New symptoms five years after surgery

Recently experiencing random sharp pains near right temple five years after surgery. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Had my five year check up Nov 2019 and everything checked out okay.

Jj

Hey Jj,
Iā€™m now 7years on since my last neurosurgery and I still have ā€˜weirdā€™ pains. Initially, every ache, every twinge and I was acutely aware. My wife was also acutely aware, she has taken me to hospital on a few occasions. They have done a scan and said ā€˜The scans fine, you can go homeā€™.

As time has gone by I have learnt which pains are ā€˜normalā€™(as if any of them are ā€˜normalā€™) and which ones are a bit more of a concern, if I see a progression thatā€™s a concern. Headaches for me are ā€˜normalā€™. If the headache progresses to numbness or tingling, if I get nausea, if it affects my vision, I know I need to act. Now these are my signs and you will learn yours. The best advice I can give here is ā€œBe aware, but not alarmedā€.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

Hi Merl,

Thank you for your reply. Good advice!

My husband is very in tune to my condition and symptoms and helps me monitor changes. Luckily, I no longer have headache since the surgery. This occasional shooting pain is new and only last for a second for two so Iā€™m not very worried was just curious. Overall I feel blessed and have adjusted to my deficits. Thank you so much for your input and the support of this site.

Jj

1 Like

Hey Jj, when was the last time you had your eyes checked? I did a quick internet search on sharp pain near temple and this is what came up. https://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/ice-pick-headaches

Hello,

Thank you so much for sharing this information. This definitely describes my headaches. I had my annual eye exam last month. The possible triggers of an ice pick headache also relate to my pain. I also occasional have ocular headaches so this makes sense. I use to have migraines but not since the surgery so my brain probably is just trying to figure things out. I did start a lot this week so again, thank you.

Jj

1 Like

Log not lot. Iā€™m now using a log. :slight_smile:

Hello JJ,

I had my surgery in 2013 and still have some unusual/ inexplicable symptoms, such as dizziness, facial pain and sinus like symptoms. At first, I had my wife drive me to the ER after a few years dealing with all these problems I know that; is impossible to know what is happening inside the brain. I was diagnosed with chronic migraines and thought that all my symptoms were due to the migraine, however, after a few years I now know that some of the symptoms are not migraine-related, I take different meds for different problems.
to answer your question, even after several years you may have unpleasant symptoms but for the most part, they are inexplicable. stay strong

Hi Ruben,

Thank you for your response. After getting feedback from this site I started a log and have discovered my ice pick headaches are being caused by a !ight that doesnā€™t have a proper shade on it. I sure appreciate having this site to share information.

Iā€™m feeling very blessed and thankful. I wish you the best!

Take care,
Jj

Good job Jj! Perhaps a pretty scarf over it like we did back in the day will help?

Hello JJ,

Iā€™m glad to know that you are doing better. you just have to learn your body and understand what is happening. As one doctor told me few years ago " what can I do for you?" I did not know what to think, I went to see the doctor because I had a problem and he is asking me what to do?. after a small conversation he told me that; we had to learn how own body reacts to some medicines or situations so we can better manage our ā€œproblemsā€
stay strong and good luck to you!!

Ruben

2 Likes

Hello Friends,
I usually scroll through here but do not comment too oftenā€¦I am relieved to see that I am not the only one who is still having issues 5 years out. I am at the point where I have just accepted that the chronic migraines, odd numbness, and vision issues are the ā€œscarsā€ that I am left with. Does anyone have any suggestions or have tried anything new for the migraines? My neurologist has told me that I am out of options until something new comes along. I usually try to just deal but have had several migraine cycles lasting several days throughout the month. Scans are good but it seems all to familiar to the beginning of my journey hereā€¦
Thank you!

I check in every so often and scroll too - no youā€™re not alone. Iā€™m two years out and still get weird stabbing head pains in varying places along with the odd numbness and vision issues. Nothing new - my neurologist just keeps increasing my topamax so far which has decreased the head pains a bit. He keeps a close eye on me but hey weā€™re all lucky to be here. :slight_smile:

If you scroll and read, you know Iā€™m a huge advocate of hydration. Not sure what youā€™ve tried for your migraines, mine tried several different medications, all for seizures which my body did not like at all. He then put me on magnesium oxide believing Americans donā€™t get enough in their diet. The first SPG block did wonders and I was an instant advocate, the second one I had after my migraines started and stayed with me a week. It hurt like the dickens and I donā€™t advocate pain. My neurosurgeon was pleased I wouldnā€™t have another. I think Iā€™ve had one or two since I stopped my beta blocker. My neurosurgeon was flabbergasted her staff had not told her the cardiologist had put me back on it. She wouldā€™ve stopped it as the neck of my aneurysm wasnā€™t closing. I really hope itā€™s closed when I see her towards the end of this year.

Thank you I just had a coiling and stent put in my brain on Tuesday and yes am feeling all kinds of weird feelings. woke up with a dull head ache and am very sensitive to any pain, twitch or feeling in or on my head.
As I got closer to my surgery date, knowing the location of the aneurysm had me focusing on that side of my head.
I was told in the hospital that the headaches would get better. I also have bad sore throat and teeth ache from the anesthesia. Thatā€™s getting better but still have a very hoarse voice.
I was very woozy from the anesthesia and other intravenous medicines. Not sure if itā€™s the humidity affecting me, too.
One of the nurses said that my brain has to get used to not having the aneurysm. Which kind of makes sense but is it factual?
I am still amazed that I had this surgery and the way it was done. Thank you.

Hello May, and welcome to the BAFSupport forum. Weā€™re glad you found us and even happier that you have cleared the big hurdle without too many terrible after effects. Recovery from any surgery takes time and adjustment. Be patient, hang in there, and hang out with us here.

All the best to you from all of us

Seenie from ModSupport

If definitely takes a little time to overcome the surgery but glad you are on this site. It has been very helpful for me. It seems everyone has simi!at but different experiences that we can learn from. Iā€™m fortunate that I no longer have typical migraines but have Ocular migranes, which only last a few minutes occasionally.

Hang in there and use your experiences as encouraged yourself and others. May God continue to bless you.

Jj

1 Like