Well that didn't go as planned advice appreciated

Wow, you’ve had a lot to digest!! So my advice only is to REST and PREPARE for you next procedure. Yes those Blood Thinners are the pits, but keep any clots at bay.
I had a choice; Endovascular surgery and would have to have Angiograms first 6 months, then every year for checks up, that’s when Surgeon looks to see if there is any changes. With a Craniotomy the Aneurysm is gone forever and no more treatment is usually needed. Thank goodness it did not rupture!! Maybe you could take the time to educate yourself, this site and others are sooo healthful to us.
Best good health wishes.

1 Like

@starbirder I’ve slowly been learning a thing or two. The reasoning for not coiling is because its a wide neck bifurcation aneurysm which i guess is difficult to coil properly. The dome to neck ratio is 1. It’s also oddly shaped, not smooth, which supposedly puts it into the high rupture risk category. Honestly waiting for surgery the 1st week of April is both a blessing and a nightmare. A blessing because I dont want to do it and its scary so i have a lil bit of time to try to wrap my head around it, and a nightmare because i have a constant headache with intermittent nausea and dizziness, which in these circumstances kind of makes me a little nervous. I’m just going day to day and learning what I can. The support, information, and personal experiences from all of you has been everything to me!!

3 Likes

@Pat_M I am glad you made it through! It had to be scary for the 1st while to have your speech affected. I can’t imagine how terrifying that would be at first, thankfully you went back to being mostly yourself fairly soon.

1 Like

@Nina1 and @chan273 I have panic disorder as it is, but its pretty well controlled without meds. (Took many years to get here though) Of course anything that makes me feel “not myself” seems to be a trigger, whether thats pain pills, or unusual body sensations etc, so I wonder how this whole thing is going to affect how well I have things under control. It might be a bit challenging for sure depending on how what changes or complications I face. I’m glad you are getting better with time and that you made it.
@Cluelesinny That had to make it even more difficult going through this during the 1st part of covid. Im glad to hear your recover went well…it gives me some hope for the same. I was starting to really hammer down on eating healthy and exercising before this adventure begain a few weeks back…and its been the last think in my mind since. Really hoping for and looking forward to a time when this is over and I am recovered and can focus on things like again.

@SeeJ I think it is helping knowing what to expect, but yes it is scary. I just hope, like you, that I will end up at a point where I can look back and say that it was worth it.

@LauraE I cannot imagine the extra layer of fear that happens when you have an aneurysm rupture! I am so happy you made it through ok, and I am definitely happy they found mine ahead of time! I am just hoping for a smooth recovery and to avoid complications and potential deficits as much as possible. The extra time to think and know does make it hard sometimes. I spend more time than I would like wondering if I will come out the same person I went in as, but then I tell myself ultimately, in any case, the answer is no. Facing something like this changes the way you look at things etc, so some things may change for the worse, some for the better, and I’m just trying to ride it out and let the unknowable play out however it does. Easier said than done, but I’m working at it often.

1 Like

@purpleplume great advice! I think I have a decent surgeon lined up which helps the nerves some, and I am trying to prep and learn also. It is nice that there is information gathered here, it really helps.

Mnmandy,

I am new to this web group, but not new to the impact of an “Annie” (I love that you all call it that!). In 1994 I had a “giant” Annie that burst, and now have a porcelain clip. I, too, was worried about what the clip would mean to me. I am not a lucky person (blessed, yes, but lucky, no), and trip/fall a lot (even pre-Annie) – just a klutz by nature. I was particularly concerned a couple of times: 1. when I has my first pregnancy, and 2. when I had my first car accident. My family doctor was also new to having an Annie patient, so she shared my concerns. Though my neurosurgeon said all was fine, I was still nervous. But he was absolutely correct. The clip, once placed, is very secure. I since have had two more children and way too many car accidents to list (nope, not my fault, just a magnet for others, I fear), and have had absolutely no problem with any side effects from the clip. Also, it is great that it is porcelain because it doesn’t trigger any concerns in security checks! :slight_smile:

This is not to say that you may not have some after-surgery challenges, as shared by Pat_M and as I had, but each day you will grow stronger and more confident with this life-protecting jewel in you.

3 Likes

Mandy, I am praying for you. You got this and this group is here for you. Take care!

2 Likes