Watch and wait- how long?

Neuro appt tomorrow-

I had an aneurysm double clipped on the right MCA almost three years ago and at the same time, a 3mm mirror one on the left was discovered. I have no restrictions and have an MRI annually to ensure no growth occurs. So far, so good. I decided a long time ago worry would get me nowhere with it, so I choose to only think about it when I get the annual reminder for my MRI.

Have a 7 on my left optic nerve,found in 2012, have MRI done yearly, met with surgeon Dr.Sinclair best in Ottawa area. 12 hour surgery to clip,he suggested diversion stint, met with radiologist in April 2014,he thought he could differt, but could cause more harm than good so he suggested wait and watch. I am 58woman non smoker non drinker,but do have high blood pressure and mild type two. No pain or problems from Annie other than anixetys which I am being treated for, but the restrictions are hard, no flying ,stay calm, bending head to long , and the hardest no sex.

Hi Kit, for me it's been 33 yrs. I've been watching......but now, I have to take care of business!

1 Like

I'm watch and wait too. 30 years old, giant aneurysm. It hasn't ruptured and I had a stent fitted 2 years ago which didn't really work. It shrank it a bit but its still in the giant category... my neuro never tells me its size - not sure why?!

They said if it doesn't shrink more by January there's the option to operate again stent or occlude it otherwise they may decide to just leave it. Not sure what's best, to tackle the aneurysm and risk surgery and have to take time off work again or to leave it and always know its there and the risk it may burst.

I do headstands in yoga too... thought that would be ok but perhaps not?

Good to hear from others who watch and wait, its tough.

I was diagnosed with a 4.5mm anniein the A2 segment of the right anterior cerebral artery, in Nov of 2012. In April of 2013 we had coiling scheduled, with coils and stent to be placed, however my blood did not thin to where it was therapeutic to place the stent, so surgery was cancelled. I then opted to have it clipped and went in on May 29 2013. I spent almost 15 hours on the table, and took 3 and a half days to wake up only to find it was unsuccessful. The placement of my annie and oddly enough, my brain, prevented it from being done. There is no space between the lobes, mine are actually fused together and that blocked reaching it. My surgeon clipped 3 of the 5 veins that were in the way and they were still unable to reach the aneurysm. So, after a quarter of a million dollars worth of hospital bills and unsuccessful surgery, I am monitoring it. I had a CT scan Dec 2013 which showed no change and I am scheduled for a more thorough scan this November and meeting with my surgeon. I would like to have it fixed but am not sure WHAT it will entail..his nurse told me at our last meeting, it would involve time in the hosp and testing, in order to coil it and find what will work to thin my blood for the stent. And it's hard, as my surgeon is 6 hours from my home. I do sometimes wonder about opting for another hospital and seeing what is said...but with all that time spent, travel, expense and the huge bill at that hospital..I wonder!!!!

No sex!? That is one restriction I have not heard of!!! Sorry to hear that, although I was told to watch the lifting and bp, as well as no smoking.

Sex coffee cola all raise blood pressure , look it up on internet, at my age I don't mind , hubby is OK with it has bad ticker so best not, but the odd cuddle and smooch is good to relax:)

What a wonderful post Ricky. Continue with that positive attitude, it seems like it is a blessing to others, and to me as well.

Carrie Smith

Check it out online raises bloodpressure

Mine as well, I guess different here in Canada, know how you feel again they go by age my doc says if I was twenty hell yes fix if I was sixty five oh well so at fifty eight leave it be could cause more problems if they go in,he says one in one hundred or one percent chance of rupture so we leave alone and deal with all the other what its that my therapist is trying to teach me to remove but not easy unless one lives with this. Have to walk in our shoes to understand the fear much like a cancer patient in remission,when does it end:(

I really feel like an outsider, hear as my as my aneurysm is in the left common iliac artery, but like most everyone, watch and wait it is. It was found By MRI on 08Jul14, and is 1.8cm. They won't treat until it gets to 3cm.

My prayers are with everyone here.

I had one aneurysm clipped and one they are Watching. That was 2 years ago. I am supposed to have an MRA in 5 years. I felt that too long of a wait and so I asked for 3 years. I thought they would check it every year. Curious as to how often everyone get an MRA.

eileen

How big is the one they are watching?

Iā€™m also in Canada. What doctor are you seeing?

I know it raises bp, guess I was just surprised is all!!! The only restriction I was told by my dr was no lifting over 25 pounds. Since I quit smoking after it was found. And my bp is pretty normal..and I keep that down by ridding my life of negativity!! :)

Here's what I wonder...going thru operations, whether coiling, clipping, etc...I suppose it LESSENS the chance of something happening, where as leaving untreated increases the chances. My point is, I know of 2 people, know them well, both had annie's and had them coiled...and both ruptured AFTER having them done. Both survived..so I guess there really is no 100% fix or guarantee with things. I know that doesn't sound positive, but I guess I'm a realist. I hate living with this thing and there's no knowing HOW long I've had it..since I've never had health issues until this. IDK, I have so many thoughts on these things, positive and negative..but I do try to steer away from the negative.

Here's another thought...what about going to the bathroom??? Someone ever had issues with a BM, and have to strain and push...well, everything under the sun CAN raise the bp...so it makes me wonder about the restrictions. If ya strain hard enough to GO...you can very well increase your blood pressure...so what about that, besides taking something every day for that!!! How can they say, for 100%, what actually CAUSES them??? A girl I know died from one..younger than I, healthy, active, never smoked, the daughter of a dr herself..perfect health. Boom, dropped dead from an annie!!!

Hi Kristen. I got your note but could not figure out how/where to re

To reply to you so I am doing it here! When the head of Yale neurosurgery told me heā€™d ā€œwrappedā€ my remaining aneurysm that he couldnā€™t clip, I freaked out! It didnā€™t sound right! He said it was with some type of gauze! So thatā€™s why I got the two additional opinions in the city and they told me that it was wrong wrong wrong. Like malpractice wrong. The NYU surgeon seemed most confident of being able to fix it and he saved my life with two small clips. My aneurysm is GONE and a year later, Iā€™ve had an angiogram and all is well. Coiling can be good and is not too invasive. But the clip eliminates it if done correctly. I will never go anywhere but NYU, Columbia, Hopkins, or Mass ever again for anything. All docs and hospitals are not created equal!