The struggles and questions of a survivor's wife

Survivors wife,
I am a survivor his wife also. My husband is in a rehabilitation hospital until he gets strong enough to come home. I can’t imagine driving one and a half hours away from therapy one way. After my husband comes home we will still have outpatient therapy but it is only 20 minutes away one way. Hats off to you for being a great wife, as I consider myself a great wife also. It’s hard but it’s for better or worse in sickness and in health. Good luck in the recovery process. Stay strong. From one survivors wife to another, caregiving is hard and we got this! XO

G and K,

Thanks! I was very tiring but I just wanted him to get as much help in his recovery as possible. We were in the hospital (actually 5 different ones) for 65 days. It's a long journey and it continues. You're so right, for better or worse, in sickness and in health. I know God blessed us with 33 years of health before this happened and I depend on Him to see us through the hard times. I pray for strength for you as you walk out this journey. It's not easy and it can become over-whelming at times. I've found that it helps to have a good cry, get some rest and believe that tomorrow is a new day! If you ever need to vent, I'm here to listen and understand. You can always email me :) Wishing you the best!
G and K said:

Survivors wife,
I am a survivor his wife also. My husband is in a rehabilitation hospital until he gets strong enough to come home. I can't imagine driving one and a half hours away from therapy one way. After my husband comes home we will still have outpatient therapy but it is only 20 minutes away one way. Hats off to you for being a great wife, as I consider myself a great wife also. It's hard but it's for better or worse in sickness and in health. Good luck in the recovery process. Stay strong. From one survivors wife to another, caregiving is hard and we got this! XO

To Survivor's wife...

Has your husband had both extensive vision testing and auditory testing?

I had noted (now, we can check my memory on names!)...to our new member Mary w/reference to the various sites of data...new to me...and, I found them so much easier to read (part of that may also relate to my delayed recovery - however, I thought of the 'ease of it' at least for me)...

I have to find some of my other learned data...(learning does not guarantee memory) that the auditory cortex is right behind the visual cortex of the temporal lobe area... Any time researching...use the selected words and add 'anatomy and physiology' for more detail...

survivor's wife said:

G and K,

So sorry to hear about your husband. I understand what you're going through. My husband has improved a lot since the annie and heart surgery, but still has trouble finding words. It's kinda weird, but it's like I know what he's thinking before he says it. It makes it easy to help him when he's trying to find the word he is wanting to say. He was in speech therapy twice a week for a year. 90 sessions! It was 80 miles one way. It really helped and I sometimes wish he was still going. He worked harder to regain his reading but now he doesn't want to do "homework". It's still very difficult for him to read. Just hang in there, be patient. It will get better with time and work. My husband was very emotional when we came home...after 65 days. I think putting him on an anti-depressant helped a lot. Praying for you and him!

G and K said:

Survivors wife,
Hi, my husband had a heart attack and a stroke on 6/7/16, and a CT scan showed a 7.4 mm aneurysm. We were In the hospital 11 days and then transported to a rehabilitation hospital for 4 more days. As a result of the stroke my husband suffered from asphasia and apraxia, as his stroke affected speech,understanding and emotions. It caught my attention that you said your husband struggled with reading and writing . Has his symptoms improved?

Hey Elizabeth, hope all is well with your ongoing recovery. I just read your comment on this post and saw you say that your a hairdresser. I am as well and will be having Coiling done to my 2 Annies on Aug.8th . Hope you dont mind me asking you a few questions.
1.) Did u have any vision issues during recovery?
2.) How soon did u go back to work in the salon?
3.) Was it full time or a few days/hours per day?
4.) How was it standing up at work?

I’ve taken 4wks off of work just assuming I’ll need it. But as u know, no clients, no work No Money. My boss wasn’t too happy but I don’t care. Im very nervous. I’ve read people had Double Vision after surgery.

Thanks for taking the time to read this . I look forward to ur reply.

I had the coiling and stent procedure done in Dec. 2018 for a large unruptured annie. There were no vision issues following the procedure. I was out of the hospital the next day and I was tired for some time afterward. I experienced some hair loss, but it has grown back now. It is natural to be nervous, but you don’t have too long to wait now.
Praying all goes well for you. Keep in touch.

Iam new so hope responding right.I read your story about your story with you and husband.It touched my heart your a amazing wife.In my life my husband is the one that takes care of me.So to all the caregivers without you we couldn’t make it through.Its Love of each other with God’s help and blessings.Thank you for sharing so much of your life.It really gives me hope.:two_hearts:

1 Like