Vago spasm

I was in the hospital (ICU) for about 24 days after my hemorrhage. The blood outside of the vessels caused my vasospasms. They kept my bp elevated and monitored my blood flow during this time. It was temporary while the blood that leaked into my brain cavity was decomposing. I don't think it will normally be a thing that lasts a lifetime... just while the blood outside the vessels decomposes.

Quick question Ravibo,,,, I had Brain Aneurysm Surgery w/a ‘Clip' in 1997. In 2011, I had a Seizure. After all the testing, they decided that my Brain had just discovered a foreign object in my Brain, the ‘Clip’. When it was all over with, they put me on Keppra. I still take it twice a day, with no side affects. So my question is what kind of side affects do you have from Keppra ?

Thanks,,,

I dont have any advice to give, but a few months after I was released from hospital, I was out and about and just blacked out for no reason. I was told the same thing, it was vaso vagal syncope (a very fancy way to say they think I fainted) but I never really got any other info. I think this is probably one of those things that happens to some people but the docs may not fully understand why so they just put it down to fainting.

Hi There :

As an aneurysm survivor, I can tell you that I had vasospasms 21 days post bleed. I was still in ICU at the time but reading your post scared me a bit. It has been over a year for me as a survivor and I have 5 coils and a stent in two of my aneurysms. One that ruptured and one that hadnt and was fixed. However I get very dizzy from time to time and although I dont pass out I really cant stand when it happens. I read up on it a bit and saw that some people get what is called "positional vertigo" and can cause the dizziness.

But at the same token, I would ask if she can be checked for vasculitis ( inflammation of the vessels). There can be areas of the brain that were injured more than others were. A Neurologist ( not a Neurosurgeon) would be the most help as they will get to the root of the problem. Neurosurgeons are great for getting in and fixing the problem, but Neurologists do work ups to rule out the diagnosis.

I am not a doctor by all means but I spoke to one of my friends and I sure hope this helps you in your situation. keep us posted

Chris

Hi ninergirl,

I had coiling for an unruptured aneurysm a year last May. After I was discharged 3 days later I was re admitted with a terrible headache & extreme visual disturbances. I had an odd sensation deep in my brain & I remember thinking something wasn’t right. All of sudden my left arm & leg were shooting upwards voluntarily, they did a CT scans & said all was ok then I was discharged. 5 days after my surgery I experienced pulling of my face & weakness in my arm I was told at the Hospital it could have been a Tia or seizure. I kept having odd turns where I felt dreadful. The neurologist I saw later said I had experienced vasospasm, the neuro radiologist who performed my surgery said the symptoms could be caused by tiny clots breaking off around the coils. The neurosurgeon disagreed. & said it was possibly a form of migraine!!! I was admitted to Hospital just last Thursday,with an extreme sudden headache that left me really shaky. The Hospital took me straight to he high dependency unit. I had another CT to rule out a bleed. I just wish they would all agree & also admit that my symptoms are due to the coiling. I’m on my way back home on the train from London at the moment after after an MRA on my head and neck. Some days, I also feel like I am about to pass out. I am being tested for temporal arteritus which is the veins in the temple area. I can’t stand for any length if time before feeling like I’m going to pass out. I also have dizziness & visual disturbances.All my blood tests are normal my blood count is excellent. It’s early days for your Sister, make sure she rests a lot & doesn’t over do things.

Eve x

Hi Pat!

keppra made me feel very disoriented and in certain stores that were loud and bright (grocery stores mostly) I felt really ill. Usually dizziness and nausea.

I can only add that when I had my aneurysm back in 2001, I'm told (of course I was unconscious) that after they took me in and mopped up the ruptured bleed, that the risk time was after that when I could have had a vasospasm. I didn't but they emphasized to my wife the very real risk. All good, though after all these years and I believe that vasospasm is "just part of the process", so take heart that "all will be well"!

Here are some sites that have info on them. I would also suggest a second opinion:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/811669-overview

http://www.aapsus.org/articles/42.pdf

Ravibo,,, Thanks for the info and sorry that Keppra treated you that bad. I will remember your experience with it and if thing’s change like that for me I will (hopefully) remember what you said about your Keppra side affects.

Thanks again,,,