My story: This is going to be quite a journey, I can already tell!

Thanks for starting a new topic George! It does seem your family is on quite a medical journey. It sure is a lot to understand but let me try to clarify some things…

Sizing aneurysms is pretty complex, though it shouldn’t be and it depends on neck ratio as well. A lot of people used to quote the ISUIA here but for me personally I believed it to be incorrect as I ruptured with a 5mm aneurysm at the age of 53. The ISAT more closely resembled what I had experienced, Here’s a paper that explains the confounding size issue Definitions of intracranial aneurysm size and morphology: A call for standardization - PMC.

Coiling is an endovascular treatment and is considered minimally invasive as compared to a craniotomy. For coiling they go through the groin or radial artery and up to the brain, for a craniotomy which is invasive, they remove part of the skull and access the aneurysm through the brain. The ICA is the Internal Carotid Artery of which there are two, left and right. The ECA is the External Carotid Artery of which we also have two, left and right. The ECAs come from the Carotid Artery of which we have two, left and right.

I had to look up life expectancy in S. Korea and found this South Korea: life expectancy at birth by gender 1950-2100 | Statista. I would imagine it to be dependent on how long she has lived in the States and medical care as well as her medical history though as that could make it change a bit. Surprisingly, this is what the CDC says https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/life-expectancy.htm. I know we also have to look at the ages of our parents and grandparents as a general guide to how long we might live. In my family tree, if we make it past 50, it’s our 80’s to 90’s with the odd ones living to 100 or a a bit over.

Is your Aunt back in the States yet or does she plan on staying in her mother country? I’m unsure if coiling is safe for someone with a lot of health issues as I’m not a doctor. It certainly needs to be considered as you are doing I believe. The risks of coiling is compaction, hemorrhaging, and the anesthesia as well as any reaction to the dye. For me, my neurosurgeon said I wouldn’t have to worry about any more when I teased her about me being 80 and she would still be shoving more coils in on my third coiling.

1 Like