Vascular surgeon for a brain aneurysm?

why would my wife be scheduled to see a vascular surgeon when she has been diagnosed with a brain aneurysm?

Jim...

First...what was explained to you that was visualized on the aneurysm diagnosis...e.g. angio, CTA, MRA suggesting the need for a vascular surgeon's opinion?

On-line Research: vascular surgeon specialty ... there is an organization/association...lots of detail which may help you in establishing your questions to the doc who did the referral...

Wow...you are blessed...in my personal opinion...

For two of us, a vasc doc was called in after the fact...the minimally invasive coiling/stenting...

Have decisions been made on which procedure...or a "wait and see"...time frame?

You may want to call the doc and ask whatever your notes may not cover...you will likely get much more feedback here...

Prayers for successful results...and, that you keep us updated...

Pat

Hi Jim,

My neurosurgeon is also a vascular (blood vessels) expert. There was a slight chance that I needed a bypass during my clipping due to the size, shape and placement of the aneurysm. Luckily I did not need it. However, it was comforting to know that my surgeon was highly capable of performing this extra procedure instead of waiting to call someone in.

You should be able to Bing or Google your wife's doctor to see what his/her qualifications are. You need to make sure this doctor is actually qualified to perform NEUROSURGERY.

I saw a vascular surgeon for a problem with leg veins. No way in hell was she qualified to perform brain surgery.

Ask questions and lots of them!

Terri

Jim, sometimes vascular surgeons need to review records, reports and check the vascular condition of your wife before they proceed. I had a cerebral hemmorage and almost died. Once my brain began to absorb the blood my neuro surgeon performed cerebral angio and found my brain aneurysm. Be sure to ask a lot of questions I can not express that enough

Hi Jim,

Depending upon where the aneurysm is located (which artery/segment) sometimes an open clipping (brain surgery with a craniotoimy) is not a viable option. Vasular neurosurgeons are usually the ones who perform the coiling procedures, which is not 'open' brain surgery like the clipping procedure. It is a newer route of technology and is performed via a catheter thru the femoral artery, reaching the arteries in the skull where 'coil's' are dispatched at the aneurysm from within the artery walls....the coils 'coil' the aneurysm, sometimes one or two coils, sometimes 10 coils, depending on the aneurysms size....Often times the coil technology can't be used and a full on craniotomy has to be performed in order to 'clip' the aneurysm by way of using titanium 'clips', (Its the original, 'old school' way of fixing the aneursym). I've undergone both procedures, and in my experience I found the clipping to be the way to go as the clipping offers a bit more security (Coils have a tendancy to 'compact' as time wears on, meaning that more coils will need to be placed at some point down the line...not always, but it does happen.) Last i knew the numbers were at %25 that the coils would need to be re-addressed again in the future. a clipping is known to be the most invasive 'fix' ofcourse yet the least worrisome regarding the future of ones annie.

Like Terri noted, not ALL vascular surgeons are qualified to do brain surgeries...there are so many variables and a lot of major decisions to be made. Ask tons of questions of all the surgeons involved in your wife's care, pro's and cons's to each procedure offered, and ask how many surgeries have been done by the doctors, etc. etc. recovery time, related after-effects of each prodedure , the works. Best of luck in thIs journey, it certainly isn't an easy one! Peace, Janet

one surgeon can do many things.

I went to see a vascular surgeon and I I had five aneurysms and the went through my artery instead of opening my brain to fix two of the aneurysm it is a safer procedure.

I just realized my surgeon was a vascular surgeon ... the one that did the coiling... I just knew both as Neurosurgeons...

Thank you all for your responses. First step was to talk to a vascular surgeon...going to do a CTA on the mid body to see if there are any aneurysms. Then we meet with him to discuss options and recommendations to see if brain surgery is needed and if so, vascular surgeon will recommend a radiologist neursurgeon (all kinds of different names for these kind of doctors). It could be just wait and see and monitor aneurysm and blood pressure.

Jim,

My neurosurgeon is a vascular surgeon as well as a neurosurgeon. One thing I liked about that, was that I didn't feel that he pushed one procedure over another. When it came down to the actual procedure needed he and 8 colleagues discussed my case and came to the same conclusion that my aneurysm was not a good candidate for coiling. It was nice that after feeling complete trust with my surgeon I did not have to go to anyone else. He is the one that performed my angiogram and my craniotomy. He will be the surgeon I will see until he retires which hopefully will be after I no longer need to see him. He is younger than I am. I pray that you find the right surgeon for your wife that you are both as happy with as I am with mine.

Carol

Carol...you were blessed...included in prayer is the longevity of your neuro-doc...

Pat