16mm (1.6cm) Basilar Annie

I'm new to this community, and had posted on the blogs. I did recieve several responses, Thank you, but was told that I may have more if I post on the forum. I've read alot of the stories that are are here, and I have to say Wow, I feel even more blessed, and more worried all at the same time. And my heads still pounding! Here's my story, if anyone's been through a similar experience, please let me know what to expect, thank you!

I had been having headaches for several months in the base of my skull, my Dr. kept blowing it off saying it was neck pain. I told her it was my head, not my neck. (I'm 46 years old and feel I know the difference!) Anyway, a week ago Friday night I went to sleep about 9:00pm with a bad headache, I had even asked my husband to rub my neck, hoping it would help. Around 10:30pm, I woke up and the room was spinning like I was on a really fast merry-go-round, I could hardly move, I somehow managed to sit up on my elbows and made a sound that woke my husband. All I could say is "throw up" (sorry, thats the words that came out) He ran to the bathroom and grabbed the trash can. When he flipped on the light, he said he knew I was in trouble. He helped me sit up, and as soon as I did, I became violently ill. This lasted for a little while, he couldn't let go of me to call 911. Finally I stopped long enough for him to dial. (I couldn't sit up by myself, as soon as he would let go I would fall back). The ambulance came and took me to the local hospital. During the ambulance ride, they gave me some meds to calm my stomach. When I got to the hospital, they said I had vertigo. Then the meds wore off, and I started getting violently ill again, the room started spinning again, although not as bad. The Dr came in took one look and ordered a cat scan. Thats when she found the anuersym. It was 16mm which is considered large. They immediatly transported me to another hospital, because the local one was not set up if it were to rupture. The Dr. at the local hospital siad she had never seen anyone so violently ill! They settled me into the trauma hospital and last Monday I had a stent put in. They couldn't coil it becuase of the size, location, and the fact that there was fresh clots in it. Now, the pressure from the blood clotting and expanding the anuersym is causing worse headaches than before. These are extremly severe. I had a Cat scan, MRI & MRA. They found no leakage, or anything that would be causing such severe headaches. There is blood still flowing through the annie. Has anyone else been through this type of procedure? I can't find any info on unruptured basilar anuersyms treated with stents. How long will I have these headaches? I realize how blessed I am, if it would have burst, I most likely would not be typing this. I feel a little akward complaining when I am still able to complain, I guess I just want to know what to expect... any help would be appreciated!

No...No...you are not complaining...all of us feel sorta "life altering" with these annies...On Sept 1st...I woke in the middle of the night...same way...went to ER...told after over night stay and lots of tests...I had a migraine...2 weeks later back in ER for collapsing...now MRA/MRI ... found a 9mm Basilar Tip anerysm...sent home with no one talking to me...very poor hospital...I found a Neurologist who sent me to University to see neurosurgeon...there was a leak ... mine was coiled about 7 weeks ago ... coiling causes headaches for a few months ... a side~effect ... but they tell me coiling went well...I had other complications and was in Neuro ICU for 1 week...I have been home healing and everyday I get stronger...headaches no longer everyday...but every few days...and tire easily...I have no stent... I will have another angiogram in 6 mos to make sure blood flow is redirected and coils are working...this is what I want to ask you...do they go and do another angiogram to recheck the stent...and if they couldn't coil...why did they clip the annie??? I am not a doctor ... just curious...

You came to a supportive site...but one thing I found with this situation...you really have to be on top of your own health...

God Bless You...Cyber thoughts going out to you...Colleen

Thank you for responding so quickly! I haven't had anyone talking to me really either. They did in the hospital right after surgery, thank God my husband and sister were there because I couldn't tell you what was said, I was still high on meds! Lol, anyway, they didn't clip or coil it. They said it was in a bad spot, to the right on my basilar artery. And because of the size, 16mm, it was too large for them to really work with at this time. It's my understanding that they are going back in and then they will either clip or coil it. They are hoping it will heal on its own some first. My big concern now is, I went Tues for a MRA/MRI because of my headaches, and they said it's not leaking, but, there is fresh blood circulating in the annie. They were going to look at it in 3 months, now they've decided to do it in 1 month. It seems to me that if there's blood flowing through it, there's a chance for it to burst, which horrifies me. I am back at work, but, the headaches make it really hard to concentrate. I am in a position that requires me to lift 100pds, climb up and down ladders and go into confined spaces. I am responsible for the safety of 60 employees’. I'm not doing any of these things now, but, I haven't even been told what I can or can't do. I have an appointment tomorrow, 1/21 with the Neurosurgeon, hoping to get some answers! But, it is a little disconcerting when I am having severe left sided headaches now and they told me there was nothing that would cause them! They should be on the right side....

hi im sorry your having such a hard time getting the medical attention that is needed to treat that anny, if i were you i would find another dr…i know a intervention radiologist performed the coiling procedure on my 5mm ruptured anny back in oct 09…he is also the one who does my annual mri/mra check ups…maybe they can get someone to pay more attention to the situation other than this nuerologist is doing…good luck sweety and will keep you in my prayers

Hi Melodee~

I had a right post com artery leak/rupture almost a year ago. It was about 10mm and was coiled in two surgeries one immediately, and another following one month later. Since it was a slow leak I was fortunate to have all the symptons you mention but I didn't think it anything more than flu since I didn't know about aneursyms - I had fever, dizzy, vomit, vertigo, severe headache, etc. until I went to doc and ER for surgery was immediate.

