Minimally Concious State after the surgery

Dear All,

Happy Friday! I come to BAF for information and inspiration since my mom had a rupture aneurysm and had a clipping surgery 7 weeks ago. The surgery went well, she then had a trache and a shunt. She is currently in RCC to wean from the ventilator. She has been able to respond to simple questions by nodding/ smiling, and follow simple commands such as "squeeze my hand" when she has the energy. By researching on the internet, it seems that she is at the "minimally conscious state".

My interpretation for my mom is, breathing with her own strength probably takes a lot of energy so she can't respond much. Once she can get off from the ventilator completely, she will be able to sit on a wheel chair and walk around, and that will help stimulate her brain.

My question to my BAF frinds is, from you or your love ones who survive from an aneurysm rupture, how long does it take to have more senses/ movements/ emotions? In the meantime, is there anything else we can do to simulate her when she is in this state? (we massage and exercise her arms/ legs for her, play music and talk to her.) I know everyone's situation is different, but just want to hear about other people's stories.

Thanks so much!

Hi Emily - Sounds like Mom is heading in the right direction...slow and steady as it seems most of our recoveries are. I loved having my legs and feet massaged and enjoyed having soft music played. My husband brought me my laptop and would play me dvd's of my kids and pets. My pets were also allowed to visit me, which was awesome. On the wall across from my bed, he taped pics of my family and friends and all the get well cards I had received...it was nice to wake up in the morning and be surrounded by familiar pictures. Also, please write down small recovery progresses as your mom makes them - she can read them as she progresses and see her progress..on days when I felt defeated, I would read those and realize that I was indeed getting better. Ask the hospital if you can bring her something from home like an afghan or a blanket. My family brought me a blanket that I always used at home and just the smell of it would calm me. It truly is the little things that make all the difference.

Take Care and continued prayers for recovery...Mary

Hi Emily ,

You know, Mary is absolutely right--things from home that carry 'the scent' from home is very important . i asked my husband to bring me my favorite pillow and my own pajamas (I wasn't sure if the pajamas would fly with the hospital staff or not, but no one said a word) I guess the pajamas made me feel better about myself ( and ofcourse having my own pillow made me sleep better)

I think you're totally on the right track in everything you've been doing for your mom, your being there and talking away to her does make a huge, huge difference in all this, Emily...

Peace, Janet

Hi,

How is your mum doing?

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for asking. My mom is doing well. My mom was in the minimally conscious state for almost two years. And then she started to blurt out a word here and there. First it was random- she would reply “hi” this moment but would not respond the next moment. Then it started to be come more consistent; a word started to become a phrase, a phrase started to become a sentence, and a sentence started to become a conversation. It took some time but now she can carry out a conversation just fine. She gets confused but it is understandable after a brain injury.
It seems that you are going through a difficult time. Just want to send you love and support as the community has been doing for me.

I believe my mom’s recovery was due to the human interactions that stimulate her brain - from the friends/ families that visited her, the staff from the nursing home, and a day help that I hired for her. I always asked people to tell her about their day, what’s happening to them, or even read to her even though it seemed that she didn’t respond.