Morbid thoughts?

I will be having my 23.7mm unruptured aneurysm partly coiled in a little more than a week and I am very scared. I will be at a good hospital and have a highly respected doctor. They can only coil the top 80% because of the pica vessel running through the bottom. They will continue to watch the bottom 20%. I’m still not sure I really understand the whole thing. Anyway I was wondering if I am being too morbid…I wonder if I should write letters to my children or inform my husband of my final wishes? I’ve even thought I should pick out the clothes I want to be buried in. Am I crazy??

Dear Shannon,
You have lots reasons to be scared…BUT there are things every day that could take our life away… Your husband and family should always know your wishes, just as you should know theirs…If you have things you feel you need to say to your children SAY IT TODAY. Children always want and need to know how much their mom loves them. I do understand that for some people things like this are very hard to talk about, but if you have ever lost a close family member, you understand how difficult it is to wonder what their wishes were, and wish you had said all those things you never took the time to say… So YES do it, but not because you have a fear, but because its the right thing to do. Open up !! I will be praying that your surgery is sucessful and your lines of comunication with those you love are wide open
Alway
Karen

Shannon,we all know and especially fear that the worst is going to happen,medicine has came a long way in just the 11 years since the wifes first rupture,hers were clipped not coiled and theres always doubt in the back of everyones mind,if someone said otherwise,then they’re trying to cover it up for one reason or the other,you and your family will be in a lot of prayers.things will work out just fine…Bill

Shannon, I don’t think you’re crazy at all. I think it’s completely normal for you to be thinking this way and wanting to make sure that everything is said and your husband is aware of your wishes. I agree with what Karen said yes, your husband and family should always know your wishes because one never knows what any day will bring. In this case, you’re very afraid, you’re having serious surgery and you’re informed of the risks etc. It’s very normal for you to be going through what you are and thinking what you’re thinking. I will be doing the same thing once I know without a doubt what I’ll be facing. I’m sure that there are many many members here that have done it also. Please don’t think you’re crazy, or second guess your thoughts. If you feel writing letters and talking to your family is what you need to do, then do it. All the best and please keep us updated as you can. Tina

Hello Shannon, your thoughts are not morbid at all!!! I myself just had a conversation with my husband recently, and I am glad that we did. We just don’t know what is ahead for us, but look at all the modern technology they have today. I have been on a roller coaster since I found out about my anerurysms, I have 3. I am having two clipped in January, and will be happy to have it over with. I am sure that your Family will be happy that you did share your thoughts with them, as they are part of your life too. I have found this site very helpful for me, and I will also pray for you. Also, don’t hesitate to ask your Dr. any questions, that was important for me, and he answered them really well for me, and that helped me alot. God Bless you Shannon, and we are here for you too!!!
Sincerely, Bonita

Shannon,

I agree with the others, this is not morbid at all. There is so many things that could happen in life that we shouldn’t leave things unsaid. I’m 4 years post-op from a ruptured aneurysm. Never saw it coming. So there is definitely life after an aneurysm. But since that time, I’ve learned to have the discussions that matter with a few of my siblings that I wasn’t as close to as I should have been and I’ve made sure that my husband and kids are my priority and they know that. So, I’d take advantage of this as an opportunity to communicate anything that may be on your mind. Your relationships will allow deepen because of it.

dear sharon,your make it honey i know your afraid,yes tell them how you feel but dont lose hope you will be in my prayers linda god bless you

I would just like to share this. Upon reading all of the comments, I am, we all are, very fortunate to have this venue. Such a great group of supporting people and even though we are all at various stages in dealing with this, I don’t know what I would do without all of you right now. And I mean this.

On another note, I have been hoping to hear from Ann Anderson, she had surgery on the 12th of October. Has anyone heard from her??

God bless you all…Tina

Hi Shannon,
No your not crazy. My surgery for clipping is next Wednesday and I am sitting in the same place as you today.

Karen is right. I had the worst emotional day every last week and my thoughts were exactly the same as yours. After thinking about it I picked up the phone and called all my kids to tell what I was thinking and how I was feeling. I don’t know how old your children are but mine are adults so I wanted them to hear it right from me.
Your going to be alright. I have faith we will both be alright.
hugs
Kimberley

I don’t think you are crazy. I just went through the same situation last month (coiled 10mm unruptured aneurysm.) I think it’s good to prepare for the unknown regardless of what you are going through in life. I guess this is because I work in healthcare. I just look at things as enjoy today, prepare for tomorrow, and expect the unexpected. This is a very scary situation to be confronted by. Just remember you are a strong person, and you can get through anything. I stayed really positive, and tried not to freak myself out, and I feel this helped with my recovery. It’s going to be a rough few weeks with headaches, and such, but you’ll get through it. Before you know it, it’ll all be over. My coiling and stenting was successful, so don’t believe the hype with all the negative stories you read online. Good luck!!!

Glad to hear your surgery was a success Alicia! All the best for a continued and uneventful recovery. Tina