Vision loss

When my dad had his hemmorage it impaired his vision. He doesn’t have prefifial vision,so the doctor said he would never drive again. I just can’t give up on him… Driving was.a Big part of his life…so I’m going to take him for a second opinion. He hasn’t even done vision rehab. So I’m asking if there is anyone out there that the doctor said you would never drive again and as time went on you were able too…

Has your dad been referred to a neuro-oph?

Has your dad's hearing been tested and/or discussed? Anatomically, sometimes it can relate to particular vision issues...

Did the doctor who told you your dad would never drive again, notify your state DOL to cancel his license?

Yes, many of us have had issues w/driving... I matured decades ago, when public safety first was prominent in a major corporation...because when the public was protected...so were we, the drivers...

There is a website http://www.iovs.org that relates to driving and access to your state's driver license data...

I was blessed with vision therapy; however, it was not begun until 22 months post-initial treatment...including two major angio follow-ups... I absolutely cherish the results of vison therapy... tho I am yet so slow.... I did see neuro oph before an during therapy...to medically validate the success...of optometric treatment with which personally I was completely satisfied/trusting... But because our brain damage is way beyond vision failure, it is also imporant to have the med validation...

My DOL was never contacted for restriction or cancellation of my license... Then one of the Rehab docs said to get some form at the DOL office for re-testing...tho nothing in the records of it... In for the form...the DOL stamped my license that it would expire in 30 days...unless the test was taken/passed. What is so sad...I could legally drive in those 30 days; and more so, if I had not bothered to go in for that form...I could have legally driven on my initial license...and the standard renewal in a couple of years...

During those 30 days, my niece took me driving...as she had her teenagers...Initaly she did not let me back out of my own driveway...took me to quiet roads, etc...a little step at a time...Consider your potential of taking him driving (if he yet has a legal license) and discuss it with his doctor...and/or talk with one of the (blanking) driver trainer/oganizations...You may also want to check what AARP/other organizations may have in driver updates in your area; if not for immediate use/advatage...for future....

In addition, how much interest/action can you generate in your dad, talking about driving (not just 'I want to') but what he can/will do in research with or w/out your assistance; the more he can/will do, will be helpful to you/others... I have no expertise...talk it all over with his doctor...

Without expertise, I can tell you, personally, I cherish the vision therapy I went through

Prayers for success and safety...

Pat

hi there-yes I got the same problem--sorry no I was not able to drive again- its been 3 yrs-they were so vague the therapists said 7 weeks or 7 years to return to work and they said vision might come back. I wish I had an encouraging report maybe the others will. I wanted to tell you the truth to prepare you for the future. Think positive and keep the faith!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the responses. Jim, I have gone to 1 meeting at Mass General and I plan on going back with my dad this month, if I can get him to finally go… He has a Neuro opthomologist at Mass eye and ear, but was going to try for a second opinion. My dad thinks he’s never going to have some sort of life again. I just want him to try to stay positive, especially where he has an AVM that needs to be operated on and he has chosen not too have the operation:(