MRI after multiple aneurysm clipping & insomnia

Hello,

I am a new member here. I have had my brain aneurysm clipping surgery almost a year ago this month, and am soon scheduled for my first MRI-MRA. I had 5 unruptured aneurysms clipped; therefore I have 6 clips in my brain. The MRI makes me a little nervous for a few reasons: I suffer from insomnia since surgery. I have ringing in the ear, and am sensitive to noise. These symptoms came mainly from surgery. I suspect the MRI (s) will make my symptoms worse. Since my brain aneurysm surgery, my central nervous system seems "wired". (I guess it is in some way.) I cannot seem to be able to "shut down" or fall asleep. I need a small dose of benzo to put me to sleep, and some supplements. I would like to hear from those who have had multiple aneurysms clipped, who suffer from insomnia, and sensitivity to noise, and have gone through an MRI-MRA. I would like to hear how you felt during and after the MRI. I hope to hear from someone. In the mean time, God bless you all & Thank you!

I wear earplugs during an MRI-I also take a Xanax which helps calm me down.

I also have ringing in the ears. Sometimes I can’t sleep then the 3rd day I sleep for 12 hours . Weird I thought so till on this site.

The issue with the noise can be handled if you are honest with the techs and let them know it's driving you nuts. They can add earplugs or ear cushions to muffle it more. The only problem I had afterward was drinking enough water to flush out the dye. I didn't experience any more insomnia or ringing than prior to the MRI/MRA. The whole experience was quite peaceful except for the noise which, as I said, can be managed. The sensation of the "rush" when the dye is injected can catch you off guard with the feeling of warmth passing through your body and the feeling that you are about to wet your pants. if nobody has told you about this, YOU DO NOT WET YOUR PANTS. It only feels that way. :) It's what the dye does to the kidneys as it passes through. You will be fine. Just don't worry about it. Ask those questions to the techs before the procedure. They will reassure you.

I have had a bad experience having both procedures and now I choose to have light sedation for the procedures. If you feel that is what you need d

ont be afraid to talk to the doctor about it.

Dodie I had to laugh when I read your reply because I had an MRI with dye 2 weeks ago and I didn't know about the warm feeling, and did think I was wetting my pants!!!!! I agree, it wasn't a big deal. I didn't think it was noisy at all. Just keep breathing Nina, you'll be fine.

I can only tell you of my experience. I had two large aneurisms coiled. I was lucky to discover them before they burst. I had my first MRA in November seven months after the two procedures. I was terrified and didn't sleep a wink the night before. It was not bad at all. Yeah, it is noisy but maybe you could put ear plugs in, I would ask them. The hardest part was keeping absolutely still. I have to have another one in May and will not be nearly as nervous about it. I have insomnia problems too but not nearly as bad as you do and the MRA didn't make it worse. I started taking Melatonin and it helped me immensely. I will take no prescription drugs to sleep, I take enough of those for high blood pressure. Don't be frightened of the MRI/MRA, you will be pleasantly surprised. Muriel Steven

I always felt uneasy having MRIs but on my last one I suffered a panick attack. Apparently claustrophobia got the better of me. That’s me though, I know people that nearly fall sleep during MRIs. I too experience ringing in the ears, noise sensitivity, but they’re unrelated to MRIs, at least that’s what I thought.

Why would you frighten someone who was already scared? Too many doom and gloom people on here. I had an MRA checkup for my two coiled aneurisms and it was nothing. Better to give encouragement, not more fright. Muriel Steven

It wasn't meant to frighten-please. People are just relating their experiences. Some are good some are not.............

Muriel Steven said:

Why would you frighten someone who was already scared? Too many doom and gloom people on here. I had an MRA checkup for my two coiled aneurisms and it was nothing. Better to give encouragement, not more fright. Muriel Steven

I had my Mir scan 2 weeks ago , as was coiled in September as my Annie ruptured, I was worrying but when went I was worrying for nothing it’s fine yea abit loud sounds like someone banging and blowing down a Mirco phone , and start rapping , so don’t b scared it’s fine , take care

I only had 4 clippings am 3 yrs out come this april 19 I still cannot sleep unless I have something

to help I take the supplemental vitamins melotonin and it really helps the perscription drugs

zones me out so much noise I cannot handle or a vibration of any kind it brings on a siezure

have not taken MRI scared of the noise had the MRA it was only hooking up wires.

The noise is there but to my ears it is not too high in volume and does not bother me. The thing that I find to be a slight bother is having to lie still and keep my head immobile for around 35 to 45 minutes. I get kind of squirmy and want to move. That can be handled by concentrating on what I am suppposed to be doing (keep still!). Overall, the MRI/MRA is not anything to fear or dread and is really not very bothersome. Go ahead and have it done. You will be amazed at how easy it is to do.

Hi Nina,

I agree with all who advised you to be open and honest with the techs and don't be afraid to ask for the help you need. In my case I found it difficult with all the changes that happened to me so fast exactly which "new" things that were happening to me were caused by my surgery, a long hospital stay, just the shock of going through what needed to happen to fix things etc. In the first year after my surgery I was terrified of so many things. Just going to the doctor was a challenge emotionally. The dentist? forget it. And then within that first year I had to have another surgery and thought I would tremble out of my boots with fear. The things that helped me most was just being up front with EVERYONE from the nursing staff to the techs. Tell them how your feeling. They all want you to be as comfortable as possible and as your not the first nervous, scared, frightened, claustrophobic patient they have had I bet you would be surprised at the arsenal of ways they have to help you out. But they cannot help if they are unaware. The idea of using a a mild drug to get through is valid and you should discuss it with your doctor. As for myself, I find that reminding myself of just how powerful my brain annie has made me helps. The MRA is a necessary test that in my case must be done yearly. Just like any other necessary medical maintenance, for example a colonoscopy, mammo, or whatever else. It just has to be done. What I do is ask them to tell me exactly how long the test takes and I don't just use this technique for my MRA's but just about anything that frightens me. The usual answer for me is 9 minutes. Yes, this is a valid answer. The prep and clean up takes longer than the actual test even if it does not involve contrast (and you did not mention whether it is with or without contrast). That is about how long you will actually be IN the machine. I know that I can do just about ANYthing for nine minutes. I also ask the techs to give a countdown at regular intervals and use meditation and relaxation exercises. While I understand it seems like a huge and frightening event an MRI/MRA just a simple non invasive test. No different from a blood pressure reading. Think of how brave and powerful you have been to this point. You are a survivor!

To go into any procedure with positive thoughts is a heck of a lot better than with horrible, scary thoughts wouldn't you agree? I was taught when I was young that if you didn't have something positive to say, say nothing. This would certainly apply on here.

Amy Van Patten Ofenbeck said:

It wasn't meant to frighten-please. People are just relating their experiences. Some are good some are not.............

Muriel Steven said:

Betty Schoonover said:

I have had a bad experience having both procedures and now I choose to have light sedation for the procedures. If you feel that is what you need d

ont be afraid to talk to the doctor about it.

I do not to do MRIs as I was told it could move the clip on my annie.

I had Pipeline but I have the same symptoms you mentioned

Hi I take two diazepam to settle me down Before mine it does the trick, I also take my own music in and an eye mask you can get through this if you put in place some coping strategies x

An MRI should be done yearly as others have mentioned. It should not affect the clips at all as they are titanium…if they were not, none of us could have MRIs.

Darla Nitti said: