Looking for information on arterial tortuosity

I am looking for information on arterial tortuosity. I have an unruptured left vertebral artery aneurysm, which was detected in May and an angiogram showed the tortuosity. I will have a repeat MRA next month, but will probably remain Wait and Watch. Previously, in 1997, I had an aneurysm rupture in my splenic artery.

Please let me know if you have any experience and/or information with tortuosity - including testing, treatment, etc.

Regards, Heather

I had no idea what tortuosity was, so I googled. From what I have read, there are only around 100 known cases of this disorder world wide (this was stated in quite a few articles). Has your doctor had other patients with this?

Heather, you aren't too far from AZ. Barrow in Phoenix has a long-distance opinion service and has some of the worlds' best for unusual spinal vascular anomalies. I know many patients who have had very successful outcomes there, and others who were provided with valuable guidance from the second opinion service. Here is the website: http://www.thebarrow.org/index.htm

Dancer...the Barrow Institute is excellent... Unfortunately, I was not in AZ when I had my first (of three) emergencies...before a basic CT-head...worse, for the treatment...

As in your connection...mine, too...I met a local after her return...Unique...a classmate of mine called me re: aneurysms...while she was in air-evac to St. J / Barrow...to ask questions for annie data to have for her family as they flew in...

I also have been a big promoter of two books on this BAF site...one by Robert Spetzler, MD, neuro and, another by Eric Nussbaum, MD, neuro...I still so promote those books....I have to go back in my outline notes to see if either noted tortuosity....

Thanks for sharing this data...it can be so well worth higher-mileage service... I have seen/compared the results of several ...more than several...

Dancermom said:

Heather, you aren't too far from AZ. Barrow in Phoenix has a long-distance opinion service and has some of the worlds' best for unusual spinal vascular anomalies. I know many patients who have had very successful outcomes there, and others who were provided with valuable guidance from the second opinion service. Here is the website: http://www.thebarrow.org/index.htm

Heather...

I had asked a lot (prior on this site) on tortuosity and more...

Tortuosity is the sharp turns on a number of different cerebral arteries...whether the initial access arteries or those close to/at the aneurysm...there is generally a fairly specific turn into the neck of an aneurysm...

We are also aware there are a number of us with stent implants in the artery over the neck of the aneurysm ... when the known FDA approved stents are for only wide-neck aneurysms...

(unless there is something newer of which I have not yet learned)

RE: your left VA...is the aneurysm at the initial tortuous turn of the VA...or where it turns to form the basilar artery... Did your doc tell you the segment of your left VA anatomy of the aneurysm?

Some of us have more grossly tortuous arteries...

The tortuous turns and concerns for potential failures I have not yet been able to find in the corporate application for coils nor in the review/approval by the FDA...

If any one learns of any data on potential arterial dissections at tortuous turns during the minimally invasive endovascular procedures...were addressed by the FDA, it would be great to share it here...

Based on the angiogram report, the tortuosity is also in other arteries - innominate, subclavian & cartoid, so getting clear views was challenging.The aneurysm of the vertebral artery is proximal to the PICA artery.

Given the amount of tortuosity my neurosurgeon did not recommend a stent. I have another MRA in a few weeks and depending on the outcome may look into Barrow, UCSD or UCLA for a second opinion, but currently I prefer to just have it watched.

Heather... You are blessed having a doc who addressed this with you...it is impressive...to have a doc take time to explain/review images with you...and, to use terminology of tortuosity...

I so well know about the tortuosity of my/any/all/arteries ...in my opinion, the direct turn into the neck of an aneurysm, or the turn of an artery branching off another, and anytime an artery bifurcates...there are tortuous turns...I could not even get an answer to my question(s) on tortuosity on this site up to a year ago...(cannot say exact time...can be a + or -)

My next thank you is for my learning innominate is aka brachiocephalic (sp)...I did not know the easier term innominate...Now, the real miracle will be if I can remember it...

W/o doubt, I am drawn to Barrow...for others I know treated there...so wish I had had that privilege... Your current doc is one of the few who is now known to have addressed tortuosity...again...you have been blessed...

Please keep us updated...prayers for you in your decision on watch time...I anticipate your doc will explain options on your watching/decision time...

Pat