Waiting to see neurosurgeon

I was diagnosed with a 15mm brain aneurysm on October 15th. I saw a neurologist who then referred me to a neurosurgeon. My appointment is December 11th. He said it’s to see if I am a candidate for surgery. I have no idea of the placement or type of aneurysm. What constitutes whether or not a surgery will happen? To say I’m anxious and nervous is an understatement .

Hello PaulaW,
you’re still blessed, because I think your’s is unruptured ‘Annie’ all you need to do is to be more cautious on the foods have some rest for awhile don’t get too much stress of course i know that’s really impossoble to now but give your self a break, I had mine and it was What I 'call a challenging event happened 13 years ago and still exist in this wonderful world.
I hope you get checked up and good news will came up for you.

LOVELOTS
Maes

“To say I’m anxious and nervous is an understatement .”
Well, I must say that’s pretty normal, I mean, who wouldn’t be? I could say try not to stress, but when people said that to me I wanted to rip their heads off. How on earth do we not stress when we’re told we need neurosurgery? It’s a scary thing to be told. We can all go down the ‘worst case scenario’ line (Well, I did) though to be honest it doesn’t help. ‘Try’ to keep yourself occupied doing something, anything. I found rolling the same thoughts over and over just made my stresses increase. Not a good thing.

But there are many variables to your question, especially when you are unsure of placement or type. As blunt as this may sound There is very little you can do until you see the surgeon and they inform you of your options. Some surgeons may recommend a wait and monitor approach, some may recommend surgery but until the surgeon actually makes that assessment, it really is impossible to tell. There are a few things that the surgeon needs to take into consideration to make such an assessment.

1. Your general health - This can have a large impact on your recovery
  2. The size of the annie
  3. The location/type of the annie

Each of these can/will have an impact on the course of action.
I wish you the very best of luck with your appointment and hope that you obtain the answers/results that you need. And please do let us know how you get on.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

1 Like

Please keep us update after you appointment …just be careful , rest more , I wouldn’t lift anything heavy and wouldn’t take alcohol …

I believe that the best Neurosurgeon that there possibly is, is: Dr. Harry Van Lovern at Tampa General…I had my Brain Aneurysm surgery in June of 2005 after being declared dead three times before seeing Dr. Van Lovern, he is amazing…Good luck and God Bless…

My mom has two unruptured aneurysms. One is 18mm. They told her they do surgery if it’s over 5mm. I don’t see why they wouldn’t do surgery, unless you have an underlying medical condition other than this. But I’m also not a doctor. Take it one day at a time and try keep your blood pressure down.

Well, turns out there was a typo in my report and the aneurysm is 4mm and not 15mm. However, I got a call for surgery last week and I am scheduled for the clipping this coming Friday. I am extremely nervous to say the least but will be glad to put this behind me.

I had a 4 mm clipped in June. The anticipation was way worse for me than the day of surgery and everything after. You can do this!!! Hang in there with the waiting and know you’re not alone. (((Hugs)))

3 Likes

Difficult time of waiting … :frowning: I wish you surgery and recovery to go smoothly !

Good luck Paula, hoping everything goes smoothly. Please post back how it went when you can to let us know how it went.

1 Like

best of luck to you!

So I was on my way to my pre-op appointment when I got a call from the ER scheduling department that they had a couple of emergencies come in. My surgery has now been postponed until February 20th.

Tsk, that is disappointing. You get yourself all emotionally ready and… …nothing.
Hope it goes better next month.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

So sorry to hear about your delay in surgery. You’ve had wonderful courage to get this far and i pray that you can continue to draw upon that strength for the next month while you wait. We are all wishing you the very best.

Sorry to hear about your delay. I know how hard waiting can be. I waited from mid-Sept. to Dec. 5 to have my aneurysm treated. Just take things one day at a time. Hugs from Canada.

Oh that’s a bummer it got pushed back! Waiting is the hardest part! (((Hugs)))

Hi Ida, I am in Canada as well. It is a struggle becasue I had myself as mentally prepared as I could possibly be and now I have to go through the whole process again. I am taking it one day at a time and just hoping and praying for the best. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Paula, I live about 45 min. from University Hospital in London. Dr. Mayich did the coiling and stent procedure. When I went in the day of the procedure, I decided that because he was confident in doing it, I would be confident that he would do it well. And he did. I know too well how hard waiting is. Hugs

I had the same thing happen to me. It’s like you’ve prepared to play in the Superbowl and they postpone it. You are like an athlete getting ready for the biggest game of your career.
I was able to prepare again and the surgery went well. I’m sure yours will also.
Will be thinking of you on the 20th!!