New Survivor

Hi Jody, So sorry you have had to go through this . As all of us in the family know, it is the most terrifying experience and the fear remains long after the release from hospital. This is the first time I have replied to anyone on this page as I still get teary talking about my experience and it was in 1988. Don’t let that scare you, it doesn’t mean that will happen to you, it’s that I guess my emotions were effected by my aneurysm.

I had a major bleed from an SAH. Like you, it was such a shock, no signs that I recognized until way after the fact. Looking back, I had cravings for Mars bars, of all things…I never eat those…I ate several that week. When I couldn’t get hold of one pretty quickly I got a migraine. When the rupture happened,at home,my husband called for an ambulance. I was taken to our local hospital where I had a CAT scan. The news was given to my husband, son and daughter…a massive bleed… Prepare for the worst as survival would be a miracle. I was taken to a larger centre, almost two hours away, where the facilities were more able to handle my situation. No one thought I would survive but I did! I am now 67 and in great health. I do get migraines on occasion but that’s ok. I just wanted to let you know that I had headaches too, sharp,and painful sometimes like an electric shock at the site of the rupture. Eventually they occurred less and were less painful…I would call them a “Zap”. It did take a longtime to learn to overcome the fear of it happening again when the headaches came, but each time one came and went it became easier. I do wish you well with your recovery and hope this helps just a little.

SURVIVOR is the key word here - God Bless you for pulling through and having all your faculties intact - many are not as lucky as we are! Yes we have to deal with new lives which have been altered by this incredible illness but these things are a small price we pay. Carry on getting well and we are here to cheer you on your way!

Welcome, Jody! I had my clip 15 years ago on 09/17/99. It ruptured while I was driving on the expressway. And I'm doing fine! Since then, I've traveled and even started taking dancing lessons! I spent 12 years as a tech writer at a major high-tech company and am now working as a program manager for a tech publishing company. So, life goes on!

Good job with the hard work that led to your recovery!! My kids were 5,3.5,&2 when I had my SAH. I have weird headaches. I call them my amusement park rides that aren’t amusing :slight_smile: I’m told by one neurologist they aren’t seizures because I can close my eyes during one. I don’t believe this because I have a friend with them and have observed them for years in the kids with special needs kids I work with. I’m told by friends and family that’s what it looks like too. I was tested for seizure activity too. And yes there is activity. So short story long :wink: is I have what I call micro siezures. They feel like a weird tightening feeling accompanied with a spinning type feeling. Exactly what it feels like when you step off an amusement park ride and feel like you’re still on it. They stop happening when I’m taking good care of myself. Sooooo moral of the story is… rest & don’t do too much because they didn’t start until a year after I went back to work full time.
Your best day now is the activity level ( maybe a llittle more) you should stick with. Forever. Period. Push it a little more for a day or two, once a month, but that’s it. We can’t do what we used to. As my daughter who is now 19 says "naps are awesome!"
Good luck and wishes for continued healing! Marianne

Aloha! My name is Theresa and I had an aneurysm on Christmas day in 2008. For me I suffered,migraine headaches for years prior to the rupture and after it I no longer have problems with migraines. Initially I did have headaches but that resolved itself over time. Right now I am struggling with recovering from the after effects of a car accident where someone unexpectedly drove head on into me,but I didn't have enough time to get out of her way. Still no problems with headaches!

Aloha again Jody! I haven't been on this site for a while so it is refreshing to be back! It feels good to read the posts. My latest theme is not focusing on recovery but actually riscovery..recovering what skills you had before,for me was walking, then discovering what new things your brain and you can do!

Congratulations and stay blessed. I hope you feel better soon.

