My Son

Thanks for the warm welcome. This is my story. I lost my 16 year old son (Jacob Lynn Spain) to a brain aneurysm on May 20th 2012. We had to this point no family history of aneurysms. He started having mild headaches and we thought it was allergies. They started to get more intense as time went on. I took him to the doctor on May 17th for a full physical and told the doctor about the headaches and ask for a MRI. The Doctor wanted to do blood work first. He thought it was allergies. I ask him again for the MRI and he said trust me we need to start with blood work. What a mistake a made. When they called with his blood work report we were planning his funeral. The picture for my profile was taken about 30 minutes before his rupture. It took us all by surprise.

Garry,

My heart aches for you and your family....and considering your push for a clearer explanation on his headaches with such a blase' response from the doctor--wow....

Garry I don't know if you have other kids or not, but if you do I hope you find a responsible doctor who will order up a complete scan (MRA or the' Gold Standard' Angiogram with contrast dye) to ensure no one else is afflicted with this disease....Many times aneurysms are or can be genetic, so it may be a good idea to get you and your wife screened as well. I can't imagine the pain you've endured thru all this..

Peace to you and your family,

Janet

Thanks Janet. Yes myself, my wife and other son have been checked with nothing found. We have plans on making sure that our other son has a scan every other year.

I'm speechless! I'm so sorry you lost your precious son (love the picture). My aneurysm ruptured this past January and I'm scared to death for my kids! I hope the doc that delayed MRI knows of the consequences. I wish you and your family continued healing!

I am so very sorry for your loss. One of my biggest fears now is my children having to deal with an aneurysm.

Terri

He does but I can’t blame him but so much. I could have taken him to the hospital but nobody knew what was going on.

I pray that both you and Sandy family will be ok along with your selves.

Tears in my eyes...I am so sorry for your loss...Gosh 16 years old ... please know this is not your fault...we at BAF and us survivors are trying to educate as many as we can to the signs and symptoms that even today are overlooked...I was misdiagnosed twice in 10 days in ER...until one Doctor said...this lady needs and MRA...by telling Jacob's story you are educating others and giving awareness to Brain aneurysm's...My heart goes out to you and your family...~ God Bless ~ Colleen

I am so sorry for the loss of your son. My heart aches for you; no parent should ever have to plan a funeral for their child. Thank you for your strength to share your story and bring awareness to this very important subject. I truly think that aneurysms just aren’t anywhere “on the radar” for most doctors. While I know aneurysms are rare and medical tests are expensive, I believe doctors need to be more aware and proactive. My mom suffered a rupture in October 2013. Thankfully she survived. She had symptoms for a week leading up to the rupture. She went to the dr the day prior to the rupture and the doctor didn’t catch it. When she had her rupture she collapsed at work and hit her head. For the first 12 hours at the hospital she went undiagnosed as they thought her problems were all a result of falling and hitting her head. Thankfully upon a second ct scan a thorough radiologist discovered the aneurysm and my mom was life flighted to another hospital for treatment. Sometimes I have guilt for not speaking up more, for not advocating more. I knew something wasn’t right. We told the doctors all of the information, all of her weird symptoms she’d been having that week. But they all dismissed them. In my gut I knew something else was wrong, but I trusted the doctors. I don’t blame them. I know it was rare that she had this aneurysm. But I just hope that doctors will become more aware of how real and how possible it is that his/her patient could have an aneurysm. By sharing Jacobs story you are bringing awareness and light to this problem. By telling Jacobs story and getting the word out, you will help save others. I’m just so sorry that your son didn’t survive. I will be praying for your entire family. Just curious…what type of test did you and your wife and other son have? My moms neurologist has suggested that I be tested and he recommends a cta scan. What test did you do? Many blessings to you and your family.

It was a MRI with contrast. Thanks for the nice words.

Thanks it has been hard to accept but I have to believe that it was Gods plan.

Hi Garry,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. So very young. As a parent I can imagine your pain. My scans were misread 4 times at 3 different Hospitals. I think consultants/doctors have a lot to learn regarding aneurysms.

Eve x

I agree

Thank you so much for the kind words. I pray that all will turn out good for your family.

My condolences on your loss. Thank you for allowing your tragedy to potentially be someone else’s blessing by sharing your experience. And while I know that nothing anyone can say will ease the pain of losing a child, all I can think is that Jacob must’ve been such a happy and fortunate young man, because even in his pain, he had reason to smile. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much. Don't take a day with him for granted.

Rich7469 said:

Hi Garry that is a real tragedy. I feel very much for you.
I have a 17 year old son and cannot imagine the pain you have been through.

He was a very Happy Boy and I am very proud of him. My wife and I now teach grief share classes and that helps us as much as the participants. Thanks

MarylandBell said:

My condolences on your loss. Thank you for allowing your tragedy to potentially be someone else's blessing by sharing your experience. And while I know that nothing anyone can say will ease the pain of losing a child, all I can think is that Jacob must've been such a happy and fortunate young man, because even in his pain, he had reason to smile. :-)

Thank you for telling your story. It’s very giving of you to share and so heartbreaking to read. I believe your son’s story will be a turning point for someone and out of your sadness some good will come.