Scooby Brain

I thought I'd pop in to post some thoughts. I'm now about 2 years 5 mos since my non ruptured aneurysm was clipped. Other than residual face/head numbing and occasional nerve jabs in the depression in my head I'm good. I'm even oddly intrigued by the slight circular bulge where my skull was cut and now reminds me of the rubber stopper on a piggy bank's belly.

When I was healing I would occasionally run into those odd things that I'd never consider part of the process. As I ventured out more I was surprised by my brains reaction to things such as driving, sights, crowds, smells and sounds. Physical therapy and lots of games helped me get through most of those. I countered problems with speaking and short term memory by making lots of notes and joining the Habitat for Humanity. The more I spoke on the phone the easier the words came. (Unless I'm tired, then I'm a slurring mess.) The more I did, the more I improved.

In the early months of healing I had trouble remembering details from the weeks/months prior to surgery but I could easily remember details from 25 years ago. I had trouble remembering my son's name and felt the pain from a divorce as if it had just happened. It was odd and intriguing. Until I realized I'd also fallen back to the days of insecurity, low self esteem, shyness, etc.. All that growth I'd done over the years was gone. So I decided it was time to step out of the background and volunteered to man a table at a Habitat event. I figured I've been doing so well...how hard could it be. Right?

That's when I discovered my brain is still healing. Although my brain is rocking numbers, ideas and details in private (apparently at its own pace) it can't handle direct questions or make spur of the moment decisions. We had raffle tickets $5 for six. Guy asked for twelve and my brain froze. Blanked. I looked at him like if he had ten heads. I waited for my brain to send instructions and nothing happened. Like Scooby Doo 'ruh-roh'. Luckily I had a partner who I tapped and helped. Which of course didn't help my self-esteem but I admit it was slightly amusing/embarrassing. And today when someone returned my call I was proud that I was able to put sentences together as I racked by brain trying to figure out who it was. But when I tried to write down an email address he was giving me I couldn't match letters to what I was hearing. Frustrating/fascinating.

The thing is, I've discovered a hidden fault. Something that is scary because I was hoping to try finding a job but not this way. Unless I work hidden in a back room or organizing a basement (maybe Ron could hire me to help organize!). But it's also kinda intriguing. Because it's a new challenge. I've been able to improve the other faults I've encountered so perhaps I can do so with this one too. I'll just make sure not to sell tickets anymore.

Harlylena,

I am laughing Scooby girl, and maybe I should be sorry, but when you write, it’s like looking in a mirror. And I don’t mind laughing at myself! First I thought of trying to put 26 days into weeks…I thought 3 weeks was 15 days …that was just at the end of last week.

Then I thought oh Good! I get to see the Mystery Machine because when you’re done at Ron’s, you can drive it down to NC and work here too!

Big Hug for giving me a smile to go to bed on.

Ha, Moltroub, we've got to laugh! And if it makes you feel better, I read your response and thought yeah 15 days is 3 weeks. Ruh-roh.

Maybe if we counted Scooby treats…

I've decided my brain has a cool AUTO CORRECT feature that was activated after surgery. When I'm given email addresses over the phone like BLTD2@blahblah, my brain corrects it and sends the signal for my hand to write BELTED@blahblah. I'm going to try an experiment and have my son read me lists of emails as I write them. Figure it's like brain exercise.

How cool is that? Keep us posted…if I ever win the lottery, I will hire you as my autocorrect side kick!

Ha! Moltroub if I win the lottery I'll come visit!

It's been 5 years for me and I still can't figure something out. Everyday seems to be a new challenge for me. I am going through cognitive testing right now because I seem to forget things or say thing out loud that should be left alone. Then I don't remember saying it. My daughters feel I have changed a lot since the clipping. It was on my brainstem almost ready to pop. I'm grateful they found it when they did.

Good luck to you

Good luck to you too Diane. Sending virtual hugs

Diane said:

It's been 5 years for me and I still can't figure something out. Everyday seems to be a new challenge for me. I am going through cognitive testing right now because I seem to forget things or say thing out loud that should be left alone. Then I don't remember saying it. My daughters feel I have changed a lot since the clipping. It was on my brainstem almost ready to pop. I'm grateful they found it when they did.

Good luck to you

Awe thanks. Always good to know that we are normal. Hugs right back

This is another "I thought it was just me" moment. So nice to always read that others are having the same challenges that I have. Sometimes I just sit and finger the scar/indent on my head. It has become an old friend. I have also since learned that the front left side of the brain is the area that processes volume, what is more or less, up or down, etc. So now when I stand at the elevator, not sure if the 20th floor is above the 15th floor so that I can figure out whether to press up or down, at lease I understand why. What an amazingly special club we all belong to. Carol

Hiyas!!just heard a survivor tell me her dr said brains take up to 10 yrs to heal so yeah i would keep practicing especially since men are better at math!-lol kiddin but thats what they say re algebra, yeah keep trying, maybe check the second hand stores for math flash cards? tc

Harlyena I can SO relate to what you've written! I'm 2 years 3 months out, and I cannot believe the things that I'm still noticing and adjusting to. It's downright comical! I made plans to go to lunch with a friend the other day, and she asked me to stop by her office before lunch to see it, and I was supposed to drive us. All was well. and then Scooby Brain kicked in RUH ROH! I can't do a drive, go to her office, drive again, handle a conversation in a restaurant, and then drive her back. That was the OLD me!! I quickly changed the plan and told her to meet me at the restaurant. I would like to say that it was a great lunch, but instead, she spent the entire time blabbering about a mutual friend who does not like the "new me" because I'm never out anymore, and I promised myself from that day forward I will ALWAYS take a nap rather than agree to lunch with someone who knew who I used to be. Now I have a sound to make me laugh when disappointing things happen...Rooby roooby rooooo! Thanks for making me laugh!

PS I've discovered that road noise is a KILLER for my new brain. I now carry ear plugs with me everywhere, and use them even if I don't think I need them. It's helping with that "stunned" feeling.