I know you are in geting treatment so here are some other points for you to ask when you go back. Since my surgeries I still have a 2mm neck left on the coling that must be watched. I don't have a stent, mine was coiled only, but the next phase will be to go back in to add a stent if needed. I am opting to stay on a wait and watch to hopefully not have to add the stent.

You mention that at work you are lifting and responsible for 60 people. I attempted to return to work after my surgeries and after a few months I am no longer working. I have too many limitations due to concerns for a possible rupture. I have strict orders not to lift anything more than 25 pounds, lower my BP, and avoid high stress at all costs.

I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and you are able to ask more qustions.

I think you are a god sent miracle!!! and whoever did yr surgery did a great job!!

My husband had a 20mm aneurysm on the basilar artery and didn't come out OK..he had a massive stroke on the brain stem which has now left him with respiratory failure , a left side paralysis, speech and swallowing impairment. He is clinically stable after an 8 month stay in between hospitals and nursing home. He is finally home and needing 24 hr total care and wheelchair bound.

The insurance has repeatedly rejected in patient/out patient rehab and now because of that and higher premium he is without health insurance. We applied for medicaid and medicare which will take atleast 4-6 months for approval.

I have searched everywhere in the universe for any health care assistance for rehab but to no avail, You can imagine the stress, depression this is causing the entire family. I don't know what to do .o we have to sit and wait for 6 months to get help , unfortunately yes unless we win the lottery or a god samaritan comes by.

Where did u have yr surgery ? One freeking weirdo Dr pergolizi at INOVA fairfax hospital did he surgery without sitting with us and give us a clear presentation of how the annie looked or risks involved. The annie was diagnosed on April 12, 2010 but the procedure was delayed for unknown reason until after a week , yet assuring us that the annie was intact. The only thing he shared was that he had to use a stent.

Please stay in touch as an inspiration : ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ good luck wth recovery.

I think you are a god sent miracle!!! and whoever did yr surgery did a great job!!

My husband had a 20mm aneurysm on the basilar artery and didn't come out OK..he had a massive stroke on the brain stem which has now left him with respiratory failure , a left side paralysis, speech and swallowing impairment. He is clinically stable after an 8 month stay in between hospitals and nursing home. He is finally home but needing 24 hr total care and is wheelchair bound.

The insurance has repeatedly rejected in patient/out patient rehab and now because of that and higher premium he is without health insurance. We applied for medicaid and medicare which will take atleast 4-6 months for approval.

I have searched everywhere in the universe for any health care assistance for rehab but to no avail, You can imagine the stress, depression this is causing the entire family. I don't know what to do ... we have to sit and wait for 6 months to get help , unfortunately yes unless we win the lottery or a god samaritan comes by.

Where did u have yr surgery ? One freeking weirdo Dr Pergolizi at INOVA fairfax hospital did he surgery without sitting with us and give us a clear presentation of how the annie looked or risks involved. The annie was diagnosed on April 12, 2010 but the procedure was delayed for unknown reason until after a week , yet assuring us that the annie was intact. The only thing he shared was that he had to use a stent.

Please stay in touch as an inspiration : ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ good luck wth recovery.

Thank you Linda. My appointment did go well, I guess, I have to have surgery Mon. They don’t feel it’s healing as it should so they are going to coil it. I’m actually glad becuase I knew they were going to do this anyway and I just want it over with. I do better if I know what I’m dealing with!

Effe,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I can't imagine going through all of the things you have been through, although I know I may be facing them as well if my annie goes down hill. I do feel really blessed, especailly after it sunk in how bad it could have been and I don't really feel right in complaing. You, on the other hand, have a right! Red tape really sucks! And you mentioned INOVA, we're actually close! I went to UVA in Charlottesville, VA. They don't have alot to offer but thier Nuro dept is supposed to be one of the top 10 in the US. They're hard to pin down to get answers, but once you have them, they will stay and make sure you understand everything. And they seem to be really good at what they do. Dr. Jensen is the main one I've been dealing with.

I hope this helps you and I will pray for your husband and you!!

I forgot to tell you I am a survivor too in 2001 !! I had this little annie 4 mm on my left internal artery. I had it coiled by Dr,Banks at The washington hospital center in D.C . He too is one of the top , highly reknowned Internventional Radiologist in the country. He went thru the whole presentation of the risks and non risks procedure and made me understand fully what my expectations should be . But thanks to the good Lord I came out fine but I still have the headaches ...sometimes the bad baddest migraines but I know how to handle them ...relax , worry and stress free !!!!

Why my husband didn't go to him ? he was hard headed and said since he was at INOVA he will just have the surgery there...for some reason Inever trusted the doctor but anyway . whatever happends in our lives in always in God's hands.

Another well known neurosurgeon , Dr.laligam Sekhar ..this guy has micraculous hands but he is too far away in Seattle , the last time I knew about him ..Good luck in everything and just have faith that God is watching over you....xoxox