What would be some good questions to ask my anesthesiologist for my appointment?

I’m trying to think of questions to ask. What are some questions you guys asked your anesthesiologist when you had your appointment with them?

Hi Ellen...I take it you have never had anesthesia in the past...~ My biggest question is ... I need something to calm sooner than later...and they usually take care of that immediately...my other is to state that I had Major TMJ surgery years ago and to be careful pulling my jaw back to far...Most cover so much information, be sure someone else is there and it will most likely strike some questions up for you...~ Good Luck ~ Colleen

I had anesthesia in the past just never had an appointment with them to discuss anything a week before surgery. Also the surgeons nurse will be at his appointment and a few others.

Thank you very much

They do the asking for most part :) Let them know about motion sickness ...if you have that, it increases your chances of postoperative nausea..you can ask to be premedicated...you might want to find out if any close family members have had problems with anesthesia( parents/siblings)...the anesthesiologists will ask about that...

Clipping is done under general anesthesia...you could ask them the sequence of anesthesia induction and maintenence if interested..

Ask about postop symptoms to expecet..usually nausea/sore throat from the breathing tube...

Ellen,

Ask about any supplement...down to a vitamin pill...that should be stopped...how many days / hours prior...

Ask for a list of the general anesthesia meds...of any additional for your specific type of surgery...and, what may be used if there are any complications. Prayers you/others forgive me for suggesting potential complications...however, they can/may/do occur in minimally invasive coiling...a/w/a open surgery...and, neither are really unique to our brain aneurysms...

Ask, if a Resident will be performing...if yes, if the senior anesthesiologist (right title?)...will be present/close throughout the entire procedure...I am so specific due to my minimally invasive treatments/anesthesia...

So hope these suggested questions do not cause anxiety...the potentials and adjustments/additions if needed...to get to the great results...This meeting w/the anesthesiologist is one more blessing to you...

More Hugs and prayers,

Pat

Ellen...same here...none with the minimally invasive treatment...

Hope your advocate is with you, too...Ashhan had great suggestion to check your family history of anesthesia meds...

One question I would ask (as a veteran of being under a few times) is how will he/she be monitoring my cognitive and physical state while under anesthesia? The reason I suggest this is that I had my first surgery monitored ineffectively. While under for a two hour surgery, it turned into a six hour surgery because another department (biopsy lab) fiddled around with the testing, not knowing my surgeon was waiting for the results. I ended up with a few damaged nerves on the opposite side of the body because the nerves were compressed and starved for blood flow. Fortunately the surgery corrected the intended matter but screwed up the other side of the body (win/lose). A simple monitor called a SSEP (really long medical term) would have alerted the anesthesiologist I was in trouble.

Thank you so much for ideas

Thank you thank you :slight_smile:

It is greatly appreciated that you responded. Thank you so much!