My sisters story and help

Yes memory loss is common. When I had my enuryism and was in icu 21 days in St. Louis,Mo I was then transported to Il for rehab. I didn’t remember moving there and thought I was still in St. Louis. I was also told that a close family friend died while I was at the hospital but everyday I asked why he didn’t come see me. I forgot that he died. I knew the year but had to remember what day it was. I would wake up and ask what day it was because I couldn’t remember. It took awhile to get better.

How long was she in the hospital total? My mom was in the ICU (intensive care unit in USA) for 21 days. There is such thing as ICU Delirium, where the blinking and buzzing and waking every 2 hours just finally gets you delirious from your injury plus absolute lack of quality sleep. The nurses pooh poohed me about it when I asked, but I know she had that as she had many of the same things happen as above. I would say it was fully over about 5 weeks after she was out. She is 100% normal now 2.5 years later.

It took me 4 years to get back 100 percent.

Hi,

Sorry to hear what your sister and family are going through. My recovery was a little similar, I still have moments where I have lapses in my short term memory and I am 3 years out from my coiling and 2 1/2 years out from a follow up craniotomy. the best advice I can give is quite simple, a strong support system of friends and family are key. I had that and they would bring me back to reality if I was drifting. THe key to remember is that we aneurysm survivors all have what is called a "New Normal" this may be her way of feeling out her new normal. Patience and perseverance with be your best friend.

Good Luck

You've had plenty of helpful commentary. I'll simply say that I went through an aneurysm myself and can say that it's a battle. I'm praying for you and your entire family, and it seems like a full recovery is in your future!!

Yes-I came out of surgery not recognizing my husband, kids or anyone that knew me well..It scared my husband to the point that he demanded the brain surgeon to as he put it--MY WIFE NEEDS MORE SURGERY TO BRING HER BACK...Thank God, the second surgery worked..

I had 3 brain aneurysms at the same time and if it wasn't for my husbands quick reactions of laying me on my kitchen floor, surrounding my neck and head with ice cubes and calling 911 who brought me to an

angel that was sent from heaven the BEST Brain Surgeon On Earth..Dr. Alan Apply (director of the Gama knife) who moved from Orlando, FL to Louisianna since 1995 when I had my stroke and he saved my life.

I was blind from the blood that laid behind my eye socket, but a wonderful eye doctor Elliot Cooperman

gave me back my eyesite.

Five months later after physical, occupational and speech therapy-I returned to long term job at Triple A

headquarters and since then coached my daughter in given birth to my now 15 yr old only grandson, I enjoyed over 48 yrs with my hubby-have both my adult son & daughter living close by and enjoy my retirement to the fullest..By the way, while I was unconscience, I also had a near death experience that

proved there is a Heaven..so some good came of it....LOL! Good Luck to you all on this website.

Pat See from Sanford,FL

My aneurysm happened ( 16 years ago this Thursday ) on the right side of my brain as well . this is where the short term memory is . I still have issues with it . as for living in the past my therapist told me that people that have an aneurysm tend to go back to a point in their life where they were the happiest . for me my ex wife said I’m just like I was when I was 18 and was told I’ll be stuck there . for the most part I’m normal but it takes some time . so give her time everyone heals differently . the brain is an impressive organ it’s ability to heal and adapt is great . she’ll come around in due time . it took me about 3 years to get to where I’m at .

Love and support her. My anuerysm burst in my brain on Thanksgiving Day 2009 and am still searching for my mew normal. Pray! I will keep you in my prayers. I now have 2 granddaughters! God Bless you! Dano

hi andy, all of this sounds very common. I was babbling nonsense, hallucinating, having crazy dreams for the first few weeks after my rupture and sah. I didnt really understand what was going on and mostly I dont remember it. My husband felt as though I was gone mentally, I wasnt me anymore. right now your sisters brain is just not functioning properly. It wasnt until they managed to get the blood cleared out from around my brain that I finally became lucid. later, the doctors were amazed at how well I came through it. I was lucky that I was in a special neuro ward and the nurses could see the subtle signs of vasospasm so I had to go in repeatedly to have the arteries opened back up because they kept shutting down and restricting the blood supply to my brain. I had a great team of doctors who deal with this all the time. 6 months later and I still have trouble with strength in my legs and balance but working with a physio and ot will help when she gets out of hospital to regain things like memory etc. I wish your sister all the best. It's a scary time right now but the brain is incredibly resilient as many people here are proof of.

Dear Andy, First let me say that you have been through an awful lot!! Many of the questions you have should be addressed to your sister's Health Care Providers. They still may not have all the answers and which will take you down the road of rehabilitation. When that time comes you will have a better idea of how much residual brain damage there is. None of us are practicing in this area of medicine. We are online to have support as we have all had brain aneurysms and even though every case is different and the treatment can vary from one to another doctor; it is best for you to write down all the questions and have a meeting with her health care team. The one thing I have noticed in my short 7 months on this website is the miraculous recovery people make. Patience, make an appt with the doctor to ask your questions. It is okay to be a little assertive to get their attention. I wish you all the best. Christine

Hi Andy, I had a ruptured aneurysm this time last year. The first 3 weeks I have no memory of at all, I have broken memory of my first week in rehab. Your sister might not “be back yet”, just be patient and give it a little time, it’s brilliant that she made it, well done. I hope all continues to go well for her.
Cheers Kayt

Hi Andy, I am so sorry your sister has had to go through this. Every case is different. I suffered a ruptured aneurysm in 1970 at age 16 whilst studying for my A levels (yes, I am that old!!!!). I don't remember it happening, nor the near 18 months I spent in and out of hospital as I had any number of complications that occurred. (There have been major advances in treatment since then). I have been told that I,too, was very confused with a certain degree of memory loss and aggressive behaviour, and my parents were told that this was normal after a cerebral haemorrhage. It took a while for my memory to come back apparently, however, my short term memory is still poor to this day. I really hope your sister's condition continues to improve and that she enjoys her baby. She certainly deserves to!! Best wishes to you all.

