Brain Aneurysm Support Community

Surviving and recovering from an aneurysm: my podcast

Recently, I decided to resurrect an old podcast I had conceived with a friend of mine, and I thought it would be a good forum to reflect on a myriad of topics. The first and second episodes focus on surviving and recovering from a ruptured aneurysm and subarachnoid hemorrhage. There aren’t very many specific details, but those will be covered in episode 12. I hope you enjoy them. If you are up for it, the rest of the podcast will deal with a wide variety of subjects from the comparison of coffee and tea to betting on horses at the track. I hope you are all doing well.

Well done, Stephen!
I hope you don’t mind that I changed your subject line: maybe it will attract more viewers.
Seenie

It’s all good! Thank you, and I hope you are doing well.

Good work Stephen. I listened to your podcast. It was really nice to hear and to be able to compare what you went through to my own experience. I am now 59 years old, I was 58 when I had a ruptured aneurysm just over my cerebellum. It’s been seven months and my recovery has been progressing. I noticed that after two episodes you shifted to other topics. I think I understand because there are lots of other things on my mind besides the ruptured aneurysm. Nonetheless, for purposes of the listserv I think it would be helpful for you to go into more details about what occurred. For example, where in your brain was the aneurysm? How was it repaired? Where was it done? Things like this are of interest to me. Perhaps I missed this information somehow.

Hey, Paul. I’m glad your recovery is progressing. Hang in there. I hadn’t gone into many details of the specifics, so you didn’t miss anything. However, I’m planning on doing a follow up episode in which I go into more details. The Podcast as a whole isn’t going to focus solely on the aneurysm, but I thought it would be a good place to start. I hope you continue to do well, and thank you for reaching out.

1 Like

Stephen,

Thank you for writing. Again, I appreciate what you are doing getting the word out about aneurysms. I listened to your most recent podcast I think and was happy that you included more details. The rupture you describe was near your brain stem; mine was near the cerebellum and I think to get to where they could repair mine it may have been similar in that the surgeons may have been working near the spinal cord. I think we are both especially lucky in this sense. Good to hear your podcasts, I am glad you are including details from what happened. My symptoms were very similar. I fell down, was dizzy and knew something was terribly wrong. There were signs that something was amiss that I might have attended to. For a number of reasons I did not do that. In any case I got treated very rapidly after the big bang happened……I have come a really long way from that day. I can do most things I was doing before. The main challenge now is stamina. I tire and have to rest frequently. The progress is very incremental for me energy wise but it is definitely progress.

Paul