Survivors who have developed MRSA

My fiance has developed MRSA from all of the surgeries he has had. Has anyone else had to deal with this and the surgeries that go along with it.

I am very sorry to hear about all of the surgeries and suffering your fiancé has had to endure. My wife suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on November 5, 2008. Because of the location of the aneurysm, the doctors told me that she had a very small chance of survival even if she survived the surgery. Well, she did survive. She had very serious serious problems with vasospams. At one point approximately 10 days out of surgery, the doctors told me that if my wife did not have any neurological responses within the next 12 hours I would have to make some tough choices. Fortunately, eight hours later my wife slowly began responding; first with one arm, then the rest of her lands. But they still cautioned me about what to expect as far as recovery. They tried to prepare me for the possibility of her being transferred to nursing home care. Out of the question. To make a long story short, they said she would never talk again. She speaks pretty good, with some problems of aphasia. They said she would likely remain paralyzed on her right side. Two days after arriving at the inpatient rehab center, she started moving both her right arm and leg, and now has full use of all four limbs albeit quite a bit slower and with balance problems. He also has comprehension problems and moderate to severe impairments in several other areas. Would like everyone to know, from the very first day in ICU, I asked the doctors and God are only one thing. Please give me back my wife in a condition that she just knows who I am. Anything else I will find a way to take care of her at home.

After being in inpatient rehab for approximately 5 or six days, I checked the incision under her bandage on her head and had a great surprise. The incision and separated at least 1/4 inch and the space was filled with a nasty colored goo. I immediately summoned the head nurse who after taking one look at it made one phone call, and my wife was on her way back to the hospital for surgery on the MRSA infection she had developed. After the surgery, she was put on IV antibiotics. In fact, due to health insurance limitations, I was invited to take my wife home with GI tube still in her stomach, and still using IV antibiotics twice a day. Thank God I was able to take care of her properly at home and she recovered from the infection. After much reflecting on what could have caused her infection, I searched my memory for every detail that could be connected with this cause while she was in the hospital. While she was in ICU unit, I remember that on several occasions her doctor came in on rounds and I noticed that he did not use the hand sanitizer which was kept on the wall close to the door. So much was going on at the time that I just didn’t think to say anything to him. When she was transferred from the ICU unit to the post-op floor, she was in a two bed room. In the seven days that she was on this floor, she had three or four different roommates. Several of which have very unclean visitors. I also noticed that a lot of different medical personnel were coming and going in and out of her room a lot. If they didn’t have to do anything to my wife specifically, many do not sanitize their hands when they entered the room. But on occasion, they would touch the rail of her bed or other things close to her. I can only conclude this lack of sanitizing hands was a factor in her contracting the infection. Thank you so much for listening and reading this post, because it is the first post I have made. I have found out the meaning of caregiver burnout over the last two years. I read this forum frequently, and could not wait any longer to post some of my wife’s story. I thank God every day that I not only have her, and that she knows who I am, but can also talk to me. Although we can not have a real conversation of any depth, and with her aphasia, we both have learned to be patient and communicating with each other. I found out two things while my wife was hospitalized; one, that while watching her for many days fighting for her very life I was sure that I really did love my wife. Two, I have also found out exactly how much I love my wife, and that our love for each other continuously grows. I have a newfound respect for my wife and much greater appreciation of her character, and her strength. Thank you again

Wow, what a story. I can relate to you in so many ways with my fiance. He is still to this day fighting the MRSA. It is unknown how this infection got into his head, but it did and seems that it just won’t go away. I believe it was probably done within the operation room, because other then that, the doctors and nurses were very sanitary in the ICU. What hospital was your wife admitted to? How did you know she needed to go to the hospital? God was in every part of Michael’s process as well, we had countless prayers going out for him all over the world. He has truly touched Michael’s life in ways I could never explain. I stayed with Michael all day and his mom and I would take turns at night. There was not a day that he was alone, and I think that helped as well. While watching my boyfriend at that time going through everything, you can really tell he was a fighter and my love grew for him immensly. I just wish for his sake that this will all be over soon and he can continue to recover and get back to his normal life. As of right now he has relearned to walk and is slowly starting to move his left arm. They told us that he may never be able to walk again and his whole left side would be paralyzed. Its amazing how the brain works to recover itself. I am so amazed to hear about how great your wife is doing and how great of a person you are for standing by her side and never leaving her. It takes great courage and dedication, and I believe thats the foundation for a great marriage. The lord has blessed her with you to take care of her, and I am sure he has some great plans for the both of you!!! Have a great day!!