Would appreciate some insight!

I recently discovered that I have a brain aneurysm that is 6 mm. I am 63 years old. The neurologist at my health provider informed me that the risk of rupture is about 3%. He instructed me to think about it and if it was something that was concerning to me for me to return in one months time to discuss options.
Since I was first diagnosed with this condition, my quality of life has deteriorated because I think about it constantly. Can anyone please give me some guidance. Thank you so much.


3% per what, day, week , month, year? At 63 you can have many quality years left if treated but at 64 you could have one very bad day and who knows what quality would be left!

Review the options your Doctor presents for clipping, coiling, stenting, or gluing. Each has merits and drawbacks. Continuing to dwell on it certainly isn't serving you well right now so move forward and make a informed decision. I wish you the best of luck and prayers.


Based on statistics, the rate of rupture depends on the location and size.

Usually is 1-3% per YEAR

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.
I will have that very serious discussion with the doctor at my health provider ( Kaiser Permanente)
I am trying to find the very best doctor within their system. I live in the Los Angeles area.

Hello Sue,
I certainly appreciate your opinion and prayers.
I am in the process of finding another doctor within Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles to better understand my options. If anyone has any knowledge or experience with the Kaiser system, please let me know.
Thank you so very much.
My very best to all.

hi ptr! i cannot advise you either but just wanted to say hi. You are in a tough spot but i think you're on the right track-glad youre here-this is the best place to get info! Judging from the fact that you are here i think you will do well doing a little homework, weighing options etc etc. Even the experts might not give you a concrete plan- you may have to decide but definetly go back for discussion. Take it from me tho you definately dont want a rupture but remain calm- you will be fine. keep the faith bud & we'll keep you in thoughts and prayers for wisdom and expertise for this unfortunate issue- so sorry your going thru this-think positive!

Hello Ron,
Thank you for your thoughts and support. It really moves my heart to know so many care!
My thoughts and prayers to all.

I am also insured by Kaiser in the LA area. I had a rupture about 2.5 years ago and was at the Sunset facility where my coiling was done. I was treated very well there and have almost fully recovered. However I am going back on Thursday 1/17/2013 for a MRA. My last few tests have shown some movement in the coils and now the question is what if anything should be done about it. Like you, they asked me what I wanted to do. I have chosen to do more frequent scans for now.

I have done a lot of research on my own to get a better feel for my situation. You should ask to speak with a surgeon instead of the neurologist. Some of the questions you should ask the doctor and know the answers to:

What artery is the aneurysm on?

What is the size of the neck?

What options are all of my options for treating this aneurysm should I want to go forward with a procedure?

What are the risks and benefits for each of those procedures?

If your brother had this condition, what would you advise him?

Don’t feel like you are bothering them or wasting their time, the stakes are way too high. Good luck!

Thank you so much Tony and good luck with the MRA this Thursday. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Please keep me informed.
I will seek answers to each and every question you listed above.
As to Kaiser, I am actually in Orange County but willing to go outside Orange County to hopefully find a Kaiser surgeon that is very well qualified. Should you or anyone reading this know of a very good surgeon, please let me know.
My very best, Ptr

WhenI first went to a neurologist and they found my 9mm anni he sent me to a surgeon that knows mor about aneurysms. The neurologist told me I could live my whole life with it and acted like he didn't think I should worry about it to much. My general doctor told me the same thing, but the specialist I'm seeing now is one of the top doctors here and he ttold me I needed to have the surgery.

Hello Sue,
Thank you so much for your response. The doctor I spoke to is listed as a neurological surgeon for Kaiser Permantente. When I asked for a referral for a second opinion, I was informed that he was considered very good.
Does anyone know the complications associated with the initial angiogram?
My best,

Hello Dawn,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. What you have told me is about the same I heard from the neurological surgeon and my primary care doctor. However, from the responses I have received on BAF and knowing that my brother’s aneurysm grew by more than 20% over several months ( his was clipped at Mass General), I am seriously thinking about having a procedure. I worry about the entire process and the complications. Any responses as what to expect would be most appreciated.
Dawn, please let me know what you decide to do and please keep me informed. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
My best, Ptr

Yes, Jo, I haven’t had real rest since I first was told about this aneurysm. Your hugs, along with all those other great folks’ replies, are really helping. Thank you so very much.
I hope that I will be in a position sometime where I can help others like those that have helped me with their responses.
My very best,

Thank you for you so much for your sincere advice.
As a matter of fact, it was the information that I received from one of the members on this site that led me to find the doctor and hospital where I had my aneurysm coiled last Thursday. BAF was a tremendous help.
This is a very grateful thank you to all those that helped me make the decision with their prayers, thoughts and advice.
My very best,


Knowing that you've got this thing lurking in your brain is very disconcerting to be sure ! I would think getting it dealt with one way or another, be it coils or clipping or whatever the options are, would most likely put you at ease (at least afterward)! I had a clipping for an annie in 1998, in 2006 I knew I had an annie but tried my best to ignore the symptoms until finally the annie wouldn't let me ignore it (after a collapse at work and a 6 week coma, resulting in coils), and in 2010 the coils compacted on me and I chose to have a clipping in order to hopefully end the drama. So far so good on 'drama' aspect, and I really felt better knowing that the last clipping took care of my aneurysm..I totally agree with Sue, speaking to the Neurosurgeon is by all means the best direction to go (Infact I made an appointment with my Neurosurgeon and saw him last week, I didn't want to go the route of the GP as I figure 'the buck stops' at the NeuroSurgeon, anyway) and he cut thru the red tape and scheduled me for a 2 vessel MRA . One thing I really appreciated is that the NeuroSurgeon understood some of my concerns, possible symptoms and the like, whereas I don't think I'd of had that kind of raporre with the GP had I brought my concerns to him. Anyhow, again, best of luck on your journey. Peace, Janet

Thank you for for thoughts and prayers. My best, Ptr

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm when I was 63 and had it clipped in April 2011. Two neursurgeons told me that I still had plenty of life ahead of me and that I should have a craniotomy to prevent a rupture. Had I been 83 they would have recommended doing nothing. My mother had died of a ruptured annie when she was 45. I got through the operations fine, albeit I did have a setback with a staph infection -- three brain surgeries in all -- working, living life to its fullest. Best if luck in making your decision.

Thank you so much, Arleen.
Please read my response to Sydneyseas to see the option I chose.
My caring thoughts and prayers,