Second Opinion?

Hi everyone, about 4 years ago I was diagnosed with 2 cerebral aneurysms. The larger of the two was originally 4mm in the right cavernous carotid artery. The smaller was only 1mm and found in the right vertebral artery. After an angiogram my original neurosurgeon recommended watch and wait with yearly scans.

Due to having moving to a new state and having a baby, I am just now getting around to getting my MRI. The results showed that the 4mm had grown to 5mm but the smaller one couldn’t even be picked up. I would likely need another angiogram to get a good look at it. My new doctor doesn’t think the cavernous aneurysm has grown enough to warrant treatment. And he doesn’t want to do an angiogram at this time. He advised me to get another MRI in 2 years and we’ll see from there.

I am not 100% on board with this. For the last month I have been having awful, acute headaches behind my right eye extending into my temple. I’ve headaches on and off my whole life, but never like this. I’m worried that the aneurysm is becoming symptomatic and the doctor is dismissing my symptoms due to the general consensus that small aneurysms don’t often show symptoms.

I would also feel more comfortable getting an angiogram to get the full picture. I know that MRI’s can be off measuring aneurysms. I’ve read of people who think their aneurysm is one size but the angiogram reveals it to be much bigger.

I know the doctor is more knowledgeable than me and I want to trust his judgement. But I’m thinking maybe I should get a second opinion to be sure? Any advise and perspective would be greatly appreciated!

Obviously I am not a doctor–I’m just responding to with what seems like common sense. My wife’s aneurysm burst at 6mm. It seems odd that your original neurosurgeon would recommend a scan yearly and your second neurosurgeon after seeing growth would recommend a longer wait until another look. You might do well to seek a second opinion. It seems the safe thing to do.

1 Like

Just tried for second opinion.

My doc refused me to take MRI. I have MRI on 2011.
She said nothing needed.
Finally I need to call to bring my case up and pointed to the doc who could see it.

It was aneurysm. I did not know. I have it in 2011.
Now it was larger. Surgery needed. For my case “cooling”

I need to take a risk, Life in God’s hand.
I changed my doc.

It is not easy, but we should do it.

Hey bwinkler,
It is your right to get a 2nd opinion and if you are not sure of the neuro or the consultation, I recommend it. I know some dr’s can become, what seems, a little complacent, writing off symptoms which for us as patients are rather concerning.

Now in saying that, you could go to another dr and be told exactly the same thing, but so long as you are prepared to hear the same thing or same diagnosis, at least it confirms the other dr’s opinion.

One point I would like to make though is that although ADRauch wife’s burst at 6mm there are many variables to the risks depending on location ie which branch of which artery and where on the branch. There are also a few other ‘contributing factors’ which also need to be taken into consideration.

In my opinion, a dr’s 2nd opinion can never hurt. I always get a 2nd opinion if something has changed or I’m unsure.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

1 Like