Andy your sisters story is similar to mine. I have no memory of my ruptured aneurysm or the first three weeks in hospital in the intensive care unit. I too got pneumonia while there and had to be intubated twice. I do remember that I thought I was at a party in another town and couldn’t figure out who the other people were. Had a tube in my head to drain the extra fluid that was accumulating from the bleeding and had slight swelling of my brain. The bleeding irritates your brain. Once I had the endovascular coiling done and the fluid was allowed to drain I started on the road to recovery. Then was sent to a rehab hospital when I stabilized and no longer needed the intensive care. I was there for another three weeks but was fortunate that was considered quick. It’s now six months since it all happened and still recovering but that initial confusion is gone. Short term memory issues still linger. Have had additional rehab at home and that has helped a lot. As others have said each person is different in their healing and you’ve come to a good site for plenty of info. I’ll keep you and your sister in my thoughts for her recovery.

Hi- My sister was in the exact same situation. She doesn’t remember a thing(happened 8 years ago). She still has some short term memory problems, but everything else healed, although very slowly. I know she had a lot of anger at first because she couldn’t remember anything, but I think it is better not to remember that experience. Today we even laugh about all the crazy things she said in the hospital. She went on to have a beautiful baby boy the very next year. My advice is to be patient, it takes a long time for this to heal.

I am sorry to hear about your sister, the confusion and le lost or balance are due to the hemorrhage , I had the same and suffer from hydrocephalus. Once they put a VP shunt I was really better. Recovery takes time and efforts but really now after two years I feel I can still progress but I have got my life back.
Be strong and wishing your sister a nice recovery.

I am sorry to hear about your sister, the confusion and le lost or balance are due to the hemorrhage , I had the same and suffer from hydrocephalus. Once they put a VP shunt I was really better. Recovery takes time and efforts but really now after two years I feel I can still progress but I have got my life back.
Be strong and wishing your sister a nice recovery.

Hi there, I was 33 when mine happen, I was on my own and ironing at the time, when mine happened I felt like I was saying all the right things and was normal but having discussed with my mother, I was speaking utter rubbish lol, I suffered a mild stroke to the left side, I had a bleed and I too had an operation through my groin, cooling, I was in hospital for 17 days, things got better all the time, I did become agitated, cross and very frustrated in my recovery, I didn’t seem to have control over my emotions, it was explained to me that the bleed it’s self would dry up if you like, I suffered the same side effects but I can say now four years on I’m fine, I live a normal life, as a single parent of two beautiful girls. Yes it was tough, I questioned why me, then then feeling of OMG I nearly died set in, my friends and family were very supportive, never took it personally when I was out of sorts if you like. I did have to give up my job could I just couldn’t mentally do the job anymore, I forgot things. I did get back to work but done so etching that I was capable at. I feel for you, it’s very frightening for you aswell. I do suffer with migraines but with lots of support she will be fine. The fact she is here still, shows she is a fighter. Each persons recovery is different and it has changed me as a person in some ways, I get tired, I get frustrated sometimes, it sounds like she has a lot of support which is vital. It hasn’t stopped me physically, I still swim, I still go do all the mummy things that is required of me and more. I hope this helps. It’s all positive, she is through the worse part.

Thanks everyone for your support and concerns. It’s much appreciated. I didn’t realize I’d get so much response. I hope when this is all over, I can help people like me who feel they have nowhere to go and talk about it. Thanks

I agree with all the other comments I had a Ruptured PICA Aneurysm a little over 4 months ago, and I am still in therapy and still have lots to improve, But I AM ALIVE, Thankfully. I have to ask my husband and friends about the details because I DONT remember Anything up until about the last couple days of being in the hospital, and that is Vague, I was on Life Support for 3+weeks, total hospital stay was 2 months, I also got Pneumonia, Bacterial meningitis, and Hydrocephalus.I now have a VP Shunt for life, But now I can walk, talk, However get very Tired Very easy, Lose my words easy and quickly, Balance is not good, and Depth perception is terrible Please just be there for your sister her partner and the baby, That family and friend support is the one thing that has been the best for me, it means so much. God Bless and Good Luck

Hi Andy

I was in ICU for about 10 days (so my hubby tells me). When moved to another ward, I thought I was home, in my bedroom, and really wondered how they got so many people in beds in my bedroom. So confusing. I also could not understand day from night. Wondered why family would visit me in the night??? It wasn’t night at all. My son told me that I was very agitated when the nurses tried to wake me. Constantly moving. So Andy as you read notes from others on this site you will find everyone experienced different things. We have had some things in common too. This support site is a godsend! Your sister is a miracle and is blessed to have you Andy! Its been 7 mos since my subarachnoid aneurysm. I have 14 coils and a stent. Doing well but as with others my short term memory is “off”. Lucy is lucky to have you! Oops, I see I said that already!