What is a Brain Aneurysm?

What Is A Brain Aneurysm?

A brain aneurysm is a weak bulging spot on the wall of a brain artery, very much like a thin balloon or weak spot on an inner tube.

Brain Aneurysm Statistics

• An estimated 6 million people in the United States have an unruptured brain

aneurysm, or 1 in 50 people

• The annual rate of rupture is approximately 8 per 100,000 people or about

25,000 people

• About 40% of all people who have a ruptured brain aneurysm will die as a result

• 4 out of 7 people who recover from a ruptured brain aneurysm will have disabilities

• Brain aneurysms are most prevalent in people ages 35 – 60, but can occur in children as well

• Women, more than men, suffer from brain aneurysms at a ratio of 3:2

• Ruptured brain aneurysms account for 3–5% of all new strokes

Warning Signs/Symptoms

Unruptured

• Cranial nerve palsy

• Dilated pupil

• Double vision

• Pain above and behind the eye

• Localized headache

• Drooping eyelid

Ruptured

• Localized or diffuse headache associated with

one or more of the following:

• Nausea and vomiting

• Stiff neck

• Blurred or double vision

• Sensitivity to light (photophobia)

• Change in mental status or awareness

• Seizure

Risk Factors that doctors and researchers believe contribute to the formation of brain aneurysms:

• Smoking

• Hypertension

• Congenital resulting from inborn abnormality

in artery wall

• Drug use, particularly cocaine

• Infection

• Tumors

• Traumatic head injury

• Family history of brain aneurysms

• Other inherited disorders: Ehler’s Syndrome,

Polycystic Kidney Disease, and Marfan’s Syndrome

• Presence of an arteriovenous malformation

What symptoms did you or your family member experience?

The wife had a headache for the better part of three days,now back then the medical coverage wasn’t like it is now,she wouldn’t go to a doctor or hospital.Our grand daughter was about a week old(this was around Easter of 99) we went to see her and got out of the truck,when I walked around to see why she wasn’t coming along,she was sitting in the road,I helped her up and started to visit with the new baby.My son wasn’t at home so we went to my brothers right down the street,she vomited in the truck and she went inside so I could clean up the truck,I went in and she was un responsive,so I decided to take her to the hospital after I knew something was wrong,we were going to the hospital when she slid down in the floorboard,I knew I could not take care of her and drive at the same time,I pulled off the road,picked her up into the seat and ran inside a realtors office and called 911,thank god we were in the city we were in.The ambulance arrived and she was transported,our lives changed completely in the blink of an eye.Thats our story

Hey, this is old! Closing it to posts, feel free to start a new thread