Still so emotional

It’s been 7 months since they clipped my unruptured aneurysm (right fronto-temporal) and as much as I know I have to be patient, I can’t help but be frustrated with how emotional I still am. I find that I get angry or emotional at the smallest of things now; I used to be such an even tempered person! It’s definitely worse when I’m cog-fatigued (which happens pretty often now that I’m back to working 11 hours in patient care). I’m so thankful that my fiancé is understanding, but I know it’s really hard on him, too. Does anyone have insight in (approximately) how long this might take to resolve. I guess what I’m really looking for is for someone to tell me that it will at least lessen in severity, just as many of my other symptoms have.
Thank you to all…

Liam gave you some great advice Christi...

Sending out some positive thoughts your way ~ Colleen

11 Hrs. is a long day. Anybody would be exhausted, but a brain who has been invaded by clipping, is really tired. It has been 11 yrs. since my clipping. Yes a whole lot of things get much better over time, but the fatigue still hits me like a rock sometimes. If I do a whole lot one day, such as spending alot of time on the computer and doing physical things like housework, yard work, I still, sometimes, get tired. Some of that could be my age(54). I do feel like my brain can't take a whole lot of stimulation for very long. Loud noise bothers me. Even at church. Put the lights, and background noise all together and I at times become very anxious. It took a good year before I felt like I didn't get tired easily. Your brain has been through alot. When I feel my brain is saying slow down, I go lay down in a quiet place and if it is light outside I will put a blanket over my head for total darkness. This seems to help. Only if it is a short 15 min. nap. Hang in there. You might want to read "A letter from your brain" You can google it or it might be on this site somewhere. Things will get better. Robyn

i'm so glad you have a supportive partner. there are tons of materials out there to help him AND you better understand what you're going through. "a letter from your brain", as mentioned by robyn, is excellent as is "things brain injury survivors need you to know".

but 11 hour days?!?! my goddess!! how on earth are you doing that?? i had an unruptured aneurysm that was coiled as well but i also had a stroke on the operating table. that you are back to 11 hour days post-coiling is pretty damn admirable. however, you do need to take it easy. as mentioned in many sites i've researched to try to understand why i felt so awful (and still do), they all say healing is measured in years so please don't be hard on yourself. your brain was injured. not just from the existence of the aneurysm but also from the coiling procedure itself. furthermore, if you have to have angiograms to check on the aneurysm, that's more injury to your brain. also, the aneurysm is still there placing pressure on parts of your brain and science still doesn't understand the human brain entirely.

your life may never be the same but that's not a bad thing, esp if you are surround by supportive loved ones. it's been 2 years and 2 months since my aneurysm was coiled and the one positive i gained from it was to slow down and enjoy the little things. prior to the ordeal, i felt i always had to be doing something, accomplishing something, etc. when the aneurysm forced me to stop, it was so hard to deal with but i finally came to peace with it b/c if it hadn't happened, i'd still feel like a hamster on a wheel.

when you come thisclose to death, you gain clarity of what really matters in this life.

hang in there, honeybee. it's a rocky ride but i sense you are well-equipped to deal with it. you are obviously a survivor!

Wow, Christi ~ you have received great advice here. I sure hope that you aren't working too many days in a row at 11 hours/day. As Kathy stated I was forced to slow down with all of this. I was working 14-16 hours 6 days/week in my own business. Slowing down has forced me to really look at what matters the most. I had been finding myself (after the surgery) getting uptight over things I never would have been upset over before. I started comparing those things to the things that really matter and I now pick my battles carefully. If it doesn't matter in the "Big Picture" and even sometimes if it does, I try not to get too worked up. I force myself to calm down and choose my words carefully.

Having a fiancé that supports and understands you really helps. :)

Take Care & God Bless,

~ Carol