Brain Aneurysm Support Community

Who to listen to?

I underwent a successful coiling of a ruptured aneurysm in October 2017. Following the coiling, I experienced severe weakness on the left side and double vision. I did spend one week in the hospital’s rehab unit for therapy. After returning home, I continued my exercises and have regained a lot of the strength in my left side and the double vision has cleared up. I was told at the time of my discharge that it would probably take about 6 months to see how much strength I would regain.

I was encouraged to file for disability and did. In a recent medical exam for the disability determination, I was told by that doctor that what I have regained is probably all that I will regain because it has been more than 6 months. However I have read that you may not know the full extent of your recovery for up to one year.

One of the biggest issues that I have been dealing with is anxiety and depression. I have always been a very outgoing and sociable person – now I have trouble making myself leave the house for almost anything. I am taking meds and going to counseling for this. Can I expect this effect to get better or not?

A lot of my left side has regained strength but my left hand and leg sometimes do not respond the way that I want/expect them to – kind of a lag in response. I am also struggling with fine motor skill on the left side, such as typing and others. I am also experiencing short-term memory issues and tire very easily. Should I expect these effects to hang around or is there hope that they may still improve with time?

It’s my understanding you need to give it at least one full year. Your life has changed fundamentally so anxiety and depression is not unexpected, it’s just something you’ll have to work through. You’ll get there, just don’t give up. Stay in counseling, stay on meds, to your therapy.

You’re only just getting started on recovery, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. You still have plenty of hope and plenty of things to do to keep improving.

azurelle