Need advice - Where to go for a 2nd opinion?

Also, i never actually contacted anyone stating it was a second opinion. I went to each one with my cd’s and reports (uploaded) and requested a consultation and spoke to each surgeon as if he were the first. I wanted to hear their thoughts without the influence of another opinion. I don’t think it matters as they are all professional and take these matters very seriously, but that was my approach. I didn’t just want confirmation, i wanted to consider each one of them as if it were an interview and keep my options open. I believe it worked for me. Im fully confident in the surgeon i chose. After all I’ve been through, and with him as the surgeon who got me through it, he has my complete trust. I hope you find the same.

1 Like

I went to a neurologist in the city of Victoria BC. He told me he would keep checking on the aneurysm but neglected to. That is why I had a rupture. If he would have checked up something could have been done. My lesson is always get a send opinion if you are not sure. I live in Canada, but I can tell you that Dr. Haw at Vancouver General is awesome!

1 Like

That’s great advice. My doc is at Hopkins. Just curious. Did the opinions differ? I find that prospect so unsettling. Thank you

Yes and no. All three felt the treatment for my particular would be the same (unanimous on flow diversion). One recommended a repeat MRA in a year. The other two wanted a CT scan for improved imaging study (I believe either of these surgeons were a good choice for me). Upon learning I had a contrast allergy, the surgeon I ultimately chose wanted to dive straight into an angiogram (gold standard for viewing aneurysms) in the hopes that it would be one time exposure and if all looked good, I could go to annual MRAs. In my case, he didn’t like what he saw so surgery was scheduled within a month. His actions proved warranted and a long story follows - I’ll spare you the details.

Please do not let that scare you. I believe I read you have a 3mm aneurysm. I recall Johns Hopkins telling me they tend to recommend repairs at around 4.2mm and up, so watch and wait is likely consistent with that mindset. Mine appeared 4.9mm on an MRA, was 6.1mm on the angiogram, and he saw that the artery was clearly diseased. This was my unique situation. MANY people are able to watch and wait. Just make sure that if that is your choice of actions, you keep on schedule. And most importantly, talk to several surgeons and ask as many questions of them, and us, as you want.

1 Like

That’s very helpful info.
I had a brain Angiogram on 9/23/22. After that I was told I could wait and watch… I broke out in terrible hives a few days later. They don’t think it was the contrast, but I know it was. I then went for allergy testing to rule out food and environment, all negative, so I’m going with contract allergy. CT contrast is iodinated. I don’t have any problem with the MRI/MRA contrast.

Thank you again.

1 Like

Glad you had the angiogram. As far as I know, that’s the best protocol for a truly informed opinion, so your surgeon has been thorough. That’s always a great comfort. Best of luck.

Thanks!!