procedure at the ready.

You’ll need an adult to stay with you for a short period of time. I think it was 12-24 hours after I went home. One time it was 72 hours and the Resident or NP would call several times a day even through the weekend due to a nasty hematoma I received on my femoral artery. Then I went in the next week when she saw patients in the office.

You will absolutely need to stay hydrated and eat lots of protein afterwards. The USA recommends 90 gms/day, the WHO recommends 120, strive for the 120. Our brains need the energy the protein provides, it’s an energy hog. I would have to drink three of those 32 ounce gatorades and twice that in water for several months after any angiogram. Different members have different requirements so make sure to ask your surgeon.

@Johnnak is concerned as well. Please read everything on her topic found here Cerebral angiogram coming up

Hang in there and remember deep slow breaths!

3 Likes