The big bad world: employment questions

I had my aneurysm coiled 36 months ago. It was my second one in the space of two years and since then I have suffered from headaches ( which are no longer so frequent) and fatigue. I am about to complete my MSc and will have to begin applying for jobs. I was doing my first year of masters when I had the 2nd aneurysm and in my second year of the MSc, I tried to clock in regular masters student hours (about 10 a day). Of course, I crashed and burned within a few months and had to reduce my working hours to 6 a day. Prior to that, when I had the 1st aneurysm, I was working as a lab technician at the chemistry department in my university and struggled with the same thing. However, my colleagues and boss at the time often told me I was lazy and would never make it in either science nor engineering. With this in mind, I would like to know if anyone else battles with fatigue and how they cope with it while having a regular 9 to 5 job? Is it a must to inform your future employer or would that put me at a disadvantage?

1 Like

B-12 injections helped my fatigue tremendously!

Are they prescribed and how long have you taken them for? Thanks for
responding, I’ve sort of become resigned to the fact that fatigue might be
my new way of life.

I had my Annie’s stented and coiled in june of 2016 (9 months today!) and they were a surprise, believe me! I had my surgery, and about a week later had a job interview. I was hopped up on pain killers and muscle relaxers so that I could at least FUNCTION normally. I do NOT remember the job interview, but I ended up getting the job so it must have gone well. Anyways, on my first day on the job I sat them down and told them about what happened and what I can and cannot do. They have been really great and I haven’t abused their generosity. I have a lot of tired weeks, days, etc still to this day and I have to remind myself that I am still healing and it takes time. My coping mech, is to try to get to bed early and I do still take a muscle relaxer to help get and stay asleep. I also try and keep up a good diet of anti inflammatory type foods. I also take vitamins and try and take a walk during lunch breaks. Anyone that would call a person lazy that has never gone through what we have gone through has got some big ones, that’s for sure. Do they know about your aneurysms?

1 Like

I’d had just the one at that time and they knew about it. I suppose I
reinforced their perceptions of laziness because instead of telling them
off for saying such or quitting the job, I slunk off to feel sorry for
myself then worked through the headaches and exhaustion to prove them
wrong. Perhaps things will be different in the professional world; I was
working for a professor at my uni at the time all that horribleness
happened. Your story has me feeling hopeful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pepza, I don’t work anymore. But I did suffer from fatigue. My Doc suggested I had just trained myself to be tired. I had been in hospital for 28 days on the rupture, six months later, a daughter had grown and needed to be coiled on the backside I think she said. I had to retrain myself to stay awake

Now I am usually in bed by 9-9:30, occasionally 8:00 and up between 5:30 and 6:00

Just had my third coiling last month and am dealing with fatigue while trying to take care of my responsibilities. Learn to prioritize and you’ll be fine!

1 Like

Hello,

Most primary care physicians are willing to order them or locate a nutritionist in your area. Even some of the major drug store chains with mini clinics offer B12 injections.

For me one B12 injection per week has been helpful in restoring energy and minimizing fatigue. One of my neuro nurses suggested I try them.

I do think we will have many obstacles and challenges as we continue this journey. Thank God the people who post here share their experiences which are sometimes more helpful than the med pros.

Best wishes!

I am just about to return after 12weeks out. Fatigue is something I worry about too. I will ask about the B12 . Thanks

2 Likes