Jacqueline

Hi Jody-- i am sorta new to this site but had basically the same thing happen to me so I can relate to what you are dealing with. I want to welcome you to baf and I think you will find some helpful things. I did send a friend request to you..My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hi Jody, welcome to the site and to so many of us that have also survived such a life changing experience. You may well find that life throws challenges at you now, as it has done for many of us, but celebrate your wins as they are greater - being able to still hug my boys and very supportive husband and see the blue sky way overrides the daily challenges that I struggle with every day (for me 3.5 years on). I’m so glad that you are on your way to making a good recovery. Well done, stay positive and keep hugging those babies! With best wishes, Kim x

Hi Jody - Im a new survivor too. Mine was 11 weeks ago. I had 4 bleeds and have had coils put in. I was in hospital for 3 weeks but I can only remember bits and pieces. I have the headaches every day also. Some days worse than others and the head gets fuzzy. I also have a hot spot on my head when I have the headaches bad. I get tired very easily and when I am tired my speech slows and I loose words. I also get very emotional and start crying. I have weakness in left side - hand and leg. My kids are grown up but still live at home so they have been amazing. My short term memory is like swiss cheese - big holes lol but Im here and getting a bit better every day

Hello Jody, Glad to hear that you survived. I am an 11 year survivor, Oct. 6, 2003. I have a shunt and two clips. I was operated on the same day. Was told that I had blood on the brain. I spent 2 months in the hospital. one month at Loma Linda hospital of which I remember nothing. Had to be put into an induced coma because of the shunt I think. The last month I spent in a rehab hospital, having many different kinds of therapies. Had to learn to walk, talk and feed myself again. The whole ordeal was a strange experience. People say I should write a book. The problem is I was told my short term memory is not real good. Was told I propably would always have trouble with that. It's true, I just deal with it. In the begining I would always ask if I really did that or say that. My short term is lousy. My doctor told me the by all rights I should'nt be here but I had someone higher up watching over me. Most people that meet me today and find out that I suffered an aneurysm say they would have never known. I tell them if you talk to me long enough you'll figure it out. Before i was a brick short now I am two. I am truly blessed. I know I can't or don't do some of the things I did before but I am truely grateful and blessed for the love support of my family. It really makes you rearrange you're priorities. I don't fuss if the bed is'nt made or the laundry actully many things. Tomorrow is another day. So glad to be here to see it all even if I don't like it. Thank you for listening to me ramble on, I also seem to do alot of that.

Bless you Jody! You are amazing to be online, talking and making sense! Sounds like your recovery will go really well! Most folks are still foggy for awhile. I think the headaches can be typical, but hopefully they will not last as long as you think. Take good care and keep up the great work! Welcome! Best, Shana

Best of luck, Jody....sounds as though you have much to motivate you to push through those headaches..Keep hugging those kids (and hubby)!

Very well put Yolanda... couldn't agree more. ;-)

I am so deeply happy your two boys have you to hold and love. What a scarey horrifying betrayal from your body. Hang in there Jody and thanks to God for your survival and ongoing recovery. These stories bring me tears of gratitude. My 3 year anniversary is coming up in a few weeks.

Welcome to our group. You will find that this site is great. We all have one thing in common and that is Aneurysm! It may be one that has ruptured or not. We listen and try to help. I am two years and nine months out from my Pipeline implant. I still love my afternoon naps. They seem to help me get through the rest of my day. Healing of the brain does take a long time but it does heal.

Marjorie

Our stories are a bit more similar. My 7 year old was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago and it’s been a nightmare ever since. Just when we think we have his meds figured out, it’s been suggested by the school we have him tested for Autism. That probably won’t occur until March. Oi I try not to stress, but it’s really really hard!

Thank you for sharing Julie. My 7 year old has ADHD and just when we thought we have his meds sorted, the school is suggesting we have him tested for Autism. I try not to stress, but it seems I’m always on edge waiting for a call from the school, hoping he hasn’t hurt anyone, or swore at a teacher :frowning:

Thanks for your message John. You hit it on the head when you said it’s a blessing to be a survivor, but it’s hard. It hard to wake up everyday with a headache and not knowing if they are ever going to go away. If you can for a decade, then I can!! Cheers
Jody

It's interesting that people have asked you to write a book. I did write a book, but it's about my wife's aneurysm (Mercy for Me by Arlie Rauch available on Amazon). She could not have written it, because she was unaware for more than a month. Your story likely is worthy of a book, but someone in your family would be more likely to write it. It sounds like your journey is much like my wife's. Most people wouldn't readily know that she had that experience, but sometimes someone will ask what happened, because she may be walking less smoothly than most. Her left side is slow. But we are very thankful, and she is living a full life with piano teaching, etc.