Surgery

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site. I was diagnosed in June with an aneurysm in the left carotid artery. I had a growth on the roof of my mouth and the CT scan revealed the aneurysm. I am having surgery this coming Monday, Aug. 5th. I am very scared and anxious at the same time. I hope it goes well. I'm glad to have found this site as it seems very supportive and encouraging. Even though family and friends are supportive it's hard when they aren't the ones going through it. I had surgery on my mouth July 10 and that was harder than I thought it would be. I'll be glad when all of this is over. I'm wondering what the recovery time might be. Also, I'm having this done at Barrows Neurological Institute so I feel I'm in great hands. Cheers, Jan

Hello Jan !

Have you also had an angiogram with contrast (After the CT at the dentist) I'm assuming you have--that said, let me tell you exactly what I told my dad the other day as he and I were talking about the dentist..I think my exact words were "I'd rather have brain surgery then have to go to the dentist!" (pretty severe statement but when it comes to the pain involved, I'm choosing brain surgery as the least painful of the two! ) Which surgery are you having? coil or clip?

Peace, Janet

Hi Janet, thank you for your reply. Sorry if I sent this twice! Yes, I had the angiogram with contrast after they found the aneurysm. That makes me feel better about what you said about the dentist and you would rather have brain surgery! Did you have this surgery done? I'm not sure but I think it will be a coil.

Hi Jan,

Yes, i've had the coil done as well as two clippings, I honestly can't say "how bad" the coiling was for me as at the time I was in a coma, BUT I was "here" for both clippings which is pretty invasive (open brain) surgery, and I'm comparing the dentist to open brain surgery ! The coil procedure is done via the femoral artery so its very much like having another angiogram, and many people have no problems with the procedure at all. I do know a lot of folks expereince headaches after the coil procedure, but not everyone. When I came back to life after my coma, I was surprised to learn that I had a coil, and in my case I never experienced any headaches at all. My coils however did compact (which happens in about %25 of cases) after three years time. I was able to choose a clipping at that time in order to avoid any further disruptions in having the coils compact, so that worked out best for me.

I wish you the best of luck in this journey--its not an easy one, but I consider going to the dentist far scarier than a trip to the Neurosurgeon any day! lol, Take care,

Janet

Again Jan...Welcome to BAF ~

You have my prayers and positive vibes for your upcoming surgery...you have had the journey...Bless your Heart...

This is so true...family is supportive, but unless you are going through it...does one truly understand the emotional roller coaster...sometimes before my surgery...I would act like all is good, because I could see hubs and family so worried and if I showed I was worried all seem to get worse...keep it here...and know the Doc's gave me some Xanax to help with the anxiety before my surgery...you may want to ask for something to help take the edge off... ~ Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

hi Jan! Welcome! so glad your here as it has helped me so much but wished I found it sooner. Stick with us- we can help assist your family and friends in your support, i'm so glad you have them~ What type of surgery are you having? I was coiled sah 4 yrs ago and i'm permanently disabled from the devastating damage, u definitely don't want that so take great comfort in the fact they found it early. We will keep you in thoughts and prayers for Monday and beyond ps- Barrows is a great top notch facility!

Thank you Ron. It is the pipeline surgery but I'm not sure if I will have a stent or a coil. I've heard wonderful things about Barrows. A friend of mine had a brain tumor removed and she is doing great. Thank you for your support! I hope you are doing well.

I had my surgery yesterday. Had a stent and coil with the pipeline procedure. Still feeling a bit rough. I have to take plavix and 1 aspirin for 6 months and after 6 mos. just the aspirin. I hope my recovery goes well. I came home today. I will have another imaging done in 6 mos. Cheers, Jan

Great news Jan -- glad this is done and behind you now. Hope to hear that the roughness goes away soon . keep us posted ! and rest !

Peace, Janet

Great News...lots of rest...and feel better...