My story

November 10th 2012

That day was supposed to be somewhat of a late birthday present for me. My daughter, son-in-law and granddaughters were coming home to visit. I hadn’t seen them in a while and I was looking forward to making a really big pot of gumbo followed by wine and desserts all while kissing up “Yanni and Lina” cheeks.

I was excited, and I was in the process of getting ready to go to the store to get the ingredients for the gumbo. When I looked at myself in the mirror I was happy with what I saw. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and that day I decided to dress in the royal oranges, reds and violets of the season. I was especially proud because I slimmed down enough to wear a mini skirt and knee socks for the first time in my life.

I had on my favorite Backyard Band song and was dancing in my hall mirror when all of a sudden, I felt this crushing pain in the back of my head. The only way I could describe it was it felt like how I assumed it would feel if someone hit me in the back of my head with a two-by-four or baseball bat. I knew something was wrong when I could no longer hear the music I was dancing to and the back of my head felt like Satan was gnawing on it like a jawbreaker.

I remember between my son and I phone calls were made, and then I was being driven to the emergency room. I remember being in so much pain that I couldn’t walk, so I was put in a wheelchair; but I still had the where with all to feel embarrassed about going to the ER for a “headache” even if it was a really bad one.

As I was explaining my symptoms to the intake nurse, I remember the embarrassment overwhelming me as tears of pain flooded my eyes. Then, without warning, I vomited on the nurse and emptied my bladder in the wheelchair.

I remember hearing the intercom system almost shout “Stroke Alert-Stroke Alert-Emergency” and then my whole world went dark.

And honestly, that is all I could remember for a long time.

I remember upon regaining consciousness, I was told I had suffered a brain aneurysm rupture.

I have been “recovering” ever since.

Michele,

Welcome and prayers for a continued recovery...

You were really blessed to have yet been at home; not on your way to the store...

When you have time, please tell us more of your hospital time, if you were able to return to home, etc...and, if you have had time to et that gumbo on its way...

Again, prayers for your continued recovery...

Pat

Hi Michele,

Welcome to the group and my prayers are with you. You are so lucky you were still at home and not driving when it happened. Hope you have a fast and non eventfully recovery..

VJ

My prayers go out to you for your continued recovery!!!

Hi Pat I was in the hospital for 20 days…I am home now on LTD and I probably will never want gumbo again…lol

Maybe in time

Thank you vj and Lucy

Michele...you jogged my humor...the gumbo may be your next step forward...

Were you in any Rehab?

So many of us state over and over: "I wanna be 'me'..." and we cannot find that person!

And, I could not tell you why I bought those asparagus...I still occasionally forget the apples or raspberries in the refrigerator...

What is LTD?

Hugs and prayers for your continued recovery...

Pat

You are still early in the recovery journey...it takes time to know what your new normal will be ...

Wishes to you for continued healing ~ Colleen

Thank you Colleen; I’ll be more patient

Hi Michele, glad your now home & doing well. Your story is very similar to mine, although I didn’t loose conscious, i too was at home getting ready to pop out (January) Did u have your aneurysm clipped or coiled? I had the coiling procedure & was home after 8 days. My follow up appointment isn’t until August though :frowning: how long did you have to wait for a follow up? xxx

Welcome! Did you have a clip or coil?? I had my clipping on 12-6-12. Everyone on this site is very helpful and friendly. Sorry you had to go through something like this to find these nice people!

Debbie