Pseudobulbar affect (PBA)

Last night on TV just before I shut it off I saw a commercial for PBA which I did look up online this morning because it caught my attention. Are we more abt to have difficulty cause I know I have more difficulty since my craniotomy. ( embarressed, but true)

Is this condition real and does anyone else here experience any of it? They state it can stem from health problems like MS, brain injury, stroke, etc.

There is quite a bit of information on the internet about it. At Wikipedia the following below.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Pseudobulbar affect (PBA), emotional lability, labile affect or emotional incontinence refers to a neurologic disorder characterized by involuntary crying or uncontrollable episodes of crying and/or laughing, or other emotional displays.[1] PBA occurs secondary to neurologic disease or brain injury. Patients may find themselves crying uncontrollably at something that is only moderately sad, being unable to stop themselves for several minutes. Episodes may also be mood-incongruent: a patient might laugh uncontrollably when angry or frustrated, for example.

Interesting Jeanne...Thank~you for sharing...I know my husband has said more times then not since the coiling on my aneurysm...I am so much more emotional...~ Colleen

yes Jeanne that is what the occ therapist told a group of us at the rehab hospital- im not sure if she was referring to sah people like myself or the trauma people or both. to me everything is magnafyed. There was a lady outpatient there who cursed continuiously whos family said she never cursed before her sah-i havent experienced this pba im glad to report. Reminds me of when people cry at weddings and people laugh & joke at funerals. Also alcohol seems to reverse normal behavior too-my bar keep friend told me its the first thing they look for to see if someones had too much-happy guy turns angry and vice versa, thank you for posting i hope everyone can keep it on an even keel and react accordingly- things are difficult enough. i wonder if being told about this actually kept it from happening to me - certainly didnt want to experience this and rain on the parade or be a laughing fool!!! Bless you all!