"Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings."

I had my ruptured brain aneurysm and subarachnoid hemorrhage in June 2018. By January 2020, I had just begun to feel comfortable and took the steps to rebuild my life. As a former teacher, I realized it might be too overwhelming to be in the classroom again, so I had gotten a job as a tutor. The job was supposed to start in March, but it was canceled due to Covid. Thankfully, I was able to stay with my parents at their house for a little over a year which turned out to be a silver lining. I could continue to recover and adapt. I was able to put a lot of things in perspective and feel more comfortable with uncertainty. Many of the goals I’d had before the aneurysm wasn’t as important to me now, so I would have to find new goals which could keep me consistently motivated. Being at ease with the uncertainty of the future has been difficult to achieve, but lately, it’s been easier. I have decided to go back to school for clinical mental health counseling, so I can help support people who are recovering from neurological disorders and injuries. As Joe Strummer of The Clash once said “The future is unwritten.” That can be a frightening prospect sometimes; but, perhaps there is a silver lining.

7 Likes

Good luck with your future endeavors. People need to understand the psychological challenges involved with this life altering event. It would be great for a therapist to provide these services.

1 Like

Thank you! I certainly hope I’ll be able to help, and I hope you are doing well.