Brain Aneurysm Support Community

The Beast in the Jungle

“That’s why when somebody say, ‘when you get to the NBA, don’t forget about me,’ and that stuff. Well, I should’ve said to them, ‘if I don’t make it, don’t you forget about me.’” - Arthur Agee (Hoop Dreams).

The Beast in the Jungle is the title of a book by Henry James. His lead character, John Marcher, spends the majority of his time worried something bad will happen to him, and he uses the metaphor of a beast lurking in wait for him in the jungle. One of the pitfalls of recovery has been adopting this mindset and anticipating something bad will happen. While my physical recovery has begun to taper off (I still have some balance and taste issues, but thankfully nothing debilitating) I have had to address other obstacles which are simply part of life (I had quit my job before my aneurysm, and I’ve had to handle many subsequent problems on my own). However, I’ve also realized that while the situation can be overwhelming, there is also opportunity. I continue to appreciate that we are all fortunate to have survived, even though difficulties may continue to arise for the foreseeable future. Nothing is insurmountable, though, and by recognizing the areas which need to be addressed, and putting forth the effort, good things can happen in the future. Thank you, again, for all of the support, it has been helpful during some of the more difficult times.

2 Likes

Stephen, if you can find the book “Taming Your Dragons” by Martha Belknap, I think you will enjoy it very much!

I think a great way to think about all that has happened to you.To even listen to the birds outside the door.The joy of a beautiful morning sunrise.Good wishes your way.

1 Like

Always Focus on the Positives and ignore the what-ifs!

1 Like