Scam alert!

omg, i just lost internet last night, lost a huge rant, i am back!! here goes scam rant take 2-lol ---- Please be careful! Mom got scammed on the phone a few months ago, she gave them ALL her bank numbers to "lower her interest" after us all telling her a zillion times no numbers, After they said they would be deducting 900 she said no way and hung up - then had to cancel all her cards. A few days ago we got a call from "pch" saying we won 2 million, they wanted 1250$ to pay the 3% that donald trump didnt pay!! i said we have no money, he then said no worrys we will find a donor and mail you a check, dont call your bank untill you get a callback. I of course called my bank and they said scam,DO NOT CASH THE CHECK - its a bad check and by the time the bank discovers this the scammers take all your money out. I called verizon and filled a complaint- she said was it a 876 # i said yes! they are well aware of the jamaican scams!! they called back but c-i-d read "private caller" i said ohh its the jamaiican scammers, hold on i want to record you and he hung up!!-lol. Point is be careful, i almost fell for it! i think we are more vulnerable much like the seniors they like to rob, tc xoxo

A good reminder, Ron. Thanks.

I was almost scammed by someone posing as the IRS! They called from a 703 area code but told me to hold on and to answer my other line which was 1800-■■■■■■■■! That’s the IRS number. Okay then they told me my account was audited and I owed 5000.00!! They were trying to get me to pay in full at a government agency and told me not to hang up the phone because I was being recorded while I went to the bank to draw the money out. They knew my address, city and state so they could send me to a particular place where I could wire transfer the money through the government approved store so the sheriff would not come to my home and arrest me. Prior to my aneurysm which was just April 7th 2014 I would have laughed and knew this was a scam! I’m having some tests on June 12TH 2015, how do I explain this to the neuro doctor? I have other issues but this one almost cost me my entire savings.

Look into call blocking. My Time Warner account blocks calls from those who have no caller ID. I changed the settings with them, because it is not automatic. Verizon may have something similar. Some friends are blocked, because they don’t use caller ID, but they can text me. I bought a Panasonic home phone that allows me to block specific numbers, that use fake caller ID so when I get a suspicious call, I can type in the number and block it, The caller just gets a busy signal and the phone disconnects, I see a note on the phone that says “caller blocked” You can register on the Federal Communications Communication “do not call” list, but that just protects you from legitimate companies sending robocalls. I wonder if the Social Security system was hacked, because I have never received as many calls until I was on it. I read about someone who waits until they start the con, and then he says, you have reached the fraud detection unit, please hang on while we trace this call. They never call again.

great advice!! ty i sometimes say to con- this call is being traced by the pa attorney generals office- clik- they hang up!
Sigmund said:

Look into call blocking. My Time Warner account blocks calls from those who have no caller ID. I changed the settings with them, because it is not automatic. Verizon may have something similar. Some friends are blocked, because they don't use caller ID, but they can text me. I bought a Panasonic home phone that allows me to block specific numbers, that use fake caller ID so when I get a suspicious call, I can type in the number and block it, The caller just gets a busy signal and the phone disconnects, I see a note on the phone that says "caller blocked" You can register on the Federal Communications Communication "do not call" list, but that just protects you from legitimate companies sending robocalls. I wonder if the Social Security system was hacked, because I have never received as many calls until I was on it. I read about someone who waits until they start the con, and then he says, you have reached the fraud detection unit, please hang on while we trace this call. They never call again.

Great thinking - I will have to remember that!