New member trying to navigate this new reality

Hello Erin,

I am sorry to hear that you have to deal with this situation. For sure it is a scary experience. I had a rupture on Nov.15/ 2018, following a headache which started early in the morning. I went to the hospital to find out what was happening and I was told that I had a ruptured aneurysm and I needed surgery. I was totally in shock, had minimum knowledge about what was happening and I didn’t know what to decide when my family members and I were asked to choose between coiling or clipping. We were told that clipping is a more permanent solution and also given my age (46) and my “good health”, doctors believed that clipping was the answer. I listened to what the doctors recommended.
All went well with the surgery which lasted about 5 hours. I stayed 11 days in hospital. Thank God for the medication and all the good care that I received, things seemed pretty okay.
I stayed home for 6 months. Went back to work and since then, things are GOOD! Listen to what your doctors say. I am sure that you will be in good hands.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Take good care of yourself!

3 Likes

Hey Carl! Happy to hear you recovered so well. Back to work in 2 months! Wow. I had a rupture, craniotomy and clipping in Feb of 2020. I had a HUGE dent on about half my skull because i was waiting for a cranioplasty for almost 6 months (it kept getting pushed back due to Covid). I had to wear a helmet to protect my brain in the meantime. But finally had the cranioplasty in June. The huge dent is gone. I do have a smaller dent in my right temple. It was not that noticeable. But i did see a plastic surgeon that used a fat graft to fill it. I had that done twice because sometimes the fat gets reabsorbed. I actually still have a small but not as noticeable dent. I will see the plastic surgeon again in May to talk about a filler option (less invasive than using a fat graft). Ultimately I’m okay with the small and not too noticeable dent…

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I am scheduled for surgery on June 16, 2022 and I praying I’ll be okay too. Your testimony is very encouraging. Thank you. Cathy Q.

1 Like

Just wanted to provide a quick update - I met with my doctor yesterday and we agreed craniotomy with clipping is the best option. I’m scheduled for surgery on May 17th. I’m glad to have finally made a decision and I feel good about it. Now let’s just get it done!

3 Likes

Thanks for the update! Get your house in order, you have time! Make sure you have easy meals that you or someone else can make. It’s always nice to come home to a clean house with little clutter as well. There’s lots of ideas on here for what to do before a procedure as you might not want to be doing them for awhile. We usually mop floors, wash the cars, yard work so I get a week off from it, bills are paid …we even had our wills updated before the third one I think it was.

Same goes for you too @cquitto! Your’s is just around the corner, don’t forget to take walk abouts and enjoy the gorgeous weather!

1 Like

@erinds1222
Best of luck to you. It’s a good thing that you have made your decision together with your doctor. @Moltroub always gives the best advice in how to prepare yourself for the surgery.
Get back to us when you have the energy.

1 Like

I am just curious- why didn’t they put the skull back on right after surgery?? I had a craniotomy and clipping 4weeks ago and they did everything that day. Btw I am feeling great just 4weeks out!! Anita

2 Likes

Well, that’s fantastic. For some patients they can be lucky enough to bounce back relatively unaffected, for others it can take a bit longer and then for some there can be ongoing issues. But ‘Feeling great 4weeks out’, long may it last.

For some patients, especially those who have had a rupture or others who have had extensive/deep
neurosurgery, swelling can be a major, life threatening issue. With the skull being a ‘sealed unit’ it doesn’t leave much room for any swelling and as increased intercranial cranial pressure can lead to coma and eventually death, sometimes they will leave the skull open to give room for the swelling. I have known of patients who have (for the want of another word) a hard plastic helmet they’ve had to wear 24/7 to protect the brain whilst the swelling reduces. Then when trauma/swelling has settled they return the skull cap to it’s original position.

Hope it helps
Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

Yes that helps a lot/ thank you

I had a very successful surgery on Tuesday. Large aneurysm clipped and I’m feeling almost no pain!

2 Likes

@erinds1222
This is very good news!
Take care :gift_heart:

1 Like

Congratulations! That is great news…God bless you and know we are here if you want to talk.

1 Like

Woo Hoo Ms. Erin! Great news indeed. Before you know it, you’ll be running circles around your young un’s and doing CrossFit!

1 Like